Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
05 Accord EX v6 Sapphire
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to replace the Passenger side axle. And I can't seem to figure out how to pry the axle away from the transaxle? Am I supposed to remove the heat shield thingy? Go in from the bottom? You pry against the outter lip of the axle, right? not the smaller inner one that (at this point) seems completely flush to the tranny. I can't figure out where to get the pry bar in so I can leverage it against the axle and the something to pry off of.

2005 EX sedan with ABS. I've got the car apart so any timely advice is much appreciated! :confused:

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
There is a bracket that mounts to the engine that holds that axle in. IIRC, it is 3 bolts, and once removed (assuming the wheel is taken apart) it should pull right out......Not much prying needed. Just don't pull on the end of the shaft, you will pull the CV joints apart.....But if you are replacing, even this shouldn't matter.:lmao:

Jim

PS. I have a V6, not sure if it's the same on your car.

·
05 Accord EX v6 Sapphire
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a bracket that mounts to the engine that holds that axle in. IIRC, it is 3 bolts, and once removed (assuming the wheel is taken apart) it should pull right out......Not much prying needed. Just don't pull on the end of the shaft, you will pull the CV joints apart.....But if you are replacing, even this shouldn't matter.:lmao:

Jim

PS. I have a V6, not sure if it's the same on your car.
Thanks, Jim. I have the 3.0 v6. Looking at a downloaded manual, it looks like the bracket you described is the heat shield. And removing it will get me better access. Maybe a new day will bring me luck. And yes the inboard CV joint is apart. I don't think that should prevent the axle from popping off. So far I've not been able to apply much force to moving it outwards.

I will report back what happens. Not looking forward to driving my Neon (setup for the track) in the rain.:eek:

·
05 Accord EX v6 Sapphire
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a bracket that mounts to the engine that holds that axle in.
It looks like that bracket is what's between what the manual calls the drive shaft and the intermediate shaft. I was thinking I leave that altogether to just replace the drive shaft. Does that ring any bells? I'm totally lost now. I can't even get the bottom bolt off the heat-shield, there's no way to get to it with ratchet/wrench, it looks like the header makes a funny u-turn right there.

Thanks again. And if anybody else has any ideas, please feel free. I've worked on cars before, just not the Accord. I've done front and rear brakes. Replaced drive shaft in a SAAB 9000 and it was not this hard, but that car was a pain in other ways to wrench on.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
I'll get you a pic of the axle out of the car. Much easier to see what's going on with it out.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
First shot is of the heat shield in place.

Second is without heat shield, the three bolts go through.

Third is a pulled back view of the axle.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
^ Nice pix, I'm contemplating changing both drive axles next year to cure a small vibration that multiple tire balancing with two sets of tires at a very capable shop could not cure, I've seen similar in my old Integra, the axle replacement under extended warranty due to torn CV boots "magically" cured a similar vibration issue.

·
05 Accord EX v6 Sapphire
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Helpful picstures!

Now the rusty part, is that all one piece? or two?
The axle (drive shaft) I have looks like the black part that you have plus the fat rusty part on the left of the bracket in your photo. I was thinking that the drive shaft joined the inter-mediate shaft there. So if it's all one piece then 1) I have the wrong part, and 2) it makes sense why I can't pry it apart!

I was trying to leave all that stuff in there and just pry out the drive shaft part.
is that just not possible? when you disconnected all the bolts could you just slide everything with heat shield and bracket out the side?

Thanks so much. You've been a big help already. (do you have a lift?! ha ha)
~David

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Now the rusty part, is that all one piece? or two?
The axle (drive shaft) I have looks like the black part that you have plus the fat rusty part on the left of the bracket in your photo. I was thinking that the drive shaft joined the inter-mediate shaft there. So if it's all one piece then 1) I have the wrong part, and 2) it makes sense why I can't pry it apart!

I was trying to leave all that stuff in there and just pry out the drive shaft part.
is that just not possible? when you disconnected all the bolts could you just slide everything with heat shield and bracket out the side?

Thanks so much. You've been a big help already. (do you have a lift?! ha ha)
~David
That is all one part. It doesn't separate, it all comes out the side together. Once you get the bolts off this part, it will all come right out. In my case, those bolts were a pain to get out. I used an air ratchet to get them out.

No, I didn't use a lift. I had the car on jack stands. I was removing the transmission, and removing the axles was just part of getting the transmission out.....wish it would have stopped there.. now I have both the engine and transmission out. But did finish the rebuild on the transmission yesterday.

P.S. I just noticed, you are in Tenn.,,,,that shouldn't be more than an 8 hr drive over here. LOL You could help me get the subframe back in mine.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Jim (74f100) is a machine!

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Jim (74f100) is a machine!
I wouldn't say that, well may be a broke down one...LOL

Just very easy to get pics of everything with the whole car taken apart....I finished the timing belt today, so everything will start going back together...then I won't have parts laying around everywhere.

·
05 Accord EX v6 Sapphire
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Axle puller and Slide Hammer

I could never reach all the bolts with my air wrench.
Finally found the following on TL forum. Never had to do this, but it took like 5 minutes with the tools. I'd hammered and banged and pryed for 2.5 days.

You can rent a FWD axle puller 27058 & slide hammer 27033 from Autozone for free:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-FWD-Axle-Puller-Adapter/_/N-264u?counter=0&itemIdentifier=2061_0_0_

Click the image to open in full size.
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27033/image/4/

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-5-lbs-Slide-Hammer/_/N-25f1?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=27033&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=2047_0_0_

I cut the boot and pulled out the outer shaft leaving just the female end that connects to the intermediate shaft. Used the above too and it popped right off. Literally less than 5 minutes. I used big Zip ties to bind up the new axle so it couldn't stretch out. Putting it back together now. Checking here to make sure I out the wishbone in the right way. :)

·
lookin' clean
491 Posts
you took too much apart if your only doing a half shaft. use a block of wood and a hammer and separate the half shaft from the intermediate shaft.

look at your new part and see how long it looks, it should be identical. then you'll realize you took too much apart.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agree with digitalh3lix.

I did my passenger side half shaft and did not remove the entire axle!

·
05 Accord EX v6 Sapphire
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TL link

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843667

I found it by sheer luck. I had to hunt for it again as I didn't see it in my browser history. (weird.)

Anyway, definitely don't need to pull intermediate shaft. Although, that bearing apparently can and does go bad. I expect it should last awhile longer. The grease in my original looked good. I had a bent rim, which Firestink neglected to tell me. Idiots put on the replacement tire and put it on back (rotating tires). I later rotated them again. When that tire was on the front the vibration was immediately noticeable. I suspect that hitting the pothole that bent that rim might also have ended the life of the driveshaft/CV joint.

Car is back together and working fine.

Also, 74f100 had to remove tranny (I think) so he did indeed need to remove the intermediate shaft. I could have done that, I guess, but didn't want to.

Thanks for all the help!

·
07 Accord EX-L, 07 Pilot
2 Posts
2007 4 cyl 125k miles, right drive shaft just snapped pulling out at stop sign. When I replaced it, I now have a vibration under load, noticeable at highway speeds, plus at low speed the steering wheel seems to want to turn slightly left and right - say when idling along at about 1 - 5 mph. And when I make a turn at low speed, I feel a pulsing back through the steering wheel. Do you think the new shaft is defective, or was something else damaged? The bearing at the wheel feels perfect when jacked up and rotating by hand.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts