Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I have an ABS light that has been on for a while now (came on after I swapped out my winter tires last season.) I have a code reader that reads ABS codes but when I hook it up I don't get anything. How can I pull ABS codes on this car? I am having trouble with my brakes. They feel very weak and I feel like I'm fighting with them to stop the car.

Reason why I'm asking about the ABS is because I want to try and bleed my brakes, but I've heard air can get trapped in the ABS module and I want to try and lock up my brakes to activate the ABS to push any air out of the system before trying to bleed the brakes.

Basically, I want to bleed my brakes but before I do so I want to try to engage the ABS just in case there is any air trapped in the module. I don't really care about replacing any ABS sensors for any other reason then this.

Obviously I can't trigger the ABS if the light is on, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,044 Posts
No need to worry about the ABS module when bleeding brakes. Just crack open the bleeder and have at it.

Honda's recommended way: front left, front right, rear right, rear left.

I want to try and lock up my brakes to activate the ABS to push any air out of the system before trying to bleed the brakes.
You could also find a dirt road nearby and brake hard enough to cause the ABS to activate, then putter on home and change the fluid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to worry about the ABS module when bleeding brakes. Just crack open the bleeder and have at it.
What if there is air in the ABS module though? I heard air can get in there or something.
You could also find a dirt road nearby and brake hard enough to cause the ABS to activate, then putter on home and change the fluid.
The ABS will not activate right now from what I know, because the ABS light is on. Is that not true?

·
Turbo lag
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ABS may or may not work with it on. The normal brakes will work just fine though.

Go find a dirt road and test it.
Ok will do, thanks. From what I remember, when I locked up the brakes before, ABS didn't work. This was when the light was on. I'll give it another shot though.

·
Turbo lag
1,374 Posts
Is this safe?
It should be. It's not a hack, it's just taking advantage of how the car works. If you plug in the HDS, it'll short the pins together anyways when you run the test mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts