Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum members,

I have already upgraded all of my speakers and need to replace the factory amp. I have located and can see the factory amp (located behind the glovebox on the right side) but I haven't the slightest clue on how to remove it so that I can attach a 9 wire for my 5 channel amp.

Can anyone point provide any guidance and/ or would it be better to pull out the radio then find/cut the wires going to the stock amp and connect to the 9 wire that way?

Lastly, I will be connecting the 9 wire to an LC6. Where do I get the power for the LC6? Can I just run a splice from the + lead going from the battery to the amp and just running it to the LC6?

Thank you forum members.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Splice the speaker output wires at the headunit and reroute to your amp via the 9 wire from there.

Theres probably a way to disconnect power, though with it not receiving a signal it may not power up anyway. Not sure on that one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Only the "premium" system has the factory amp or do others models have it as well?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wouldn't cut into the factory harness. Either buy one of his harnesses or get 3 metra harnesses (2x 70-1729; 1x 71-1729). The reason you'll need 2 of the 70-1729's is because you'll have to modify one to populate the additional pins/wires that are missing by removing them from one by using a soldering iron.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Personally, I've never been a fan of cutting into a factory harness. It devalues the equipment in the car and 9 times out of 10 it's more trouble than it's worth.

There are ways to add aftermarket equipment without cutting any wires, which will allow you to put/plug back in the factory equipment in the car when you get rid of it or when you no longer want aftermarket equipment in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with you JB. But unfortunately I can't justify purchasing a $128 adapter.

Can you point me in the right direction on how to properly "setup" the 3 metra harnesses you were talking about? I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I agree with you JB. But unfortunately I can't justify purchasing a $128 adapter.

Can you point me in the right direction on how to properly "setup" the 3 metra harnesses you were talking about? I appreciate your help!
Look at it this way, if you get the adapter, you won't have to cut anything and all you have to do is simply plug and play. Personally, I would buy it if it were me.

I'm not sure if the metra harnesses will work with the EX-L since it has the premium sound system. Also, the radio may have different plugs for the speakers in the car because those leads are going to the factory amplifier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts