Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while I was driving I was making a right hand turn but I cut the corner a little too short and i scrapped against the curb, scrapping my rim tire badly. What it the best fix? Just sanding it down, painting it, or using some type of molding compound.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hm, It might be best to leave it alone, because an attempt at a repair might make it more obvious, but if you must, you can 800 grit the scratch to knock it down a bit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then your going to need to take a high speed buffer to with some compound then polish to bring back the shine because it will be dull

*Rememeber, you will not remove the rash completely, you will only make it look less obvious if done correcty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go to Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. and buy a tube of Plastic Metal. It will be in the auto
body supply section. Small tube, black and silver in color. Assuming you have a warm place to work, open the tube and apply some of the material to the scratched area. I use a popsickle stick, since it is small and easy to work on the rim edge. Fill in the scratch/dents, let dry overnight. Then wet send gently with 600 wet/dry sand paper. Once you have the surface smooth, let dry. Mask surrounding wheel area and then spray
paint the repair with Silver Wheel Paint (also in same section as the body supply material, usually). I have done this many times and the results are good if you take your time. If you want a shop to fix, look for "Wheel restoration" in yellow pages. The local wheel shops repair curb rash/scrapes and repaint so the wheel looks like new, though it might
be around $80-$100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts