Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
I am curious: how many engines have actually failed due to the rattle? Mine has about the same amount of mileage as the one in the video, and other than the annoying noise at cold starts, the car runs just fine.

I have also read that there is no permanent fix. Like the 6th Gen/early 7th Gen V6 automatic transmissions, it's only a matter of time before the rattle returns.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Just here for the food
1,869 Posts
I am curious: how many engines have actually failed due to the rattle? My has about the same amount of mileage as the one in the video, and other than the annoying noise at cold starts, the car runs just fine.

I have also read that there is no permanent fix. Like the 6th Gen/early 7th Gen V6 automatic transmissions, it's only a matter of time before the rattle returns.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!
If it’s anything to you, my ‘09 had no issues with the VTC actuator. Had it from 66k to 179k where I regretfully traded it in for a ‘14. I really had none of these well-known problems with the engine at all. At least not what I can recall lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
My '14 Earth Dreams has cold start rattle but unless I can be assured that it causes damage, and that the rattle won't come back... I'm gonna hold off on being worried.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
If it’s anything to you, my ‘09 had no issues with the VTC actuator. Had it from 66k to 179k where I regretfully traded it in for a ‘14. I really had none of these well-known problems with the engine at all. At least not what I can recall lol
Good to hear, but when you said no problem with the VTC, do you mean you didn't have the rattle at all? Or do you mean you had the rattle but no other symptoms?

My '14 Earth Dreams has cold start rattle but unless I can be assured that it causes damage, and that the rattle won't come back... I'm gonna hold off on being worried.
So it affects 9th Gens as well?

I have read that some other cars with variable valve timing also can have this issue, like Camry.

·
Just here for the food
1,869 Posts
Good to hear, but when you said no problem with the VTC, do you mean you didn't have the rattle at all? Or do you mean you had the rattle but no other symptoms?
No rattle! Only thing that probably ever bugged me was the whine from the power steering pump! Fixed after the o-ring was changed to the “new” one. On super super cold starts (I’m talking... car not driven in days, and it’s been snowing and <10°F all week) it’d still whine a little but would go away after warming up but in any other scenario, sounded good as new.

·
Registered
116 Posts

So it affects 9th Gens as well?

I have read that some other cars with variable valve timing also can have this issue, like Camry.
It definitely affects 9th gen. And it definitely also affects other manufacturers. Toyota, GM, Kia, Mazda, Ford.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts