Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the sway bar link in the driver's side tire in the near future. I took off the old one and it looks like it's going to be damn near impossible to tighten the sway bar link to the lower control arm because you can't fit an open wrench into the lower control arm to use both a hex key to hold the screw and an open wrench to tighten the nut.

How does one tighten these ****ers?

Thanks

· Michael
3,336 Posts
I saw a mechanic do it on a different model, so not sure if it will translate to 6th generation, but his solution was to use a jaw locking pliers to hold on to the larger metal section near the rubber and an impact socket to take it off and put it on. He didn't bother with the hex in the middle.

· one wheel drive
983 Posts
An impact wrench makes that job a lot easier but it can be done with basic tools. If the nut is really stubborn or if you strip out the allen hole, you can melt the plastic inside the link with a torch and pull the whole thing apart. Then you just have the ball which you can hold still with vice grips. The new end link should go together better simply holding the ball still with an allen key and tightening the nut with your wrench. I'm not sure what you're having trouble with?? It's relatively easy access.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think to use vice grip pliers. I don't own any but I I'll buy some soon. That would work. I just didn't think I could use an open wrench and a hex key on the lower control arm because the nut is recessed into the control arm and it seems like you could only tighten the nut using a socket wrench.

A socket wrench and vice grip pliers with a new sway bar link and nuts should do the trick.

Thanks.

· one wheel drive
983 Posts
Oh right, it is a little bit tougher on that end but I seem to remember mine going back together without a hassle. Don't use the vice grips on the new endlink or it might screw up the bushing inside. Or if you have needle nose vice grips to hold the ball end near the threads without damage until the nut snugs up that might be an option. Worst case, see if you can rent or borrow an electric impact gun.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did end up ordering a moog sway bar link and outer tie rod end. (I wrecked the car recently and these two parts broke/bent). I can't wait to put them on and at least have a drivable car. I'll worry about the passenger fender and door later.

Thanks for the tips. I'll go with the needle nose pliers and socket wrench.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am going to replace the sway bar link in the driver's side tire in the near future. I took off the old one and it looks like it's going to be damn near impossible to tighten the sway bar link to the lower control arm because you can't fit an open wrench into the lower control arm to use both a hex key to hold the screw and an open wrench to tighten the nut.

How does one tighten these ****ers?

Thanks
i am having the same problem. I can not fit anything on the nut to tighten it. did you ever find a solution?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.