Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· 2017 Accord Touring
18 Posts
How to turn off "Maintenance Due Soon A1" notification? Owners Manual, Page 510

I'm only at 5,500 miles with my '17 Accord and the "Maintenance Due Soon" warning came up on the dash - it completely replaced the circle that showed my MPG & odometer and I can't figure out how to remove the notification. The only thing that the manual & internet tells you how to do is reset the oil life meter after an oil change. How can I get this done?

On a side note, why is this appearing after only 5,500 miles? I thought it was supposed to be 7,500?

· Runnin' in the 90s
6,506 Posts
If you didn't find an answer in the owner's manual, it might be only a shop can reset it, somehow. But I'm pretty sure you should be able to turn that off yourself. Did you thumb through the whole manual?

· V6 6MT CBP
2,979 Posts
There is no set mileage for the maintenance minder to tell you to do something.

After changing your oil, you can reset it via the instructions in your manual. This is resetting the oil life meter.

· Cruising in Montana
5,081 Posts
On a side note, why is this appearing after only 5,500 miles? I thought it was supposed to be 7,500?
Because the computer has detected you're driving in such a manner/location that requires the A1 service @ about 6,000 miles.

The maintenance minder is dynamic; it changes depending on the way you drive, which is dictated partly by what kind of traffic you deal with. Stop & go, short distance, long distance, coolant temp, RPM's, etc are used in this calculation. I get to 0% after about 8,000 miles. City drivers may get to 0% after only 4,000 miles.

· Registered
362 Posts
I'm only at 5,500 miles with my '17 Accord and the "Maintenance Due Soon" warning came up on the dash - it completely replaced the circle that showed my MPG & odometer and I can't figure out how to remove the notification. The only thing that the manual & internet tells you how to do is reset the oil life meter after an oil change. How can I get this done?

To remove it from your dashboard simply push the odometer reset dial (light dimmer as well). At least that's how it's done on my '13. When you push it to scroll between trip A, trip B, and all the other display options. That will get rid of it, but it will show up every time you turn on your car again.

As others have stated that it does vary based on how you drive, but also keep in mind that 'soon' could mean in about 2000 more miles, which would then put you at your first estimate of 7500.

· V4 Watch
936 Posts
You know, its funny you two posted those in that order, because i'm pretty sure the warden shot himself later in that movie. I don't remember what it was called, but I liked it.

OP, maintenance notification should reset at the same time the oil life is reset. It assumes you do everything it says you should do. To reset: Hold the trip meter thingy down when it is on oil life, hold it down until it starts blinking, let go of it and then push and hold it down again until it is reset. If that doesn't work, hold it down the entire time.

-Someone who used to do this crap for a job.

· Banned
14,456 Posts
The Shawshank Redemption is the name of the movie....

Interesting story behind this Stephen King-based book (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption) turned into a movie:

When it first came out (1994), it did not do well at all. But the good people at Blockbuster video kept track of rentals- and noticed that it was always in the top 5 in just about every market in the USA. Word of mouth made that movie a favorite- even into the late 1990s- it was always one of the most requested rentals. Then TV Guide or People magazine or one of those "fluff" magazines asked readers if they had to go to the moon for the rest of their lives and only have one movie- which would it be? And this movie won.

(Obviously, Charles Bronson's Death Wish parts 1-4 were not listed as a choice, which is why they did not win despite Jeff Goldblum's first movie appearance [he played a thug]. I had breakfast with Goldblum in his home state of Pennsylvania back in 2000- all the waitresses were fawning over him and he bought everyone breakfast. I mean, EVERYONE in the place. He thought I was strange because I asked him what it was like to work with Charles Bronson, his fellow Pennsylvanian.)

Family Guy had a hilarious parody of the movie.

Banker/inmate Andy Dufresne worked at the Shawshank prison library and taught other inmates to read. He would have taught the Accord manual to the inmates- much as we teach the manual to in-, ...er, members here. Circle of life....

Reactions: enne

· Runnin' in the 90s
6,506 Posts
He thought I was strange because I asked him what it was like to work with Charles Bronson.
This always comes to mind whenever I hear "Charles Bronson"... Now it's stuck in my head, thanks Rick!

· Banned
14,456 Posts
OMG!

That is the strangest commercial I have ever seen. He throws his shirt in the air then starts dancing. Why didn't he snap the neck of the doorman who told him to "sleep tight." Why is anyone telling Charles Bronson to "sleep tight"?

What the hell is happening? I need an adult!

· BRWNFLSH now
7,640 Posts
I hope that perfume wasn't strong. You would smell him coming from a mile away.

· Runnin' in the 90s
6,506 Posts
You can thank Japan for that. Thank my BF too because he was the one that showed it to me years ago; I think he actually has this song on vinyl. (Side note, I know what BF is getting for Christmas, I just ordered a bottle for $11 straight from Japan.)
I hope that perfume wasn't strong. You would smell him coming from a mile away.
Apparently it was, and still is, fantastic smelling but it fades quickly. Yes, they still make it. See Amazon review text below.
Thank you Mr. Bronson, I'll take it from here... I can honestly say the only reason I bought this is because of the Charles Bronson commercials from Japan and I was not disappointed.

It has a rich leathery/tobacco body scent with a hint of talcum. I need to shower and wear it for a few hours to see how it holds up. Presentation is good, very unique cap and bottle. Does have a splasher top so you can shake it on at your leisure depending on strong you want it. Not an every day scent, but good to keep in the arsenal.

If I have to fight off any women because they just want to get close and smell me, I'll let you know.

· Registered
3,109 Posts

Just to add to the "hint" that @namegoeshere added, but MM is persistent. You'll have to clear that MM reminder every time you restart the engine, until the service is done and MM has been reset.

Attachments

· Banned
14,456 Posts
You can thank Japan for that. Thank my BF too because he was the one that showed it to me years ago; I think he actually has this song on vinyl. (Side note, I know what BF is getting for Christmas, I just ordered a bottle for $11 straight from Japan.)

@enne you are the best! Thank you!

Ordered!

· Registered
372 Posts

My first oil change warning came up about 9,000 miles. It depends on your driving habits and city vs highway. I believe the warning starts at 15% oil life. If you scroll through your trip displays you should see oil life indicator. You can take this all the way down to 5% or lower before oil change if you wish.

· Registered
3,109 Posts
hmm, makes no sense for this to go off at 5,500 miles. Nothing but local highway driving.

To answer the question on where I got the 7,500 miles thing - it was on this dealership's blog post - 2017 Honda Accord oil change schedule
As already mentioned, the Maintenance Minder calculates remaining oil life based on driving conditions, eg length of trips, number of engine starts, average speed, etc.

MM started showing 15% oil life on my '16 EX CVT Coupe at ~5500 miles too. I had the first change at ~6500 miles (still showing 15%). Second time, it starting showing 15% at ~13K miles. I waited until it got to 5% at ~15K, which included a long trip through the mountains and then lots of local stop/go. So on average, that's ~7.5K between changes, with n=2.

I'd follow the MM which knows your car first hand rather than some dealer's blog post...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.