Chapter 18 - Bigger Turbo
Since I chose to go with a semi-weird setup, further customization had to be made. Starting with a custom wastegate actuator bracket since I couldn't find an appropriate one.
I reused the TRITDT actuator as it worked well for me and help me save some cost.
The install is pretty straightforward. The only difference was that I had to add a spacer behind my manifold adapter as the compressor housing was too big to fit behind the adapter correctly.
The downpipe was also modified accordingly to work with the new turbo. I did all the mock up and the welding was done locally in Columbus by Moorespeed Performance. The new downpipe setup was a really tight fit between the axle, the steering rack heatshield and the subframe. So much so that the downpipe had to be placed in position roughly BEFORE the turbo could be installed.
New turbo also saw a change in the air filter placement. The filter is now brought up to right above the transmission. This helped the filter stay clean for longer and much more easily accessible for wash/replacement. The new placement also allows for easy future addition of a constant vacuum source.
Minor changes were made to the coolant line to clean things up a bit.
Also, since the new turbo doesn't have a built-in recirculating BOV, a dedicated BOV was used. I chose the Turbosmart Vee Port Pro for it's compact size and quietness. The new BOV was placed next to the battery, where it's easily serviceable and won't get too dirty. (I for some reason don't have a picture of it)
The choice to stick with an internal wastegate and the compactness of my manifold adapter has it's benefits. The compactness allows me to keep the turbo with it's exhaust side on the passenger side and intake side on the driver side. The few other builds on this platform all had the turbo placement reversed most likely due to fitment issues.
Despite everything, the turbo still sits s**** close to the rear engine mount. I did do some testing and at full flex, the turbo does not make contact with the mount. But just incase, I filled the empty space in the engine mount with rubber cut off from old engine mounts to make a custom semirigid engine mount to reduce any chances of contact.
It is also worth noting that before I installed the new setup, I went through and replaced all the engine mounts with new ones and the rear one is not accessible after turbo install.
I also had to upgrade the injectors to a set of 1000cc EV14 injectors by Deatschwerks as I was already maxing out the duty cycle on the RDX injectors with the old turbo.
To be continued...