Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ballin' on a budget
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I started noticing a humming noise coming from the front end of my car. It seems to only happen at low speeds (15 mph or less), and gets louder when I take a left hand turn. My guess is that its a wheel bearing, any thoughts?

We are going to replace the lugnuts/wheel studs, I'm thinking that the humming I'm hearing is the front left wheel bearing that may have been damaged when it was hit... My brother works at a shop and can press the bearing in/out for me, so I can get it done for cost of parts and a case of beer.

Does anyone have any suggestions for determining if the sound is infact a wheel bearing? I don't want to replace it for no reason..

Back story : I bought the 06/6/6 coupe accord with 5300 miles on it 2 months ago. I thought I got an awesome cherry on my hands, I had my brother check it out and ran the carfax, both said that it has never been hit. This weekend my brother and I replaced the front rotors on the car when he noticed 2 of the wheel studs and lug nuts were stripped bare, I don't even know how they got the lug nuts to stay on the bolt it was that bad. My brother took a closer inspection and saw dust spots under the paint all along the left side of the car, leading him to believe it was hit on the front left and repaired/painted.

·
Registered
682 Posts
So recently I started noticing a humming noise coming from the front end of my car. It seems to only happen at low speeds (15 mph or less), and gets louder when I take a left hand turn. My guess is that its a wheel bearing, any thoughts?

We are going to replace the lugnuts/wheel studs, I'm thinking that the humming I'm hearing is the front left wheel bearing that may have been damaged when it was hit... My brother works at a shop and can press the bearing in/out for me, so I can get it done for cost of parts and a case of beer.

Does anyone have any suggestions for determining if the sound is infact a wheel bearing? I don't want to replace it for no reason..

Back story : I bought the 06/6/6 coupe accord with 5300 miles on it 2 months ago. I thought I got an awesome cherry on my hands, I had my brother check it out and ran the carfax, both said that it has never been hit. This weekend my brother and I replaced the front rotors on the car when he noticed 2 of the wheel studs and lug nuts were stripped bare, I don't even know how they got the lug nuts to stay on the bolt it was that bad. My brother took a closer inspection and saw dust spots under the paint all along the left side of the car, leading him to believe it was hit on the front left and repaired/painted.
It's just your car. It's happier at lower speeds so it hums. Sounds like a very content car to me.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Usually a failing wheel bearing will make a murmur noise and get louder as you go faster. Making a left or right you would hear a clicking/squealing (like a spring in a bed) sound if you had a failing CV joint.

Yes an accident could cause a wheel bearing to fail prematurely, but also a pothole, or repeated hits into the curb could also cause it to fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts