Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Haroon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I joined this website to rectify exactly the same problem afrorementioned !!!

I have '08 Accord US Version, 2.4 Liter. It has 39000 miles on it and I just bought it a week ago, whilst buying I didn't noticed the sound but after purchasing I started recognizing this humming sound which is not at all igonoreable. I detect this sound to be coming from passenger's compartment. (Which is exactly in the same direction behind the power-steering pump under the hood).

Sound is really audible at idle speed and variates as I hit the throttle during idle. It goes up with the throttle and goes down as well but maintains itself.

It sounds like a bearing is giving up somwhere, i dont know where? could be the belt tensioner bearing or a bearing within power steering pump?

What is it ?? What needs to be fixed!

Please help !

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
i went to the dealership the other day (Canadian dealer), and noticed that there's a technical service bulletin for a humming sound at 3,000 RPM. Of course they wouldn't print me the TSB and I don't remember seeing it mentioned here (i could be wrong). You could call and ask if there's a TSB for your problem at your dealership and go from there.

·
Second gear slammer!
461 Posts
check your power steering fluid as well.

·
Registered
968 Posts
mine just started to do this this year. I can hear is just about all the time now when my fan is at full blast. Im going to print out the TSB and take to my dealer.

·
Haroon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sound is steady even at 0.8/0.9 RPM when at idle and then increase if I increase the RPM to upto 2.

Steering Fluid is full but the quality does not seems that good, I just bought this car a week ago and the previous guy has used an ordinary ATF fluid in the steering fluid. I was thinking to flush it and use original OEM Honda steering fluid, Any suggestion on this approach?

PS. This is not the turbo like sound as posted and discussed in the other thread.

·
Haroon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Blower Motor.

The sound is Not coming off blower motor since the sound is there as is; whether AC/Heater blower is turned on or off.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Could be the power steering, but since you mentioned pass compartment I threw out the blower motor possibility since its right there behind the dash

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I am going to say the vehicle had the o-ring issue in PS pump . As that would be only reason to have to add fluid with low mileage . Now hopefully the o-ring was replaced and fluid didn't go to low to harm pump .
Many times if there a leak and pump runs dry it is damaged and will make noise .
I would use Honda PS fluid too not AFT .

·
lol wut
570 Posts
Yeah, what's up with using auto tranny fluid (otherwise known as ATF) in a PS reservoir? Isn't there a dedicated PS fluid that you're supposed to use? Lol already sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i hear this sound as well and i suspect that its the blower. I had this same issue on my 92 civic...

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Yeah, what's up with using auto tranny fluid (otherwise known as ATF) in a PS reservoir? Isn't there a dedicated PS fluid that you're supposed to use? Lol already sounds fishy to me.
A lot of vehicles spec ATF for the PS fluid. Honda says to only use Honda PS fluid. Not sure if the Honda PS fluid is just a relabeled ATF or not. You can search on BITOG and find out.

·
lol wut
570 Posts
A lot of vehicles spec ATF for the PS fluid. Honda says to only use Honda PS fluid. Not sure if the Honda PS fluid is just a relabeled ATF or not. You can search on BITOG and find out.
Really? Haha I never knew that, I've always used actual 'Power Steering' fluid in previous Accord. Learn something new everyday I guess :thmsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having the same problem too and its only when I reach at least 3rd gear, you hear the humming noise increase in pitch as you increase in speed. I'm not too inclined on cars but can this have a negative effect on my car in the long run?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts