Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing and driving the hybrid accord in Japan, I was very interested in the Digital Speedometer.

Now that the hybrid is in the states, does anyone know if the digital speedometer is compatible and functional in the other accords? minus the hybrid gauge portion of course. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't think we have a digital speedometer but I'm not 100% sure since I drop the EX-L we had in the shop with a needle just like a non-hybrid EX-L.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The current Civic models have a partial digital instrumentation. The speedometer is a digital readout but the tachometer is a mechanical analog gauge. I was surprised that the 9th generation Accord didn't have digital, or at least LCD screens with analog gauges. Personally, I like mechanical analog gauges. The digital information panel in the center of the speedometer is sometimes difficult to read when sunlight is coming into the car from behind. Honda probably stayed with analog instrumentation on the Accord because the Accord is aimed at an older customer who might not like digital everything. While the Civic is aimed at a younger customer. The Hybrid instruments appear to be an LCD representation of analog instruments.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
I had a Civic previously. I enjoyed the two tiered dash with the digital gauges, however that style wouldn't seem fitting for the Accord IMO.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Hybrid has a analog speedometer, but digital gauges in the center for other things, like mpg. It can get a little confusing if your mpg is about 55 and then you glance down for speed and see 55 in the center. I've had a moment of surprise when I thought I was doing 65 and looked down to see 56 mpg… :D

That pic is a decent one. The ring is all analog, with nice backlighting. Only the circle in the middle is a digital screen.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
The Hybrid has a analog speedometer, but digital gauges in the center for other things, like mpg. It can get a little confusing if your mpg is about 55 and then you glance down for speed and see 55 in the center. I've had a moment of surprise when I thought I was doing 65 and looked down to see 56 mpg… :D
56 MPG! Meh... I'm jealous.

·
Registered
514 Posts
56 MPG! Meh... I'm jealous.
Haha, well, with the Plug-In, you start with an infinite MPG, jump to 199.9 mpg, then drop from there as you start to use gas… You usually end up between 40 and 51'ish depending on driving conditions afterwards. Still good, but don't be too jealous about 56. :)

I did average about 70mpg on one tank when I plugging in a lot. But you really have to plan to plug in as much as possible. That's really unusual (at least for me.)

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
Haha, well, with the Plug-In, you start with an infinite MPG, jump to 199.9 mpg, then drop from there as you start to use gas… You usually end up between 40 and 51'ish depending on driving conditions afterwards. Still good, but don't be too jealous about 56. :)

I did average about 70mpg on one tank when I plugging in a lot. But you really have to plan to plug in as much as possible. That's really unusual (at least for me.)
Do you know what your average is on gasoline only? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do you know what your average is on gasoline only? Just curious. Thanks.
I just ran two full tanks, starting with a low battery, one with econ mode on, and one with econ mode off. No charging, to show hybrid only mileage in the PHEV. The car is still under ~5000 miles, so curious how things look in a couple months as well.

I got 42.4 mpg w/o econ, and 45.8 mpg with econ. This was mixed driving, in the philly suburban area, with the recent onset of cold weather. Those are full tank numbers as measured by the car. I didn't do the math yet myself, will post that up later.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I much prefer the analog gauges as they just seem easier to read at a quick glance, much like the face of a clock you can get a quick snap of info by where the dials are pointing. I did like the digital heads up display on one of my previous cars, looked like a hologram out in front of you at night, very clear to read, digital speed and a curvature of well placed colored bars wrapped around the digital speed for rpms.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I much prefer the analog gauges as they just seem easier to read at a quick glance, much like the face of a clock you can get a quick snap of info by where the dials are pointing. I did like the digital heads up display on one of my previous cars, looked like a hologram out in front of you at night, very clear to read, digital speed and a curvature of well placed colored bars wrapped around the digital speed for rpms.
I am old school and I agree with you. Unfortunately, the world is going more and more digital. The aviation industry is going full steam with vertical digital displays of altitude and airspeed. They are harder to interpret because you have to read the number vs. seeing a needle pointing to an area on an analog gauge. You know you are getting old when the young people call round gauges, "steam gauges".

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
I got 42.4 mpg w/o econ, and 45.8 mpg with econ. This was mixed driving, in the philly suburban area, with the recent onset of cold weather. Those are full tank numbers as measured by the car. I didn't do the math yet myself, will post that up later.
What is your driving style like? Do you hypermile to get those numbers (i.e. slow starts, avoiding stoplights, watching your MPG gauge, etc)?

I got 44 MPG yesterday over 250 miles of highway (Charlotte to Atlanta), but that was really babying it (hypermiling). Average speed was around 60 MPH.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What is your driving style like? Do you hypermile to get those numbers (i.e. slow starts, avoiding stoplights, watching your MPG gauge, etc)?

I got 44 MPG yesterday over 250 miles of highway (Charlotte to Atlanta), but that was really babying it (hypermiling). Average speed was around 60 MPH.
I'm a little careful on acceleration, but not hypermiling by any means. So I'd call it conservative acceleration, with a little eye to regenerative braking when it works out (I'm not yo-yo'ing behind people in traffic, I'm trying to conserve gas a little.)

Those two tanks where a "what's the average mpg when you drive it normally, without being extra aggressive."

The challenge on the hybrids seems to be figuring out what the efficiency is in electric mode, since the car gives you no indication of this. The mpg slider pegs at 80mpg when the gas engine stops...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Interestingly, I thought some something that might be handy for a HUD early this week during our first (non-sticking) snow. Was out about 8pm, and even with the LEDs and fogs on, couldn't see the lines on the road for anything, and even was scolded by the LDW nag a couple times:

Why not project a HUD image of what the LDW camera is seeing on the windshield?! That can't be that difficult! Wouldn't need it all the time, but in a heavy rain/snow/whatever on a road without reflective "Botts dots," that display would come in pretty handy! :yes:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Interestingly, I thought some something that might be handy for a HUD early this week during our first (non-sticking) snow. Was out about 8pm, and even with the LEDs and fogs on, couldn't see the lines on the road for anything, and even was scolded by the LDW nag a couple times:

Why not project a HUD image of what the LDW camera is seeing on the windshield?! That can't be that difficult! Wouldn't need it all the time, but in a heavy rain/snow/whatever on a road without reflective "Botts dots," that display would come in pretty handy! :yes:
Great idea! The only drawback is that the current video system has limitations that could lead to an accident and could open Honda to liability. The following warning is from the owner's manual:

Important Safety Reminder Like all assistance systems, LDW has limitations. Over-reliance on LDW may result in a collision. It is always your responsibility to keep the vehicle within your driving lane.

LDW only alerts you when lane drift is detected without a turn signal in use. LDW may not detect all lane markings or lane departures; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and lane marker condition. It is always your responsibility to safely operate the vehicle and avoid collisions.

If the lane markings are being projected onto the windshield directly in front of the driver it could be considered over-reliance on the LDW system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts