Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was experimenting, trying to find out why my car was having such low mileage compared to reported figures. I turned off "ECO" mode today and immediately noticed the car driving in "EV" mode for longer and the electric motor assist was also stronger with the instant fuel consumption gauge staying way above 40MPG and for longer periods.

It has warmed up here :banana: and temperatures are now in the high 20s, but I feel the car performs more like a hybrid now, utilizing more of its in built technology and not just the ICE.

Anyone with a Hybrid on here could try this also and report back. Mine is on FUELLY and I will post results with my current tank of gas driving with "ECO" mode off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was experimenting, trying to find out why my car was having such low mileage compared to reported figures. I turned off "ECO" mode today and immediately noticed the car driving in "EV" mode for longer and the electric motor assist was also stronger with the instant fuel consumption gauge staying way above 40MPG and for longer periods.

It has warmed up here :banana: and temperatures are now in the high 20s, but I feel the car performs more like a hybrid now, utilizing more of its in built technology and not just the ICE.

Anyone with a Hybrid on here could try this also and report back. Mine is on FUELLY and I will post results with my current tank of gas driving with "ECO" mode off.

I haven't tried turning off eco yet except for very short distances when I test drove and when I first got the car. I actually thought this button only controlled how the climate control worked based on the owners manual but apparently upon further research it changes the performance of the car greatly.

I've driven 3700 miles in eco so it will be interesting to see if I experience the same results as you. I'm pretty familiar with how EV mode behaves in eco mode so I should be able to tell any differences even if subtle. I've averaged 42.1 MPG in all different kinds of driving conditions/weather. Do you notice a huge difference in performance as well?

I will turn off eco mode on my way home and report back.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/stlhonda/accord-2

·
Registered
514 Posts
ECO mode also changes the accelerator power curve. You'll even notice it if you are driving at a moderate speed 20-40 mph and press the button. You'll feel the car slow or jump a little as it changes the throttle curve.

I'm not sure how much that really helps efficiency, but with it on it basically gives you a little less power for the same pedal position. It seems to help you accelerate a little less aggressively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does Eco Mode have any effect on coolant temps and heat? The Prius Eco Mode will allow the coolant temp to drop under 110F with the heat on without starting the ICE just to make heat. In "Normal" mode the Prius will turn on the ICE at 140F to make heat. Our Fusion Hybrid doesn't have an Eco Mode and will only allow the coolant to drop to 120F before turning on the ICE just to make heat. Eco Mode in the Prius is really useful in winter because it allows the ICE to run less and thus you get higher MPG.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does Eco Mode have any effect on coolant temps and heat?
The picture below shows a snip from the owners manual pdf. This is what the owners manuals says about the Econ button.

Our cars have an electric heating element as well. I've been trying to understand its purpose. Maybe they put it in there in case the engine is too cold to make heat. Like at first start. Then when the coolant is hot it switches to that for heat?

I would like to know how and when each heater is used.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is a pic of the heating element. To its right you can see the heater core.

I imagine the electric heating element sucks mad power and is not used for very long.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
I finally looked up the heater circuit on the tech info site.

It's an electric coolant heater in the coolant heater loop. It can heat the coolant to 158F if the engine has not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ECO Mode turned off

I just experimented with a short 8.8 mile city trip with ECO mode both off and on.

ECO On: 37.8mpg
ECO Off: 43.1mpg

Strangely, keeping ECO off has seemed to help in my situation. Of course, it's the dead of summer in Florida at the moment, and having the ECO mode off forced me to keep the A/C much lower to stay comfortable (70deg vs 75deg). Both factors seem to make a difference.

YMMV

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is interesting...I've always calculated by hand my MPG's on all of my previous cars. Just bought the '15 Accord Hybrid Touring...drove it home from Bellevue with Eco OFF...now I'm on the tank of Chevron where I've turned it on.

I'm usually a very sensitive driver, but I'm still getting used to the Honda system after having 13 Toyota's (4 of which were/are hybrids). My Avalon had a "Sport" mode that really made it go.

I love the way I seem to only see positive things rather than issues like I had with my Avalon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I finally looked up the heater circuit on the tech info site.

It's an electric coolant heater in the coolant heater loop. It can heat the coolant to 158F if the engine has not.
The plug in hybrid differs from the standard hybrid in that it does not have the electric air heating element but instead has an electric coolant heater. The standard hybrid does not have the electric coolant heater. My assumption, that you could verify since you have a plug in, is that the plug in's electric coolant heater preheats the engine and coolant used by the heater while the car is plugged in.

I'm considering installing an aftermarket plug in electric coolant heater on my hybrid in order to raise MPG's in the winter.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The plug in hybrid differs from the standard hybrid in that it does not have the electric air heating element but instead has an electric coolant heater. The standard hybrid does not have the electric coolant heater. My assumption, that you could verify since you have a plug in, is that the plug in's electric coolant heater preheats the engine and coolant used by the heater while the car is plugged in.

I'm considering installing an aftermarket plug in electric coolant heater on my hybrid in order to raise MPG's in the winter.
The plug-in actually has two partial loops. The electric coolant heater can heat coolant just in the cabin heater loop, a solenoid valve cuts out the engine inlet. I assume that when the engine is engaged that the coolant will be partly heated because of the mixing of the two loops at that point, but it doesn't describe it that way in the tech docs.

I have found that pre-heating while plugged in, then not running the cabin heat, leads to very good has mileage even when very cold.

If you pre-heat, then run the cabin heat at 68deg, the mpg is fairly low (~36mpg today, at 20degF, this morning, for example.) This compares to a similar commute which I can do at around 60-70mpg in warmer temperatures, without heat or AC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts