Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I bought the seat belt buckle assembly from a used accord that was being parted out. replaced my old one, and problem fixed. Needed to unbolt the driver seat. But so far so good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had my 04 in the dealers shop for the air bag recall. After I dropped it off I thought about this seat belt problem and gave them a call. They said they noticed the light and it would cost me over $100 to fix. I asked if it was covered by the lifetime warranty and he said no. Just my luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also just got my car back from the dealer who fixed the air bags because of the recall and the dealer knows the seat belt buckle is bad and the air bags will not deploy but they did not even tell me this they just let me drive off with this safty issue unresolved I feel it is unresponsable of the dealer not to fix these buckles as part of the recall it has bad business written all over it these buckles should have a life time warranty cause they are saftey equipment

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I also just got my car back from the dealer who fixed the air bags because of the recall and the dealer knows the seat belt buckle is bad and the air bags will not deploy but they did not even tell me this they just let me drive off with this safty issue unresolved I feel it is unresponsable of the dealer not to fix these buckles as part of the recall it has bad business written all over it these buckles should have a life time warranty cause they are saftey equipment
I got my driver's side buckle replaced under lifetime warranty back in 2011. Of course, I'm in the U.S. Since you guys don't have your locations stated, there is a big question mark there.

I PDF my receipts so attempting to copy it here. Some of it copies in as gibberish but you get the idea. I blocked out names.

LINE OPCODE TECH TYPE HOURS LIST NET TOTAL
A CUSTOMER STATES SRS LfGHT ON SOP BUCKLE HERE
CAUSE: A40-RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) - RETRIEVE CODES WITH
THE HDS OR ACCESS FLASH
7526 #########J LIC# : ####W

1 04816_SDC_A1.2ZA BUCKLE SET *NH167L*
8 5 518 5 FRONT SHOULDER BELT BUCKLE , LEFT . .-
REPLACE. S /B# O1- 055 S/B # 92-012 S/B# 01-056

823503 DTAGNOSTTC TROUBLE CODES / SUPPLEMENTAL

7 52 6 #######################''
W
CC: 03205
FC: 03214
PART#: 04816-SDC-A12ZA '
COUNT: 1 '
PARTS: O. OO LABOR: O. OO:]. OTHUN!. . ., . O. OO TOTAL LINE dIT"

·
Mike
779 Posts
FYI: In my original posts I stated that it is very rare for a micro switch to go intermittent, I came to the conclusion that the fault was not in the switch contacts.

I can now state for a fact, this behaviour of the seat belt buckle is almost always caused by the tiny rubber cover that fits over the micro switch plunger, just pull it off and you're done. The switch should now continue to work for the life of the switch, which for a micro switch is usually around 3,000,000 cycles (minimum)

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're a hero mike I think i finally got all these lights sorted out by loosening that little piece of rubber. we'll see next time i drive it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Didn't work, took off the rubber dam, sprayed out the inside with contact cleaner and the airbag light still comes on if the passenger seatbelt isn't buckled :/

·
Mike
779 Posts
I'm assuming that someone is sitting in the seat? If not, you have a problem with the seat weight sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had the seat weight sensor recalibrated a few days ago at the dealer! The light used to come on whenever i had a passenger regardless of the seatbelt but now it's just the seatbelt triggering it.

·
Mike
779 Posts
It still sounds like a problem somewhere else, logically, it would be stupid of HONDA to program the SRS system to take any notice of the passenger seatbelt buckle -> if there was NO passenger in the seat. Still sounds like it's detecting a passenger?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
It still sounds like a problem somewhere else, logically, it would be stupid of HONDA to program the SRS system to take any notice of the passenger seatbelt buckle -> if there was NO passenger in the seat. Still sounds like it's detecting a passenger?
Yes Mike, it makes sense to me, the only way the passenger seatbelt buckle should affect the SRS light, is if there is someone in (or detected to be in) the passenger seat. Does having someone in, or out of the passenger seat make any difference?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I need to check into the local dealer to see if it is covered by the lifetime warranty. They said nothing when I had the car in last summer for the recall. Do I just ask if the buckle is included with the warranty now that the car is older?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
When I took the car in for my SRS seatbelt buckle light, I was not charged for anything. After they finished their diagnosis and informed me of what the issue was, they then told me that the part is covered under lifetime warranty unless the part was tampered with or from a junkyard (not original). In the end, I was not charged anything.

Reactions: DaErh21

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Look out for that tiny seal around the plunger shaft - this appears to be the main problem - not the internal contacts.

Seatbelt switch - Towards the bottom of the page.
First encountered this issue just once a couple of months ago, but now it has returned since yesterday.

Guess I've got yet another Accord project added to the list...

EDIT: I was able to take the covers off without removing the buckle assembly from the seat frame, had a good look and played with the switch a bit, decided for now I will just slightly reshaped the microswitch actuating lever to generate more travel into the microswitch plunger seal. Will see how this goes in the long(er) term. If the issue returns, then I'll cut the seal off and see if it helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I finally remembered to call the dealer, it "may" be covered under warranty. They would need to check it out first.. I despise taking my car to the dealer (have a dedicated mechanic that I go to) because they are so slow.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is there a picture of the rubber cover? I looked at the link Aviography posted, and was not sure I saw it.
I live in canada. My dealer was not any use. Asked me to pay diagnostic fee and etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, thought I would add my findings to the thread, great pics BTW.

I have been having problems with the Air-Bag light for some time. When it first happened I had a look at the codes (I have a Honda HIM and Honda software running on my car-pc) and it identified the Driver seat belt sensor.

I’m in no position at the moment to go down the dealer path and as I was removing the seat for another project, I decided to take a look at the buckle.

This condition had been getting worse and if I watched the lights closely I noticed that every so often the seat belt indicator was not coming on as the seat belt was released. I was interested to see if the metal actuating slide that drives the micro-switch lever could be binding in any way.

Well it wasn’t, and the Micro-switch lever was not bent or fatigued. Micro switches normally have a definite click as the internal spring loaded switch flicks between the two contacts and this is independent of how fast or how far the actuating lever travels, it just has to move and release enough to allow that action to happen. The switch action occurs over a very small amount of the total lever travel. FYI the switch in this unit is a double throw single pole, IE A changeover switch.

Testing on the bench proved it to be working faultlessly in both directions. One of the tests I did before removing from the vehicle was to slowly withdraw the belt from the buckle, I could get it to fault more often than if I ejected it quickly, again, that’s strange if it’s just a switch contact problem as in a micro switch, the internal changeover speed is not affected by how fast you move the lever.

I think there is a possibility that in my case, the sealed plunger which is driven into the switch by the lever may have been binding. I read somewhere of the red sealing ring being levered out with a pin and someone spraying cleaner into the micro-switch (ruined the seal). However it may have just been the rubber/plastic sealing ring that was the problem after all.

I was not going to do anything to the switch that could affect a possible lifetime replacement policy (haven’t had a straight answer on that over here as yet) so I simply sprayed the shaft with a special contact cleaner and switch lubricant (one that leaves no residue for dust to adhere to and is plastic friendly). I also sprayed/cleaned the under seat plug and socket as I had read of intermittent problems there as well. Assembled and back in the vehicle and it’s been perfect for the last few days, it will be interesting to see how long it holds up.

I’ve serviced various equipment running high cycle “sealed” micro switches and over time I can’t really remember having to replace them for an intermittent switch contact, they either worked or they didn’t, anyway, I thought this may be of interest to someone.

BTW, the micro switch and lead assembly just pop out, carefully though, it’s a plastic locating tab on the switch that locks into a metal spring clip/retainer.
hello eveybody

I do have the same problem with my micro switch on the safety belt. Actually the switch itelf is broken ( lever-plunger broken )
Would somebody know the part number of this switch I know it is made by Cherry ( now ZF group ) and says 12 - A2 but i am unable to find this switch (with the special side plastic clip kind of )
THANKS for your help !
Jean-Marc
Montréal, Canada

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for this great post - i have the same 9-3 code and i am trying to fix it. I have pulled the seat out of my 2001 accord but the seat belt buckle has strange screws which i have no idea how to handle. Anyone has any idea what sort of screw driver i need for this. see the picture attached

Edit: Won't let me upload file. Here is the link Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Take your car into the dealer, Honda has free life time warr. on replacement parts for seat belts.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts