Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently discovered a rip or tear on the inner boot on my axle :thumbsdow

How hard is it to replace the boot? I got a quote at a few shops and they say around $120ish..

Would I be able to change this myself? Will I need any special tools and should I replace the outer boot while I have everything off?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
$120 is a good price, you have to do the following to get to the boot:
1. remove wheel
2. remove brake caliper and hang off one side
3. remove wheel axle nut, you will likely need an impact wrench to loosen the axle nut
4. pop lower steering knckle ball joint with ball joint separator tool, or a good solid whack with a ballpeen hammer on the knockle housing where the ball join sits in
5. remove hub partially
6. remove axle
7. replace axle or repair boot
8. reverse steps above

So, $120 sounds very reasonable!

That said, is your five year and ??? miles power train warranty still in effect? If so then the torn boot may be covered still.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Hey guys, I recently discovered a rip or tear on the inner boot on my axle :thumbsdow

How hard is it to replace the boot? I got a quote at a few shops and they say around $120ish..

Would I be able to change this myself? Will I need any special tools and should I replace the outer boot while I have everything off?

Thanks
If I was going to do this, I would go ahead and just replace the entire CV 1/2 shaft. You can get a rebuilt one for around $50-$60 at rockauto.com. I can replace these in about an hour. Air tools are nice, but you can get away with hand tools most of the time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If I was going to do this, I would go ahead and just replace the entire CV 1/2 shaft. You can get a rebuilt one for around $50-$60 at rockauto.com. I can replace these in about an hour. Air tools are nice, but you can get away with hand tools most of the time.
http://pamsauto.com/

they sell used OEM axles for about 50 bux.

I just swapped mine out and did it myself. it cost me 3 hours of my time and 50 bux from my pocket.

They have awesome customer service too.

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
A store will charge you the same price to replace a boot as to replace the complete drive shaft. So just go ahead and replace the shaft, that way you get a nice clean rebuilt CV joint ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the costs would be about the same but I never have any free time to do this myself, none the less the tools to do it I would need those too.

I'm getting both the inner and outer boot replaced for 120 (I mine as well get it done while everything is off) which I think is a good price.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
I know the costs would be about the same but I never have any free time to do this myself, none the less the tools to do it I would need those too.

I'm getting both the inner and outer boot replaced for 120 (I mine as well get it done while everything is off) which I think is a good price.
See how much they want to replace the entire 1/2 shaft. That's what I would do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts