Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) There is a whining sound when I accelerate. Through the radio speakers maybe? Everything is stock on the car. Maybe a bad ground?

Fix?

2) I have a vibration when the car is idling in gear. When the car is placed in neutral the steering wheel and brake pedal do not vibrate. Transmission mounts? Engine Mounts?

Fix?

Thanks!

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
1) There is a whining sound when I accelerate. Through the radio speakers maybe? Everything is stock on the car. Maybe a bad ground?
Serpentine belt whine, drive axle whine, etc....does the sound happen even when your radio/stereo is off?

2) I have a vibration when the car is idling in gear. When the car is placed in neutral the steering wheel and brake pedal do not vibrate. Transmission mounts? Engine Mounts?
Thanks!
Check motor mounts. Open hood and have friend rev car in park and in drive (but with brake pedal pushed down). Does the engine move up/down more than 3 inches?

EDIT: What is your idle speed rpm when in/out of gear? Could be something as easy as needing a throttle body cleaning.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
When do you hear this whine? Accelerating at all speeds?

I have experienced final gear whine with my i4 since purchase. It's slightly annoying at it's loudest and is easily drowned out by the radio. Most distinct at around 70-85mph and only audible with foot on the gas. Short of pulling out the tranny, I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serpentine belt whine, drive axle whine, etc....does the sound happen even when your radio/stereo is off?

Check motor mounts. Open hood and have friend rev car in park and in drive (but with brake pedal pushed down). Does the engine move up/down more than 3 inches?

EDIT: What is your idle speed rpm when in/out of gear? Could be something as easy as needing a throttle body cleaning.
Yes! It's super annoying when the radio is off. I can drown out the sound if I blast it but there are times where I want a silent drive but it's super annoying. How can I determine what it is?

The idle speed in gear is 650 and 660 in neutral... too high?

Have yet to check the motor mounts. I will need someone I can trust to accelerate when the car is in drive! :thmsup:

When do you hear this whine? Accelerating at all speeds?

I have experienced final gear whine with my i4 since purchase. It's slightly annoying at it's loudest and is easily drowned out by the radio. Most distinct at around 70-85mph and only audible with foot on the gas. Short of pulling out the tranny, I've learned to live with it.
All speeds! Usually when i am coasting it's worse because the sounds of the engine revving higher during acceleration drowns out the sound.

This car is annoying me...Should have gotten a Range Rover! :banana::D:thmsup:

JKJKJK :lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I guess the first thing we have to figure out is this:

Is the sound coming out of the speakers regardless if the radio is on/off? Or is the sound mechanical or tire noise. I am confused.

There was a write-up here a couple weeks ago where a member had a slight buzzing sound coming out of all speakers. It turned out to be a loose connection for the rear speakers. He had shoved some luggage in the trunk recently and it knocked some of the speaker wires loose.

Your idle is normal....

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
830 Posts
The whine could also be the powersteering pump, either it's bad, going bad, or just needs the new updated 0 ring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the car have an aftermarket audio install like subs?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the car have an aftermarket audio install like subs?
Everything is stock in the car besides the LED lights inside the car but I doubt that has anything to do with the sound as it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay/speedo cluster

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the first thing we have to figure out is this:

Is the sound coming out of the speakers regardless if the radio is on/off? Or is the sound mechanical or tire noise. I am confused.

There was a write-up here a couple weeks ago where a member had a slight buzzing sound coming out of all speakers. It turned out to be a loose connection for the rear speakers. He had shoved some luggage in the trunk recently and it knocked some of the speaker wires loose.

Your idle is normal....

not the speakers nor the tires...only happens when the car is being accelerated. when I let off the gas, the sound goes away.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Have you looked at the black accordion CV boots lately? Are they cracked or leaking grease? Wondering if this whine is a failing axle. Because the noise only happens when under load (accelerating).

(This "radio speakers" thing may just be a wild goose chase even though the whiney sound "sounds" as if it could be an electrical issue such as a bad speaker ground or alternator whine.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts