Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, I headed over to a friends place to hang out for a while. When I got there, I powered down my ipod and closed the cubby (the one below the HVAC controls that is spring loaded). I realized that I needed to bring something in that I store in there and it wouldn't open. I sat there for 10 minutes trying to figure out what might be jamming it and got frustrated, so I pushed on it and heard a crack. Now I can't manage to latch it shut. Any idea if I now need to replace the whole cubby, just the door, or some other small piece?
Any idea where I can get something like that without paying dealership prices?
I'm hoping I just misaligned something, but I may have just broken it. Wouldn't be the first time I used too much force and snapped off plastic. :dunno:
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated....

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
I've broken 3 cubby doors in my accord so far. Now I just use a small piece of velcro to keep the door closed. Can't even tell when the door is closed. They break so easy it's not even worth replacing anymore to me.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've broken 3 cubby doors in my accord so far. Now I just use a small piece of velcro to keep the door closed. Can't even tell when the door is closed. They break so easy it's not even worth replacing anymore to me.
Where do you put the velcro? Got pics?
:)

I just read that other thread that was linked - $200?!?!?! You've got to be kidding....
I guess a few weeks before I decide to sell the car I'll be getting a new door....

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
Where do you put the velcro? Got pics?
:)

I just read that other thread that was linked - $200?!?!?! You've got to be kidding....
I guess a few weeks before I decide to sell the car I'll be getting a new door....
Buy a used one off eBay for less than $50...

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get a new one for $64. I'll look at ebay to see whats up.
Thanks!

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Remove it from your car and fix it yourself. Usually the weight needs to be reset into the mechanism. Personally, I don't know how people break them. Mine is 8 years old and still works perfectly.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't open it (it was jammed by something) and pushed (maybe a little too hard) and heard something snap. That's how I think I brought mine. I'll try pulling it tomorrow and see if I can fix it/assess the damage.
Mine was fine for almost 6 years.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I couldn't open it (it was jammed by something) and pushed (maybe a little too hard) and heard something snap. That's how I think I brought mine. I'll try pulling it tomorrow and see if I can fix it/assess the damage.
Mine was fine for almost 6 years.
Ooh - - that can happen. I agree with Hillstone's advice to pull the thing and see what's needed to fix it. He pointed out that you can get parts for the "cubby" when I didn't realize it and of course, it's likely cheaper that way. Better than the dealers $200, shall we say, suggestion. If you do it, you might want to review the "beaufordbuddy link" inside the link above in #3 if you're not familiar with pulling the center console.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!!
Thanks to the good advice given here, when I got my car back from the body shop, I removed the cubby and found that a piece had gotten out of place. It was a little white arm on a spring that had turned around, probably when I forced the cubby open. I repositioned it, tested it, and reinstalled. Everything works again.
Yay!
Thanks to all who tried to help.

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
I had to pull it out when I installed my GROM iPod interface, it was all pretty easy. Worst part is goin in and realizin parts are missing, broken, or different. When I pulled my radio to do the install I noticed that it was only held in by one screw and it looked like no other screw on the car, and other odds and ends were missin (non-essential). So much for her not bein molested... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts