Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand why some manufacturers use dot matrix on windows and some don't. I can't stand the stuff when it comes to tinting the windows. The tint looks good from the outside where the dot matrix crap is but from the inside you can really see the "silvering" effect where the tint can not fill in between all the dots. I'm thinking about triming the tint off these areas and use some black vinyl to cover the dot matrix. Sorry just wanted to rant about something I find very annoying that really gets my OCD going...lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
I hear you man, I'm super OCD when it comes to fine details. I've had my car for 2 years already and have yet to tint it because of the dot matrix.. really don't know if I want to use the glue, vinyl or spraypaint method

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front window is the worst because it's right in front of your eyes..lol.. I could do the back with vinyl and never think twice about it but the front window is only around the mirror and not even all the way across. I think it would look very strange to just use vinyl on these two small areas.. Makes me want to get a razor scraper and try and scrape that shit off. But if that didn't go perfect it would be worse than the tint annoying me...lol

·
6th Gear
765 Posts
This is the edge of the rear window tint of my 7th Gen. You can see that the edge of the tint ends before the dot matrix starts. This could become a possible solution for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That little bit of matrix doesn't bother me at all, it's the 6" of it at the top of the coupe rear window and the 4" on either side of the mirror on the front windshield. My front window is tinted from the top down to where the dot matrix stops at the mirror. From the outside it looks good but from the inside it doesn't look right where the dot matrix is because it's not 100% uniformed around each dot. This causes a "silvering" effect and just bugs the hell out of me. I'm sure I will learn to ignore it but right now it consumes me...lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
The thing which bugs me more is that many car manufacturers nowadays (not just Honda) are $aving a few bucks by using the so-called "fritts" on the windows as a cheap-a$$ sunblock, and eliminating the dark tint brow at the top. It means that if the sun angle is just right, you have to go for your sunglasses immediately when it drops below the windshield, instead of that tint diffusing things for a bit. (And as stated, it makes life hard for trim shops to get a decent look.) If the excuse is the tint blocks the increasing array of cameras with which cars are equipped, I call BS--my LDW camera is below the tint line on my windshield, and the additional cameras for CMBS and LKAS on the Accord Touring MMC look to be on the same plane; Honda just lowered the rearview mirror a little so everything would fit, and I noticed this when test-driving a Sport CVT, just after the 9th-Gens came out.

Honda started that with the Accords halfway through the 2013 M/Y, according to a Safelite manager I spoke to while having my first stone hit repaired a year or so ago, and thanks to the nice crack which developed after a stone hit last week, my windshield's now going to need replacement. Hopefully, Safelite or my dealer can source a Honda OEM piece with the tint, just as my car (February, 2013 build) was originally equipped! (I can't imagine how a tint shop could spray-dye something similar, especially with the fritts. That tint band is actually sprayed on the inside of one of the glass layers.) That was always a "step-up" from a Civic to Accord.

Curiously, Toyota, Mazda and HyundKia still specify that band in their higher-level cars, while the Acura TLX doesn't get it (but gets that clown-ish, "smiley" frameless rearview mirror from Gentex, at least in the higher trims), so kiss that tint goodbye in any Honda offering. :wavebye:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts