Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really getting sick of hearing the rattle of the back deck every time a song with some bass came on the radio. I'm planning on wrapping everything in some type of sound deadening but wanted to get all new clips and the material ahead of time. So Sunday morning I climbed in the trunk with my flash light. I could see the oval openings that are towards the rear of the deck and I removed the trunk light which reviled better access to another opening. I cut up some 2" x 4" pieces of a microfiber rag and started stuffing those pieces in the holes toward the front of the car and to each side of the openings. After stuffing as much as I could I finished by stuffing pieces towards the rear of the car. I could only get one piece in each hole towards the back of the vehicle. I then went to the Hip Hop station on XM and I'll be damn if the rattle stopped. I have the bass set at 2 bars from full and the subwoofer set at 2 bars from full. Why in the heck Honda couldn't do this when building the damn car I have no idea...lol... I still want to pull the deck out and do it right but for now the system sound pretty damn good on XM or IPod.

·
Elvira - the car
3,514 Posts
. Why in the heck Honda couldn't do this when building the damn car I have no idea...lol... .
Then we'd have nothing to do, or post about here. :grin

Glad it worked out.

Thinking out loud here but always wondered if the low expansion version of expanding foam would be any good.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
1,185 Posts
Right on! Had the same issue as you. Didn't go as Bob Vila as you with the measuring, haha but I did stuff my huge wool socks in to the holes. Did the trick!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Denim insulation works best here. You can buy the rolls on Home Depot's web site. They don't stock it in the stores. Also if you stuff the trunk lid cavities it will decrease exhaust note by a noticeable amount. I also layered my rear inside fenders with this stuff (there are huge cavities if you look there) and it led to a decrease in tire noise. Seems to work wonders, plus it's negligible weight so you can go crazy with it and not worry about performance hits. Safe to breathe too, as it's essentially recycled blue jeans.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I guess my only question is will the fabric draw moisture?

I used Rattle Trap, and DB3 from Home Depot to deaden and isolate sound.

I lined my trunk lid and hood underside with DB3 and Rattle Trap and it knocked the noise down quite a bit. Along with doing the shelf top and bottom when I replaced speakers. Inside front doors are done. Need to do firewall, and the rear seat sides and it should be good to go.

·
Elvira - the car
3,514 Posts
I thought about that expanding spray foam as well but was afraid it would be a mess to try and clean up when I get around to pulling the deck out...lol
The idea I had was to spray it into plastic bags stuffed in the cavity so the foam doesn't touch the metal or deck material. Siimilar to the foam packing that is blown -in boxes to create form fitting cushioning.

·
Acoustics BSEE
1,696 Posts
NEVER use expanding foam in a car you like. Expanding foam is an excellent way to destroy a car's value.

also, expanding foam has no acoustical benefit because it hardens.

When dealing with rattles, you want soft stuff. you don't have to spend a lot of money to put soft stuff in the car. Fabrics work well. I prefer denim insulation - Ultratouch by Bonded Logic.

You are only concerned about moisture in the doors. Otherwise, the rest of the car is dry. If the inside gets wet, you have to worry about factory fabrics and stuffing anyway.

Stuffing soft stuff in between the rear deck and the cover can help with some rattles, especially if they occur between the rear deck and cover panel. The clips that hold it on aren't that tight, so there is always some play - even where the clip attaches to the panel.

I agree that anyone can see a benefit by adding more acoustical sound absorption. If you disassemble our 9th gen you will find "pillows" everywhere, on every panel - even the quarter panels. Honda engineers understood that every cavity has resonance and by adding sound absorption, they can cut down on noise. But they didn't have the budget to treat panel rattle. When you move up into luxury brands you start to find more treatments - even the plastic clips have foam rings. Adding some foam where plastic meets metal is the next step to rattle prevention.

·
L34 M22 3.55
260 Posts
NEVER use expanding foam in a car you like. Expanding foam is an excellent way to destroy a car's value.

also, expanding foam has no acoustical benefit because it hardens.

When dealing with rattles, you want soft stuff. you don't have to spend a lot of money to put soft stuff in the car. Fabrics work well. I prefer denim insulation - Ultratouch by Bonded Logic.

You are only concerned about moisture in the doors. Otherwise, the rest of the car is dry. If the inside gets wet, you have to worry about factory fabrics and stuffing anyway.

Stuffing soft stuff in between the rear deck and the cover can help with some rattles, especially if they occur between the rear deck and cover panel. The clips that hold it on aren't that tight, so there is always some play - even where the clip attaches to the panel.

I agree that anyone can see a benefit by adding more acoustical sound absorption. If you disassemble our 9th gen you will find "pillows" everywhere, on every panel - even the quarter panels. Honda engineers understood that every cavity has resonance and by adding sound absorption, they can cut down on noise. But they didn't have the budget to treat panel rattle. When you move up into luxury brands you start to find more treatments - even the plastic clips have foam rings. Adding some foam where plastic meets metal is the next step to rattle prevention.

It's posts like this that keep me coming back to this forum again and again. I think it's awesome that you take the time and effort to share your wisdom with other enthusiasts. Greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts