Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at all the YouTube videos I can find (that seem to made for idiots), and I can't find the answer to my question.

I don't run any of my cars over 5000 miles on the oil. If my MM says I have 50% oil life left at 5000 miles, which my '13 V6 is currently trending to, and the dealer resets the MM at the 5000 mile oil change, does that affect anything else the MM monitors - specifically trans fluid, tire rotations, etc. I don't really care about the MM reminding me of tire rotations, I do that myself at 10k mile intervals. I would like to be reminded of the trans fluid replacement, and anything else the MM monitors.

Q: Does resetting the MM, as is done during an oil change, affect the other settings?

Q: Who in their right mind is going to go to the dealer and get an oil change WITHOUT the filter? That's like $7 more. I've never in my 46 years of life on this planet heard of replacing the oil and not the filter.

All comments are welcome!

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,162 Posts
Q: Does resetting the MM, as is done during an oil change, affect the other settings?
Of course it will. Sometimes you'll get a main code and sometimes you'll get a main code along with a sub code.

The main codes tell you when to "replace just the engine oil" (code A) and when to "replace the engine oil, oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect other items specific to your vehicle" (code B).

From what I know, the sub-codes don't come up by themselves. Therefore, if you reset the MM before a main code comes up telling you to change the oil, then you'll miss out on the sub-codes too.

Your sub-codes tell you when to
  • Rotate the Tires (sub-code 1)
  • Replace the air cleaner element, check the drive belt, and replace the dust and pollen filter (sub-code 2)
  • Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (sub-code 3)
  • Replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt (if equipped), inspect the water pump, and inspect valve clearance (sub-code 4)
  • Replace the engine coolant (sub-code 5)

I've looked at all the YouTube videos I can find (that seem to made for idiots), and I can't find the answer to my question.
You're looking in the wrong place. All of this is in your owners manual under the Maintenance Minder section.

·
Registered
884 Posts
^ What he said. Also, you're wasting your money and our precious oil resources by changing your oil more often than necessary.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Actually I did an oil analysis thru Blackstone labs on my other car and they recommended 4500 miles based on the PBN (I think that was it was called - maybe not - it shows amount of additives remaining) so I don't think 5000 miles is a stretch. That's twice a year on a $30k car. Anyway...

Educate me. So pretend I'm not so **** and change it when the MM says 15%. Are you saying that will throw off all the other maintenance, making it due 15% earlier? So my trans fluid will be due 'sooner'?
In effect you're saying the MM is useless unless you let it go down to 0%. Does anyone here do that?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the above link (thanks!)

"A: Honda recommends that you follow your Maintenance Minder. If you do choose to maintenance your vehicle early, be sure that the Maintenance Minder light is reset, keeping the main-codes and sub-codes synchronized."

So that means it doesn't mess with the other codes... (?)

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Actually I did an oil analysis thru Blackstone labs on my other car and they recommended 4500 miles based on the PBN (I think that was it was called - maybe not - it shows amount of additives remaining) so I don't think 5000 miles is a stretch. That's twice a year on a $30k car. Anyway...
+1 on Blackstone Labs. You cannot manage that which you cannot measure. Lot's of people (like on2) say "10,000 miles or more" but only an oil analysis will tell you the truth to make an informed decision.

I submit a sample to Blackstone every 3 or 4 oil changes on the Accord (and every oil change in cars I race) and it tells me the condition of every part within the engine, as well as the oil life. It is under $30 for the analysis.

And no matter how long you think your oil will last, get out and check the oil level at regular times. The 7th Gen sub-forum has a nice discussion going how people who run synthetics sometimes forget to check the oil level, and it can run low between oil change intervals.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My MM is usually @ 50% and 5k miles. I also like to have my oil changed at 5k intervals so I reset the MM every other oil change.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Q: Who in their right mind is going to go to the dealer and get an oil change WITHOUT the filter? That's like $7 more. I've never in my 46 years of life on this planet heard of replacing the oil and not the filter.

All comments are welcome!
I agree. Changing the filter along with the oil seems like cheap insurance. I just checked with my Honda dealer service rep and he said they change the filter with the oil every time.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,162 Posts
Actually I did an oil analysis thru Blackstone labs on my other car and they recommended 4500 miles based on the PBN (I think that was it was called - maybe not - it shows amount of additives remaining) so I don't think 5000 miles is a stretch.
An analysis was done for your other car and their recommendation to change the oil at 4,500 miles was made for your other car. Why are you applying that recommendation to this car?

From the above link (thanks!)

"A: Honda recommends that you follow your Maintenance Minder. If you do choose to maintenance your vehicle early, be sure that the Maintenance Minder light is reset, keeping the main-codes and sub-codes synchronized."

So that means it doesn't mess with the other codes... (?)
As I said previously, if you always reset the MM before the main code comes up then you won't see any of the sub-codes.

If you're not going to follow the MM, then you'll need to come up with your own maintenance schedule for everything else.

The other option is to not reset the MM when you change the oil early/before the MM tells you to, that way you'll be able to see which main code comes up and any sub-codes with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I guess my question remains - even if I run the oil down to 15% or even 10%, after a half dozen oil changes the other maintenance is going to be way off.

Over on the Ridgeline forum it was mentioned that the oil life was driving style based and all other maintenance mileage based. Can anyone confirm this? If so, why would resetting the MM change the other maintenance items? I'm not resetting the odometer.

In all, based upon my understanding of the system it seems like a great idea in theory but the execution was poor.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
In all, based upon my understanding of the system it seems like a great idea in theory but the execution was poor.
You are not qualified to say this because you do not know how it works.

If I had to guess it rounds the other maintenances to the nearest oil change when it's due. There is tons of fudge room in the others maintenances and your car is not going to overheat or transmission die because the fluid was not changed precisely at the interval. In fact you would be surprised how much life is left in that 12,000mi oil when the MM hits "0%".

When the MM says to change it, change it. Whatever it is. Honda has put more thought into the MM than you could ever think.

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts