Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
No you don't it's pretty horrible, drive an I4 TLX and you'll quickly see how annoying it is at low speed and when cold. Makes the CVT look good.

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
i dont like all these mini gear ratios so i am against it

whats the point of these transmissions?

so ppl dont feel the car shift?

i still feel it in my cvt.....

fuel economy ? i wonder how much difference it makes

i guess this would be a 1st gen tranny.... i would stay away from it until they have more information and testing on it.....

i remember when honda trannys were bullet proof

·
HK Moderator
14,107 Posts

Yes, fuel economy....

Ill gladly take your 6-6, I want to convert a v6 sedan to 6mt and need a donor transmission.
Accords are everywhere. Instead of spending thousands of dollars to convert transmissions, wiring harnesses, ECU and other computer parts- just sell your current ride and buy a 6-6.

On the 7th and 8th Gen forums, there are about 10 documented horror stories of conversions from auto to 6 speed with the V6 engines. You would be amazed at what is involved- and they never run or operate like a "born as" 6-6 would.

Now my 1991 Nissan 240sx? Very easy to convert from auto to manual. As a matter of fact, the prescribed "fix it" for a bad auto is to put a manual in there. Very easy to do- no weird airbag sensors or wiring harnesses to deal with either.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes, fuel economy....

Accords are everywhere. Instead of spending thousands of dollars to convert transmissions, wiring harnesses, ECU and other computer parts- just sell your current ride and buy a 6-6.

On the 7th and 8th Gen forums, there are about 10 documented horror stories of conversions from auto to 6 speed with the V6 engines. You would be amazed at what is involved- and they never run or operate like a "born as" 6-6 would.

Now my 1991 Nissan 240sx? Very easy to convert from auto to manual. As a matter of fact, the prescribed "fix it" for a bad auto is to put a manual in there. Very easy to do- no weird airbag sensors or wiring harnesses to deal with either.
B-but I want a v6 sedan 6mt!

·
Registered
205 Posts

so ppl dont feel the car shift?

i still feel it in my cvt.....

fuel economy ? i wonder how much difference it makes

i guess this would be a 1st gen tranny.... i would stay away from it until they have more information and testing on it.....

i remember when honda trannys were bullet proof
It's so soccer moms can drink their Starbucks without spilling their drinks on their cellphones they are texting with. Manufacturers cater to them and forget about the other 10% that just want a simple car they can shift and not hear a stupid dinging noise whenever they change lanes without a signal.

Next Accord, 6MT FTW or there won't be a next for me.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No you don't it's pretty horrible, drive an I4 TLX and you'll quickly see how annoying it is at low speed and when cold. Makes the CVT look good.
I am aware of that issue, and I am confident that Honda will correct the problem.

For the performance enthusiast, the DCT is a far more capable transmission than the CVT, and, given the type of driver engagement and driving dynamics I prefer, it is no contest for me.

Of course, your wants and desires may be different.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've put close to 8,000 miles on mine and it's anything but horrible.

Yes - when cold the first couple shifts are a bit abrupt. And yes there's some quirks buried in the shift logic that need to be worked out - but I would say mine has been great for 95% of the time which is well within my range of acceptability.

The vast majority of the time the shifts are super fast and super smooth. And for any car enthusiast the difference is night and day when compared to the Honda CVT (which I actually like too) when you stomp on the gas as you jump on an on-ramp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's so soccer moms can drink their Starbucks without spilling their drinks on their cellphones they are texting with. Manufacturers cater to them and forget about the other 10% that just want a simple car they can shift and not hear a stupid dinging noise whenever they change lanes without a signal.
So you'd rather have a 4-speed? More gear ratios = more efficiency, both in power delivery and fuel economy. This is why every manufacturer (not just Honda) has continually added cogs to their transmissions over the years.

Yes - when cold the first couple shifts are a bit abrupt. And yes there's some quirks buried in the shift logic that need to be worked out - but I would say mine has been great for 95% of the time which is well within my range of acceptability.
I occasionally get the same abruptness from my Accord V6. In fact, I'd say the same about my old Lexus GS. Cold transmissions don't shift as nice as warm ones, who knew?

·
Registered
122 Posts
DCT trannys have been around for awhile.... I think Borg-Warner invented the concept for use in race cars. Seems the European car manufacturers adopted them first. My '12 VW Sportwagen has a 6-speed dual clutch transmission using a wet-clutch design. Took a bit of getting used to. It takes off smoothly, no lurching as described in the article. Shifts are lightening fast, with no discernible clunking or thumping. Very smooth. They're more efficient than torque converter autos.. probably due to lack of slippage in the converter.

Two issues take getting used to. One, it downshifts like the (automated) manual transmission it is.... so the engine braking feels different to folks used to typical automatics. Second is probably a VW installed issue... the hill-holder function. If you are sitting at a light on a slope, when the light turns green and you remove your foot from the brake, it takes about a full second for the car to move.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts

The vast majority of the time the shifts are super fast and super smooth. And for any car enthusiast the difference is night and day when compared to the Honda CVT (which I actually like too) when you stomp on the gas as you jump on an on-ramp.
I know you personally have commented before that your DCT has been OK... but there are owners on VTEC.Net and Acurazine that share the same experience I had on my test drive.

I would own one eventually once Honda has worked out the 1st gen quirks... because on paper they are vastly superior to traditional automatics and CVTs.... but the TLX I test drove a few months back completely turned me off.

1. Put it in reverse and there was a hard bang
2. Drove it under 40km/h and it was shifting gears back and forth unsure where it wanted to be.
3. Went around a corner and it downshifted 2 gears then went back 1 gear with a number of abrupt jolts.

I'm overly sensitive to shift feel so I really dislike this type of transmission... but some may love being thrown around the cabin.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Isn't there a software update to address the hard shifts in the lower gears when cold? If yes, do you know if it reduces/solves the problem?

So, just to confirm, you have an Accord I4 CVT and an Acura TLX I4 DCT?

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
overly sensitive to shift feel so I really dislike this type of transmission... but some may love being thrown around the cabin.
Now, you are talking like Flyboy. The problems experienced with the Honda DCT are not normal and not acceptable. Like I said, I am confident that they will be sorted out, and you should not generally condemn the DCT based on your limited experience.

Honda has made a solid commitment to the DCT by developing and manufacturing their own unit in-house. Currently, the Honda DCT is used in the 2016 ILX, the 2015 TLX I4, and the 2015 RLX Sport Hybrid. The new NSX will have an exclusive, 9-speed DCT with an electric motor in place of the torque converter, as is the case with the RLX Sport Hybrid.

The DCT offers good fuel economy, comparable to the CVT, and is vastly superior to the CVT for higher-performance applications. The major drawback is cost, which can be a barrier to using it in mainstream cars. But not in all cases, for example.....

Hyundai will soon introduce the 2016 Tucson (CR-V segment), and it will have 1.6 L turbo engine and a 7-speed DCT. I wonder why Hyundai did not go with the cheaper, simpler CVT?

Another example is VW, who is totally committed to the DCT and will soon introduce a 10-speed version.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I know you personally have commented before that your DCT has been OK... but there are owners on VTEC.Net and Acurazine that share the same experience I had on my test drive.

I would own one eventually once Honda has worked out the 1st gen quirks... because on paper they are vastly superior to traditional automatics and CVTs.... but the TLX I test drove a few months back completely turned me off.

1. Put it in reverse and there was a hard bang
2. Drove it under 40km/h and it was shifting gears back and forth unsure where it wanted to be.
3. Went around a corner and it downshifted 2 gears then went back 1 gear with a number of abrupt jolts.

I'm overly sensitive to shift feel so I really dislike this type of transmission... but some may love being thrown around the cabin.
1) I've read of others that experience the bang when going in reverse - I've never seen it.

2) I get this at certain speeds - more when in econ or normal mode - sport mode will hang onto the gears longer and not do it. I see it less now too which leads me to believe it's adapted to my driving style a bit. Frankly this is more the nature of it being an 8 speed than a DCT. Sadly the CAFE standards force auto makers to make comprimises in an effort to squeeze out that last MPG.

3) I've read of others saying the same thing but mine hasn't done that. There were a couple times when coasting to a stop then getting on the gas where it will drop down into 1st and give a "quick jump" ahead before shifting back into 2nd. That hasn't happened to me since the first couple months though so maybe I've subconsciously learned to work around it or the trans has learned not to do it. Again - there are definitely some quirks with mine but I rarely see them.

Isn't there a software update to address the hard shifts in the lower gears when cold? If yes, do you know if it reduces/solves the problem?

So, just to confirm, you have an Accord I4 CVT and an Acura TLX I4 DCT?
Yes - there is a TSB out for the DCT which includes a software update followed by a clutch break-in procedure. I suspect some of the cars on the lot (see the above comment about his test drive) are in need of the TSB for sure.

I'm waiting until I get my first oil change before having the procedure done. I've heard from a couple people who say it resolves the problems they were having while others say the problems persist although in a more mild fashion. I suspect much the the CVT judder problem it will take a few wacks at it until Honda is able to get it right. In the meantime, as I said before, mine works well enough now that I could do without the TSB and still be satisfied.

I sold the 2013 Accord after driving it for two years. I loved everything about it except the "firm" ride.

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
So you'd rather have a 4-speed? More gear ratios = more efficiency, both in power delivery and fuel economy. This is why every manufacturer (not just Honda) has continually added cogs to their transmissions over the years.
problem is most honda motors make their power in high rpm (vtec) so the small gear ratios dont help and performance cars prefer less gears (less lag because of less shifting and longer gears)

very interesting thread tho because i am interested in trading up to a tlx

ill probably wait until 2016/17 for the kinks to be worked out

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mdreibelbis,

RE: I suspect much the the CVT judder problem it will take a few wacks at it until Honda is able to get it right.

Did you have the CVT judder problem with your Accord CVT? If yes, what was done about it? And was the problem fixed?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts