Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arg, I am pretty frustrated. After months of waiting, I finally got to test drive an Accord hybrid at my local dealer here in Atlanta. It was the Touring trim (the level I want), and I absolutely loved it. The car was exactly what I hoped for.

At the end of the test drive, I told the salesperson I wanted to discuss price points. He immediately said that they aren't selling this model yet, but would I like to discuss the non-hybrids? I said no, that the hybrids were the only version I am interested in. After a small bit of back and forth, here is where we left our conversation:

- The dealer only has the one hybrid, and they need it for test drives. They wouldn't sell it, and I don't want to buy their test version anyway.
- They have no clue when they might be receiving more inventory. He guessed somewhere between February and April.
- They would be happy to pre-order one for me at full MSRP. They won't even entertain negotiating. And they also don't know when it would arrive.
- When I got home, I had an email from the salesperson with pricing for their EX-L with Navigation non-hybrid. Not a bad price, but I had been pretty clear that I only want a hybrid.

I called up the other two dealers in the Atlanta area, and got a similar response: no inventory, no negotiating, no clue on timeframe.

So I have to be patient and wait for an unknown period of time until Honda gets their inventories figured out.

This is a pretty lame rollout for a car that should be their banner vehicle. Come on, Honda! Get with the program!

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
My Honda dealer sold one the other day. Its true, it was even on their Facebook page.

They have another on their lot as well. Im assuming its for sale as its grouped with all the regular gas powered Accords.

Jay

·
Registered
227 Posts
If they are scarce, why would they discount it? Most cars are not scarce and buyers beat them down. Remember the supply and demand component of a free market?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they are scarce, why would they discount it? Most cars are not scarce and buyers beat them down. Remember the supply and demand component of a free market?
Exactly, and that's why I am waiting for their inventory to increase as mentioned in my first post. I'm not paying full price for a Honda since they set MSRP to be negotiated down.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Arg, I am pretty frustrated. After months of waiting, I finally got to test drive an Accord hybrid at my local dealer here in Atlanta. It was the Touring trim (the level I want), and I absolutely loved it. The car was exactly what I hoped for.

At the end of the test drive, I told the salesperson I wanted to discuss price points. He immediately said that they aren't selling this model yet, but would I like to discuss the non-hybrids? I said no, that the hybrids were the only version I am interested in. After a small bit of back and forth, here is where we left our conversation:

- The dealer only has the one hybrid, and they need it for test drives. They wouldn't sell it, and I don't want to buy their test version anyway.
- They have no clue when they might be receiving more inventory. He guessed somewhere between February and April.
- They would be happy to pre-order one for me at full MSRP. They won't even entertain negotiating. And they also don't know when it would arrive.
- When I got home, I had an email from the salesperson with pricing for their EX-L with Navigation non-hybrid. Not a bad price, but I had been pretty clear that I only want a hybrid.

I called up the other two dealers in the Atlanta area, and got a similar response: no inventory, no negotiating, no clue on timeframe.

So I have to be patient and wait for an unknown period of time until Honda gets their inventories figured out.

This is a pretty lame rollout for a car that should be their banner vehicle. Come on, Honda! Get with the program!
I got hostile tweets from a saleswoman just for calling and inquiring

Before things can go properly good, they have to go CRA CRA

Biggest lesson in car buying(either for this or any car): Pricing was MADE *for* computers and should be done over the computer, this is what the computer is for! Trust me, I do purchasing remotely all day, everyday. Always call on the phone for the initial handshake all the way to pricing to eliminate the crazies at the dealer. You only have to go to a stealer to sign the paperwork. The dealer is no place to physically go whether there is anyone unstable there or not cause EVERYTHING can be done online except test drives! And who needs a testdrive when you have DA, right?!

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Why are you guys so interested in buying the hybrid at full MSRP or even a premium, when that will indicate a huge gulf in pricing to the normal gas cars? I'm guessing that there is absolutely no way that the hybrid can "pencil out" with any kind of payback over any reasonable length of ownership! Why not just buy the gas car, and if you are feeling the need to be "green" then just donate a couple thousand bucks to whatever environmental project you see fit. It's already questionable how "green" a hybrid even is since you have this giant battery pack that requires earth resources to build it and will end up in a landfill at some point in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got hostile tweets from a saleswoman just for calling and inquiring

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150738

Before things can go properly good, they have to go CRA CRA

Biggest lesson in car buying(either for this or any car): Pricing should be done over the computer, this is what the computer is for! Always call on the phone to eliminate the crazies at the dealer. The dealer is no place to physically go whether there is anyone unstable there or not cause EVERYTHING can be done online except test drives!
That's pretty nuts! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I had started my search on the internet and got connected with each of the dealers through truecar.com. But I was pretty excited about actually getting to drive one, which is how I ended up at the dealership.

Why are you guys so interested in buying the hybrid at full MSRP or even a premium, when that will indicate a huge gulf in pricing to the normal gas cars? I'm guessing that there is absolutely no way that the hybrid can "pencil out" with any kind of payback over any reasonable length of ownership! Why not just buy the gas car, and if you are feeling the need to be "green" then just donate a couple thousand bucks to whatever environmental project you see fit. It's already questionable how "green" a hybrid even is since you have this giant battery pack that requires earth resources to build it and will end up in a landfill at some point in the future.
I'm not interested in paying MSRP. That's the whole point of this thread.

Plus, I am excited about the technology and status of a hybrid to be honest. It's also a very quiet ride, much quieter than a traditional vehicle. If I get close to making it all pencil out where I end up ahead, that's great but not the entire point.

And lastly, the touring trim level only comes in a V6 (which I absolutely don't want or need) or hybrid (which excites me). If they had a V4 Touring, I might consider it, but I'd still lean towards a hybrid.

·
4,339 Posts
:deadhorse:

Everyones needs and motives are different. Accept it and move on.

Jay

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
:deadhorse:

Everyones needs and motives are different. Accept it and move on.

Jay
Fair enough

The hybrid is going to be somewhat "special" at least for awhile, so therefore I don't think people should be surprised that the dealers aren't willing to start cutting deals on them. Sounds like a seller's market to me for the next 6 months at least.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm not interested in paying MSRP. That's the whole point of this thread.

Plus, I am excited about the technology and status of a hybrid to be honest. It's also a very quiet ride, much quieter than a traditional vehicle. If I get close to making it all pencil out where I end up ahead, that's great but not the entire point.
You sound a lot like me. I've been waiting and waiting for this vehicle to come out. I test drove it the first day it was available. I was the first guy to drive it at one dealer. I've driven three different cars at three different dealers, one of them twice.

If they had had my trim level EX-L in a color close to what I want I would have probably bought it that day at MSRP. Luckily they didn't. After a few days I cooled off and realized what a mistake paying MSRP would be. As excited as I am about the newness and coolness of this technology I'm not willing to pay an even larger premium over the regular EX-L. By even larger I mean not just the higher MSRP, but add in no discount or a lower discount.

Assuming I could buy either car for 10% off MSRP the Hybrid EX-L commands a $3,632 premium (with 6% sales tax). Hyrids also have higher insurance premiums anyway - and the Accord Hybrid has an aluminum hood, so no telling what the premium is, but I'm sure it's there. I calculated 6 years to break-even on the payback of better fuel economy with gas at $3.29 per gallon. If gas jumps to $6.29 per gallon the payback would still take 3.5 years.

Like I said, I really love the Hybrid. But I'm frustrated just as much as you.

Be sure to check cars.com for Accord Hybrids. Currently there are 424 Accord Hybrids around the country for sale.

I may resign myself to getting the regular EX-L, for the following reasons:
  • Big trunk - Hybrid really loses a lot of trunk space and fold down back seat
  • High volume production - Honda has a lot of experience building this car, lots of parts available, dealer experience, etc., proven high volume model
  • Hesistant on Hybrid - all new system, new Atkinson cycle engine from Japan, less than 1000 built so far as I can tell.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Be sure to check cars.com for Accord Hybrids. Currently there are 424 Accord Hybrids around the country for sale.
What does Honda plan in terms of manufacturing volumes for the hybrid? Is it a matter of just needing to ramp up, or will it always be a small niche car at least for this model year?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Honda added on to their Marysville plant for the Accord Hybrid. But I think they just added a new wing dedicated to the battery and hybrid components preparation and testing. The Accord Hybrids roll off the same production line. I believe they simply produce hybrids on any given day of production. I guess that would mean that the total number of Accords produced may not change but the mix of Hybrid vs other trim levels will change.

Maybe if they went to more shifts they could pump out more. Don't know how many shifts they run or much else.

·
Registered
514 Posts
HAHAHA, wow, that sounds familiar. You can call ahead and ask... 'Is this car for sale or will you be keeping it for demo?' I asked one dealer that earlier in the year. The same thing happened with the Plug-In Hybrid. Wait a little while until they've been in the dealers for a couple months.

Even then, I had a dealer tell me 'the price is on the sticker'. I figured they were kidding, since I had an Edmund's Price Promise guarantee for that dealer at invoice price. (Yes, Honda of New Rochelle, I'm unimpressed with you :) ) The salesman wouldn't budge from MSRP. We walked out and bought the same car 2 hours later from a dealer 15 minutes away at ~2500 off MSRP.

Just remember each dealer is different. Some of them want a demo hybrid and won't sell it. Some of them just have a bunch of cars and will sell them all (even if they only have one hybrid.)

[*]Hesistant on Hybrid - all new system, new Atkinson cycle engine from Japan, less than 1000 built so far as I can tell.
Well, remember the Plug-In has the same engine. It's about a year ahead, so add another 1000...

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Reminds me of when the Prius came out. Mile long waiting lists where you had to pay full MSRP and didn't know what color you would get...I do wonder what % of people on the waiting list actually paid when their ticket was called.

I'd never buy a hybrid, because I wouldn't want to deal with crappy resale value from everyone knowing the batteries have limited lifespan. (I know there's a warranty, but I doubt Honda (or any manufacturer) would actually honor it without fighting tooth and nail)

"well it's not "broken" unless it's on fire"

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
My dad was just thinking about buying a hybrid. The first question he asked me was how much is the battery gonna cost to replace if you don't have warranty. Does anyone know?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
My dad was just thinking about buying a hybrid. The first question he asked me was how much is the battery gonna cost to replace if you don't have warranty. Does anyone know?
Google tells me Prius battery packs are between $2k - $3k.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I don't know. But, the battery has an 8 year warranty, maybe longer in your state. Even if we have a price for what it costs today I wonder if there's really any way to know what it will cost in 2021 or 2022.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I don't know. But, the battery has an 8 year warranty, maybe longer in your state. Even if we have a price for what it costs today I wonder if there's really any way to know what it will cost in 2021 or 2022.
This is why it is imperative no paramount we negotiate on the hybrid and get the 3-4k off MSRP to recoup the cost of replacement. To do that, we have to get the dealers to produce and by produce I mean produce more inventory cause they don't make a dang donut, widget nor pretzel at the dealer if you know what I mean even their popcorn is instant. This hybrid can be had but it is a short wait since they just came out. It will mostly be snapped up by mid to older adults cause we all know kids suckle the tit of parents and have no income or savings to save their life, lol.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
This is why it is imperative no paramount we negotiate on the hybrid and get the 3-4k off MSRP to recoup the cost of replacement. To do that, we have to get the dealers to produce and by produce I mean produce more inventory cause they don't make a dang donut, widget nor pretzel at the dealer if you know what I mean even their popcorn is instant. This hybrid can be had but it is a short wait since they just came out. It will mostly be snapped up by mid to older adults cause we all know kids suckle the tit of parents and have no income or savings to save their life, lol.
What does this post even mean? :dunno:

·
4,339 Posts
What does this post even mean? :dunno:
I have no idea...

My dealer has donuts for free, but Im pretty sure they did not make them but of they are instant I may ask them to see that...

Jay

1 - 20 of 117 Posts