Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 300 miles I noticed something wasn't right with my 2013 accord V6 sedan. It had a loud rumble at constant RPM and there was a jerking sensation with blowback exhaust tone when you let off the gas. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was a "normal characteristic" of the car. The symptoms got worse as time went on. At approx. 10,000 miles the tranny was VERY rough with gears slamming on even slight acceleration (after warm up). It also felt clunky as if it had 200,000 miles on it. Well...I brought it to a different dealership, explained my issues and told them to not call me back until they fixed the issue or replaced with a new tranny. Got a call 5 days later and they said the tranny was defective and that I'd have a new one within a week. 3 business days later I was driving out with a new tranny and torque converter.

I know many more of you are having issues with your 6 speed automatic so feel free to use me as leverage in your fight. My new tranny is smooth as silk. I still have the engine braking and VCM rumble but aside from that it's all good. (for now).

Attachments

·
Banned
784 Posts
I guess V6-6Speed Auto is not as bullet proof as people think. 6 speed auto is no more reliable than CVT. You expect more CVT issues since the volume is 8:1 in favor of I-4/CVT combination.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Wow, I love that "N/C" symbol next to all the work they did...nice! But it makes you wonder how something like this can make it through quality control at the factory. I guess it's all a numbers game, though. Honda produces and sells about 1,000 Accords every single day in the U.S. and, unfortunately, a few are going to slip through the cracks I guess? That doesn't make it acceptable or anything and I really feel for anybody who shells out $30K on a brand new car and has problems like this.

Anyway, it's nice to see Honda step up to the plate and resolve the issue in your favor. Makes you wonder though...would it be possible for somebody to really trash a car on a test drive and then have something like this happen several months and miles down the road? Like take it out and just redline the heck out of it, do some burnouts, etc...then a few weeks later you come along and buy it and the tranny dies?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I guess V6-6Speed Auto is not as bullet proof as people think. 6 speed auto is no more reliable than CVT. You expect more CVT issues since the volume is 8:1 in favor of I-4/CVT combination.
Please reference the source for the 8:1 volume you claim. I scoured the net looking for any reference to Accord volume by trim and would love to see the details. As for your 6 speed auto being no more reliable than the CVT you can't possibly have a baseline for that ridiculous claim. Accord has been in production w/the CVT for 1 year. Time will tell. As someone who just completed a lemon law buyback on his Altima due to failure of the CVT multiple times under 10K miles I won't be buying another any time soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
any v6 owner has a same problem?

·
Banned
308 Posts
Guys I think (and hope!) that this is one of those "edge of the bell curve" things. Any mechanical thing can get screwed up, so maybe this just had a manufacturing defect in the trans that manifested itself over time. Glad to hear Honda stepped up. Sad to hear that some dealers like to just stick their head in the sand and tell you "everything is fine, nothing to see here, move along"

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Wow, I love that "N/C" symbol next to all the work they did...nice! But it makes you wonder how something like this can make it through quality control at the factory. I guess it's all a numbers game, though. Honda produces and sells about 1,000 Accords every single day in the U.S. and, unfortunately, a few are going to slip through the cracks I guess? That doesn't make it acceptable or anything and I really feel for anybody who shells out $30K on a brand new car and has problems like this.
I think he said that the problem didn't appear until after he had driven the car 300 miles. How could the quality control people at the factory know that the transmission would develop an issue 300 miles later? Taking the car to another Honda dealer service department is good advice. If you are sick and your doctor tells you that there is nothing wrong, get a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think he said that the problem didn't appear until after he had driven the car 300 miles. How could the quality control people at the factory know that the transmission would develop an issue 300 miles later? Taking the car to another Honda dealer service department is good advice. If you are sick and your doctor tells you that there is nothing wrong, get a second opinion.
Good point, thanks. Yes, we'll probably never know how this problem developed but my guess is when it went through the QC process at the factory nothing was discovered...otherwise, they would've fixed it then and there.

Maybe, like Hogan said, there was something wrong that manifested itself over time and then at 300 miles it began showing up.

What I'm really surprised by is the first dealer said there was no issue when, in fact, there was a huge issue. I could see some fly-by-night shop doing that but an established Honda dealership...wow. I would definitely avoid that dealership in the future!

·
Registered
123 Posts
^^^Agree with this^^^ of 2 of the last three vehicles I've purchased new, with one electronic problems didn't start rearing their ugly head until approx 4-5k miles, and the first showed problems with the 3rd gear syncro's at about 3k miles, sometimes almost locking out the gear when shifting. Both were new and not abused, stuff just happens. Luckily my last vehicle was stellar until about 50k, then electronic issues with a passlock II system. I'm a little more apprehensive about car electronics these days than mechanical but not much more you can do to protect yourself without purchasing extended warranties if you plan on keeping the car for awhile. I've never been able to foretell possible future problems with just a test drive, handling, comfort, cabin arrangements, and instruments and accessories can be assessed, but mechanical is a little more difficult unless it's very obivious.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The OP got the stock answer from the original dealership. " it's a normal characteristic". BS. That's Hondas answer for any major problem. I and many others onthisforum have heard that phrase many times. Kudos for going to a second dealership. Exactly what I did back in 08 and exactly what ELI did with his cvt problem. His car was bought back as was mine under the lemon laws. In this case at least honda fixed it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great point flyboy! I wasn't going back to the same doctor. Lol. I knew I'd have better odds if I went to a new dealership. So far so good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The OP got the stock answer from the original dealership. " it's a normal characteristic". BS. That's Hondas answer for any major problem. I and many others onthisforum have heard that phrase many times. Kudos for going to a second dealership. Exactly what I did back in 08 and exactly what ELI did with his cvt problem. His car was bought back as was mine under the lemon laws. In this case at least honda fixed it
I definitely had lemon law in mind and was fully prepared for their canned response "normal characteristic". However, I knew this dealership was different when the service adviser said for me to leave it for a few days so they could take it on an extended test drive and compare it to other v6 sedans. This problem was so obvious I knew if they had it for a few days they'd hear and feel the issues.

Anybody who lives in the Boston area should see Kelly Honda and ask for Dave. He was professional and listened to my concerns. I can actually say it was a pleasant experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
784 Posts
Please reference the source for the 8:1 volume you claim. I scoured the net looking for any reference to Accord volume by trim and would love to see the details. As for your 6 speed auto being no more reliable than the CVT you can't possibly have a baseline for that ridiculous claim. Accord has been in production w/the CVT for 1 year. Time will tell. As someone who just completed a lemon law buyback on his Altima due to failure of the CVT multiple times under 10K miles I won't be buying another any time soon.
Brookdale Honda is one of the largest Honda dealers in MN. Currently there are 128 Honda Accords in stock. 21 out 128 (16%) is 6 Speed Auto and 104 out of 128 (81%) is CVT and 3 out 128 being 6 speed manual (3%). You are correct it is 5:1 and not 8:1. So you have to see 5X Honda CVT failure to be equal to Honda 6 speed Auto. I have heard a few complete CVT failures on this forum (I think 2) and heard maybe 2 (this OP and some other guy) failures on 6 Speed Auto. So given 5:1 volume difference, I would have to see more than 10 CVT failures (Honda and not any other brand) to say 6 Speed auto is more reliable. All I am saying is that 6 speed auto is not bullet proof and CVT is not as bad as people think it is for reliability.

·
Registered
305 Posts
OP, could you please tell us who was the original dealer who gave you the standard B.S. answer of "normal characteristic"?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts