Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I4 – 4 cylinder engine 9 gen - OIL CONSUPTION

To my surprise, reading about engine oil consumption issues with at least previous generation Accord, I have to ask this.

Has anybody with 4 cylinder engine experienced issue with engine oil consumption in this newest gen 9 Accord?

BTW I am in the process of purchasing I4 ACCORD SPORT sedan.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
No. I'm at 2500 miles and just checked mine... At the top bar on the dipstick :) Some oil consumsion is going to happen with all engines over an oil change because piston rings and valve seals cannot create a barrier that will block 100% of the oil from entering the combustion chamber. Honda states (as do all manufacturers) 1qt of oil or less consumption over 1,000 miles is "normal". That would mean if your engine went 5000 or more between oil changes (which will happen) it could be considered normal for you to have no oil left in the engine. Now in reality we should only burn only a small fraction of what is considered "normal" by manufacturers standards... Say 0.5-1qt per oil change will be burnt.

Now Hondas V6s have been having valve seal problems due to a "manufacturing issue" for many years. Accords, pilots & oddys have been buring oil due to this a lot, but I haven't seen any 9th gens with this issue yet.

Good luck with your purchase, it's a wonderful car at a great value.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
To my surprise, reading about engine oil consumption issues with at least previous generation Accord, I have to ask this.

Has anybody with 4 cylinder engine experienced issue with engine oil consumption in this newest gen 9 Accord?

BTW I am in the process of purchasing I4 ACCORD SPORT sedan.
So...many...threads...about...this... :yes:

:headbash: :furious:

Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I truly hope it is a past issue. I am in the process of trading in my over 12 years old (bought it as new) Acura TL and on its v6 a did have some oil consumption like half a quart every 5K miles, nothing to be concerned about (I am at over 150K miles now). But with 0W-20 oil which is thinner then water tolerances need to be really tight. Which oil grade do you use? I am in Canada and here I can see 5W-20 readily available but not 0W-20. I do all my car maintenance myself using regular oil and I hope I can get by with 5W-20 without impacting engine or gas consumption.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
10K miles and nary a drop.

I truly hope it is a past issue. I am in the process of trading in my over 12 years old (bought it as new) Acura TL and on its v6 a did have some oil consumption like half a quart every 5K miles, nothing to be concerned about (I am at over 150K miles now). But with 0W-20 oil which is thinner then water tolerances need to be really tight. Which oil grade do you use? I am in Canada and here I can see 5W-20 readily available but not 0W-20. I do all my car maintenance myself using regular oil and I hope I can get by with 5W-20 without impacting engine or gas consumption.
Why not use synthetic, especially in cold Canada.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just realizing that the only option with 0W-20 seems to be full synthetic. It is $50 CAD + 13% TAX, that is why. But I guess oil change intervals are probably longer to offset the high price. I was spending less then $20 for regular Custrol 5W-30. Well, still not bad even at $50 as long as i do not need to add too much in between oil changes. I am glad nobody seems to have consumption issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2013 sport. Mine ate 1 quart through 7,300 miles at which time mm was at 10% & performed first oil change. will keep monitoring. hope it is less this time around.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't know where you are in Canada but I can easily find 0w20 here in Toronto. Used to grab Motul for $45 a bottle and the filter taxes in when I was doing oil changes on my STi. But to answer the question I've had 0 problems with oil consumption with my car and it has about 15,2xx Km.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am in Toronto as well. Which oil do you buy and how many engine oil changes so far did you have?
Just one oil change so far. The MM right now is at 60%. I have a friend who works for honda so it's free using honda synthetic.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I burned some oil in the very beginning, less than half a quart, but that is to be expected until the rings seat and you're getting some blow-by.

I topped it off at that point and it didn't lose any from then on.

So far, I think I have about 4000 miles on this oil change and it has not burned so much as a discernible drop.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My I4 has not moved off the full line in 3500 miles. I have taken some longer 300 mile trips on highway with cruise at 72 MPH and also have slammed through the gears pretty frequently and still she stays on the full mark.

I do think there is someone with a 6 having issues. I am not a believer in oil consumption of x amount in x miles is valid but rather a dealer out. Yes you can have oil use in a new motor but it is not a must or expected thing. Yes until you seat rings it may blow oil by but how long does it take to seat rings. For me not long as I drive it like I stole it. Always have.

I have taken nikasil and other coated cylinders pistons out and they still have cross hatch in them and never used a drop of oil.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I checked the oil once in 9700 miles. I hope it's not burning any lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is encouraging to read that nobody who reported it so far has noticed any issues. Even though these are all very new engines, I would hope that Honda did what it is supposed to do to make sure we are happy customers especially considering issues with this in the recent past with the previous generation of cars.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My car has 4,800 miles and has not used any oil. My wife's 07 Fit has 51,000 miles and uses about a pint between changes and my 2000 Accord Coupe uses non at 162,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts