Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first want to apologize if this has been brought up before (most likely have but I've searched and searched and found no straight answer).
I have a i4 sedan. I want a v6. I had 2 choices.

1. Trade in the car and get a new v6 car.
2. Keep my current car and put some serious work on it.

I honestly want to go with option #2 because I've become so attached to this car and I'm a huge Accord enthusiast.
If you guys can answer some questions for this newbie, I would greatly appreciated!

A. Can I put a v6 TSX engine in my car?
B. If yes, would it be better to just put a v6 Accord engine instead of the TSX engine?
C. I heard from a friend that 2010 TSX and 2010 Accord v6 share the same engine. Is this true?
D. What would be the cost of this engine swap including the engine price?

Thanks everyone in advance!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't have much or any experience within this field specifically, but on a general basis, I wouldn't do it at all. If you really want a V6, trade/sell your car and buy a V6 or another car. I know it's been asked a couple times, and sure it is possible, but think of all the work that would have to be done and expenses including buying the complete engine, replacing whatever else needs to be done, and especially the labor costs. However to me that isn't just it, if there would be an issue to pop up, you'd be dealing with it yourself, paying more out of pocket just to find/fix the issue, you never know how well the engine will pan out with who will be dropping it in and doing all the extensive work.

In the end, you could end up losing a lot more money in the "long" run by doing this type of swap rather than just trading in your car and getting a V6. I understand the attachment, and unless you yourself are really a car enthusiast and enjoy doing this type of work and have plenty of dough to do it, go ahead, I wouldn't hate on someone doing something they love.

·
4,637 Posts
Just stop by the local dealer and ask them for an engine swap. Tell them you'll wait for it. Have them put the old one in the trunk. Which you can sell or use as a back up. :thmsup:

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have much or any experience within this field specifically, but on a general basis, I wouldn't do it at all. If you really want a V6, trade/sell your car and buy a V6 or another car. I know it's been asked a couple times, and sure it is possible, but think of all the work that would have to be done and expenses including buying the complete engine, replacing whatever else needs to be done, and especially the labor costs. However to me that isn't just it, if there would be an issue to pop up, you'd be dealing with it yourself, paying more out of pocket just to find/fix the issue, you never know how well the engine will pan out with who will be dropping it in and doing all the extensive work.

In the end, you could end up losing a lot more money in the "long" run by doing this type of swap rather than just trading in your car and getting a V6. I understand the attachment, and unless you yourself are really a car enthusiast and enjoy doing this type of work and have plenty of dough to do it, go ahead, I wouldn't hate on someone doing something they love.
Thanks for your input. I'm thinking twice about it now because of the issues you've addressed.

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just stop by the local dealer and ask them for an engine swap. Tell them you'll wait for it. Have them put the old one in the trunk. Which you can sell or use as a back up. :thmsup:
If done at a dealer, how much would it cost?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
You will save soooooo much money trading for a V6. People here like to fantasize endlessly about swapping, but when it comes down to it, it doesn't happen. It's too expensive, impractical, and time consuming. Unless you're a professional, and I mean professional, the cost of labor is sky high. Honestly, your best (least expensive) option is to live with the 4 banger.

If done at a dealer, how much would it cost?
Thousands. Like thousands thousands. I doubt they'd even toy with the idea. Honestly, if someone walked into the dealership I work at and said they want an engine swap, I'd have to do everything possible not to burst out in laughter.

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ty all for your inputs!

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you took your car to a dealer and ask for the cost of an engine swap, they would go out to their used car lot, find a V6 Accord the same color as yours, look at the sticker price and that will be your cost :)

·
Low Gear
2,324 Posts
The 8G Accord is still too new for these type of swap. Give it another 10 years. I would guess modern cars are so connected in a strange way, that if a different engine was swapped in, the cruise control would not work, or the power mirrors would not work.

This happens on some of the engine swaps for Nissans from the mid-2000. So I would think today's cars would have even more electronics and interconnected.

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a company called KraftWerks that makes a Supercharger System for the k24 engine, i think it requires the removal of your A/C system, i have not seen this system fitted to an Accord yet
Thanks for the info. Wish there was a way to install this supercharger without removing the A/C. Maybe if you made some modifications...

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
The cost of an engine swap would dramatically exceed the cost of upgrading to either the V6 model or TSX.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
If definite on wanting a v6, you are better off to sell.

If you are looking for more performance and are willing to go that far with budget, I think you could modify your i4 to those levels. Pulleys, exhaust, and then look into ECU/forced induction. Yes it is not the path many have taken, but a lot can be followed or modified similar to get performance like the Si's currently have (motors are also identical).

·
2008 Accord Coupe EX
999 Posts

If you are looking for more performance and are willing to go that far with budget, I think you could modify your i4 to those levels. Pulleys, exhaust, and then look into ECU/forced induction. Yes it is not the path many have taken, but a lot can be followed or modified similar to get performance like the Si's currently have (motors are also identical).
Are there any turbo kits avaliable that you know of for the 2.4 engine?

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are there any turbo kits avaliable that you know of for the 2.4 engine?
As of right now there are only aftermarket turbos on ebay.
STAY AWAY FROM THEM PLEASE! I KNOW TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO WASTED MONEY ON THE EBAY TURBOS!

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Glad to see someone who supports what I want to do :)
I might pick up the AEM forced induction in the near future.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts