Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can help me find the Idle Air Control valve on a 2003 v6 Honda Accord.

I've done a search and it seems there is a picture of the I4 2003 accord IAC only. I have an idea of where it is. Someone told me it was underneath the throttle body, and I think I know what it is, but not 100%. Can anyone help me identify it?

It is not pictured in this parts list is it?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=2DR+EX+(V6)&catcgry4=KL5AT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+(V6)

Thanks for your help.

My car is idling very low, about 500 rpm in neutral and when I step on the gas it feels like my poor accord has no torque. The rpms go up, but it is slow to accelerate like it is being held back by a fat elephant.

I figure maybe I can try cleaning out the throttle body and idle air control valve like some of the other members on this board, but I am very noobish when it comes to cars. However, I've learned a lot just reading this forums so far. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 99.9999% sure that the idle speed is controlled via the throttle actuator and a IAC is not existent on the V6 engine.

Raph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense Raph, thanks for your reply.
I've looked at a bunch of Accord part catalogs online and no where can I find an IAC for the v6 Accord, so you are 100% correct, and I got some bad info from someone.

I guess I'll try removing the throttle body and cleaning it out with throttle body cleaner. Do you know if I can just replace the used gasket or will I need a new one?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Your Accord has drive by wire, whereas the 2003 I4 has a cable controlled setup. Thus, as stated above, the car's computer controls the entire throttle directly.

How many miles are on the car? Has it ever had a tune-up? What you're describing sounds like the car has no pickup, not that there's anything wrong with the idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car has about 140000 miles on it now. I have owned it since 5000 miles and never had any major issues with it. Even this problem is not a big issue, but my car is not performing like it has been, and its just annoying me. Do you think 500 idle is abnormal? I've searched these forums and seems it should be around 750 or so. I just don't know where to start to look into something like this.

One problem I had at about 100000 the dealer did replace something they called a throttle controller switch. I'm not sure what that is, I guess I should've asked them, but its a little black box looking thing to the top left when you open the hood. There is a cable wire that goes into it, the dealer said it controls the throttle. My check engine light had come on and I took it in and thats what they replaced.

I've done all the small maintenance on the car myself (like oil) according to the manual and have taken it into the dealer for all the big stuff, like the timing belt, other belts, and water pump. My brother in law changed the spark plugs for me at 90000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
When did this problem first appear? Did it coincide with one of the repair or maintenance activities? Is the check engine light on at the moment or since this problem started occurring?

What kind of plugs did your brother in law install?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My brother in law changed the spark plugs for me at 90000 miles.
I would look into the plugs first. If you're capable of changing your own oil, checking the spark plug's shouldn't be much more difficult for you. There are instructions on the forum for changing the spark plugs, but you should at least pull one plug and check the brand and type of plug. If it says "Bosch" and it's been in your engine for 50k, you probably need to get those out and get Iridium plugs in your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read this posting and have a couple questions, why the Iridium plugs? I have a 2002 Honda Accord V6 LX with over 280000 miles (used synthetic oil since first oil change and the only problem I have had with the Honda up to this point was one alternator going bad, now I have a IAC problem and I think EGR valve) I have the up and down RPM issue when in park and the code reader I got showed that the IAC was bad. I wanted to try to clean the IAC however I can not figure out the screw size on the sensor on the IAC all the torque tools I use are either too small or just too big any one with an Idea so I know what to tell the parts guy for a tool that will fit, I have tried all the ones I have and the online manuals state 3.5 Nm (what is that?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have some questions

I have some questions; first I have a 2002 Honda Accord V6 LX with over 280,000 miles ( I used synthetic oil since the first oil change and the only problem I have had with the Honda until now was a bad alternator that I change myself. Right now I am having the up and down RPM that most posts state is the IAC valve) I used a DTC and the code I got leads me to believe that I have an IAC problem and possible a EGR valve issue. I removed the TB , EGR, and the plenum and cleaned the TB and Plenum and the port for the EGR. The EGR valve was looking bad so screw it I bought a new one. I want to just clean the IAC and replace the gasket, however I can not figure out what size of torque screw is holding the sensor in place so I can use TB cleaner on the unit. All the torque screws I use are either too small or just too big and an on line manual I found stated the two screws are 3.5 Nm (I have no idea what that means) anyone with any ideas. By the way I an new to this form stuff so forgive if this information is out there somewhere else.

·
ready to go....
15,798 Posts
3.5 is the torque. Not the size. The IAC is 10 mm to remove, sounds like you're messing with the wrong part!

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK Got the Torque information:

what I am trying to find out the size of the screws on the IAC valve sensor that holds it to the IAC. I am uploading a diagram for reference. There are two small screws holding the electronic part (sensor) to the IAC valve itself and every where I have read it states to remove that sensor BEFORE using TB cleaner and cleaning out the IAC valve.

Attachments

·
ready to go....
15,798 Posts
Still likely 10 mm.

·
ready to go....
15,798 Posts
The diagram you posted has no indication of them being "screws". I can't look up the actual Honda info from my phone. I don't recall ever seeing a hex or torque bolt for that. Have you owned the car since new?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Step 1) Get a mirror
Step 2) Look and see whether it's a bolt or a screw
Step 3) Use trial and error to find the right size bolt/ screw

^Is there some reason the tried and true way won't work?

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
I can not figure out what size of torque screw is holding the sensor in place so I can use TB cleaner on the unit. All the torque screws I use are either too small or just too big
I wonder if you're using this type of "torq" bit? If you are, that's your problem. As princess said, I doubt they're hex (or torque) bolts.

The diagram you posted has no indication of them being "screws". I can't look up the actual Honda info from my phone. I don't recall ever seeing a hex or torque bolt for that.
number 13= 93892-05025-08 SCREW-WASHER (5X25)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...6)&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+(V6)

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
I can not figure out what size of torque screw is holding the sensor in place so I can use TB cleaner on the unit. All the torque screws I use are either too small or just too big
I wonder if you're using this type of "torq" bit? Is you are, that's your problem.

Although, this link says they're star screws...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080223130250AADnYx7

The diagram you posted has no indication of them being "screws". I can't look up the actual Honda info from my phone. I don't recall ever seeing a hex or torque bolt for that.
number 13= 93892-05025-08 SCREW-WASHER (5X25)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...6)&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+(V6)

·
Registered
126 Posts
mayday,
If your rpms are up and down - look for a vacuum hose leak before you start spending hundreds. With your car being an 02 - it is 9 years old. Guess what happens to 9 year old rubber.... Just have a roll of electrical tape available while you look for it. Yank and pull on all hoses. If one is decayed - you will feel it. I use the tape to put it back together so I can drive to the parts store afterwards..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts