Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've concluded that its nothing to do with the cvt but everything to do with the engine idle speed. My idle speed without extra electrical load on it is too low. Once I turn on the fan or the headlights, the idle is boosted (to run the alt more I assume) and the vibrations are gone.

Do you always have a power accessory on such as the fan or headlights?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I checked out the vibration with the engine completely warmed to normal operating temperature. I had the AC on in the auto mode. The idle RPM was less than 1,000 RPM.
The vibrations that I am specifically talking about go away too when my ac is on. Do you always have your climate control on when driving?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I noticed this a while back too.... A way to get rid of that vibration in drive is to turn on the rear defroster. But who wants that running 24/7?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Do your vibrations continue with the headlights on? For me I just have turn something on that uses a moderate amount of power such as headlights or the fan and the vibrations go away. Im sure the defrost, which requires a lot of power will do the same for me.

In fact, with my headlights on I dont see a drop/rise in the tach when I shift between neutral and drive. When all the accessories are off though I can see the tach move when I shift between neutral and drive.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Any electrical load you add will cause the engine to idle slightly higher, hence reducing vibration. Also when the engine is cold it'll idle higher to get the cats up to temperature (for emissions).

Neutral, for the "old" AT was 800-850 RPM. D, with no accessories, can drop to 650 RPM and you get some pretty annoying vibrations. Turn on the fan or whatever and the idle goes just high enough to make vibrations less.
The problem is that a few of us are experiencing these fatiguing vibrations while others arent. I can confirm our 8th gen also has a noticeable drop in rpm from neutal to drive but the vibrations are well tamed. The vibrations in the 8th gen are not enough to induce excursion on the front seats as they do on the 9th gen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.