Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally would rather have the automatic trans because I've been driving stick most of my life and I am used to that slight jerk when you shift. I kind of miss it but I have to say my 2015 sport feels nice driving. I am just worried in the long run how the cvt engine will hold up. It is only a few years old and there is no evidence yet to say they could last 100k easy yet (of course when properly maintained). Crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the Honda CVT. Honda used a CVT in the original insight as part of the IMA system. This is a tried and true powertrain and those original insights have gone well over 200K miles. Honda has had more than a decade of real world experience with CVTs from those Insights before applying them in the Accords.

I've owned both a CVT and an auto and I prefer the auto; not to say the CVT is bad.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Automatic without a doubt. There is a reason the CVT is NOT used behind the 6 banger, it cant handle the torque. When CVT's are strong enough to be in pickup trucks, then I might look at them. Otherwise until someone gets 300k or so on one, I don't think they will last as long as a regular auto before a costly rebuild.

Oh and Honda makes the best CVT out there so far as to date and they get better mpg than the manual.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Neither (in 15 years).

The Accord hybrid and Tesla are showing the world that transmissions won't be needed.

Moderator's Note: Are you baiting member "Flyboy", a.k.a. "Defender of the Honda CVT"?

Reactions: Slides

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
CVT. I went from a manual 6 speed to this CVT. I love it. I don't need to feel a "shift". Although it is programed to feel like it is kicking down when flooring it from a constant speed and again while in Sport mode and using the paddle shifters. Heck, even in regular Drive you can use the paddles to shift up or down and it feels like it's changing gears. But it really not.

Probably the biggest difference other than not being used in higher powered cars (yet) is when you floor it from a near stop (say up the onramp to the freeway) it will go straight to redline and just stay there as it gains speed quickly. You will not feel any "shifts" then.

This CVT has 7 computer programed shift points but in reality it's really an infinite ratio as it doesn't have gears. It's easy to check what "gear" your in when on the freeway - just hit the "up" shift paddle and the "D" will change to "7", hit it again and nothing will change, hit the "down" and it will briefly go to "6" then back to D. Even in Sport Mode it will "shift" by itself just at higher RPMS.

Then again, I'm just a person who is done with that whole feeling of shifting. I just want to push on the gas and get to where I'm going and this car does it perfectly and quickly.

Reactions: GreenTeaRex

·
Registered
491 Posts
Neither (in 15 years).

The Accord hybrid and Tesla are showing the world that transmissions won't be needed.

Moderator's Note: Are you baiting member "Flyboy", a.k.a. "Defender of the Honda CVT"?
LOL :lurk:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Driving in suburbia (such as Rick's neighborhood), there are times I wish I was driving an auto. Dad's cvt is a joy to drive in this area with all the stop lights. Then there's the on/off ramps where I'm hammering the throttle in 3rd or 4th gear. Driving in the mountains, MT all the way.

Considering I'm keeping my MT for another 8 yrs, I'll be too old and lazy to care anymore. Will get an AT of some sort (cvt or otherwise).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I personally would rather have the automatic trans because I've been driving stick most of my life and I am used to that slight jerk when you shift. I kind of miss it but I have to say my 2015 sport feels nice driving. I am just worried in the long run how the cvt engine will hold up. It is only a few years old and there is no evidence yet to say they could last 100k easy yet (of course when properly maintained). Crossing my fingers!
My 2013 EX-L is the first CVT I've owned. Prior to that, I had the two cars in my sig below (one a MT and the other an AT). I've also owned several other MT and AT cars in the past from Toyota, Mazda, and Ford.

It's really a tough call. On one hand, I really like the CVT. It gets great gas mileage (I average 29-31 MPG on 70% city/suburbs and 30% highway driving which is pretty amazing for a nearly 200 HP engine). I get 38-41 MPG in 100% highway driving. And the CVT is very smooth as long as you don't really stomp the gas. What I've found after almost two years of ownership is that the CVT does not like really hard acceleration. Sure, it will go forward when you accelerate, but it just seems to feel sluggish and confused when you really push it hard from a dead stop. The throttle response is just not there. I've actually changed how I accelerate for this very reason. I start off much more gently with this car than I did with my prior Accords. When I drive like that, it's very smooth and predictable. If you feather the acceleration lightly, it's as smooth as silk (although the people behind you with a lead foot might not be too happy).

But on the other hand, I sort of miss "winding up" the gears in my previous cars. Hitting the gas, feeling the revs go up to about 2,500 or so, then the shift...then wind up the next gear. I know the CVT is programmed to mimic an AT and, honestly, it does a pretty good job of that I have to admit. And I know you can drive in Sport mode but I think the 3,000 RPM shift point is way too high...they should've programmed it around 2,300-2,500.

Anyway, the more I drive it, the more I really seem to like it and I'm almost to the point where I don't miss my prior AT and MT cars. In fact, a few weeks ago, I had to rent a Kia Optima with an AT and I actually missed my CVT after 4 days in that car.

The CVT has a lot going for it but it's not perfect. And neither are AT's for that matter to be honest. I guess we'll just have to wait a few more years to see if people are getting 100K plus miles out of them. In that regard, I'm not really too worried. I have an 8 year/120K HondaCare warranty and also a lifetime powertrain warranty from my dealer. :grin

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Since my Accord has been out of commission for a month I have driven a rental Chevy Sonic and a loaner Acura MDX. Both had regular automatic transmissions and I missed the smooth operation of the Accord's CVT. The Accord CVT is an amazing transmission that always chooses the correct ratio to keep the engine operating at an RPM that's in the optimum torque range for your driving conditions.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oh and Honda makes the best CVT out there so far as to date and they get better mpg than the manual.
I promise I'm not trying to turn this into an mt vs cvt thread, but what kind of mpg do you get on the highway. Autos have many more inefficiencies than manual. I bet I get better mpg than you.

EDIT: I prefer the smoothness of the cvt. however, I would like to see its reliability proved before buying one.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I've never driven a CVT but from the videos, it looks boring and takes the fun out of driving. Turns the car into an appliance regardless of how efficient it is. There is something nice about hearing an engine wind through the gears and speed increase with RPM's. For spirited driving, looks boring to see the engine sit at 6000 RPM drone and watch the car's speed catch up.

Then on the other hand, who wants a 9 speed auto and have the trans shift 5 or 6 times to hit 40 M.P.H.? So I guess that for normal driving CVT is ok but for enthusiasts or for spirited driving it must be very sterile. CVT's have been successful for Honda so far so there's got to be more coming. For now it's automatics for me until there are no more alternatives.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I promise I'm not trying to turn this into an mt vs cvt thread, but what kind of mpg do you get on the highway. Autos have many more inefficiencies than manual. I bet I get better mpg than you.

EDIT: I prefer the smoothness of the cvt. however, I would like to see its reliability proved before buying one.
So far its about 90% city and 10% highway. So far I am getting 33 mpg but my car has less than 1000 miles and the engine is not fully broken in yet. My sister has the identical car I have with the CVT and she has about 9K on it. She does long trips and gets a hair over 40mpg. I will take the car on a highway trip one of these days, but don't think I can squeak out that mpg. Oh and she drives 75-80. My Jetta Tdi gets 55 mpg on the highway and about 44 city. Wish Honda sold the diesel over here.:frown

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I love the comments about how a CVT may not be a long lasting transmission. News flash, Honda’s regular planetary transmission ain’t the greatest for reliability! Honda’s automatic transmissions have always been their weakest link. Many of them need rebuilds as they age. A question I would like to have answered regards the cost to rebuild a CVT. Assuming both types of autos need rebuilds as they age, which is cheaper and by how much?

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
I love the comments about how a CVT may not be a long lasting transmission. News flash, Honda’s regular planetary transmission ain’t the greatest for reliability! Honda’s automatic transmissions have always been their weakest link. Many of them need rebuilds as they age. A question I would like to have answered regards to cost to rebuild a CVT. Assuming both types of autos need rebuilds as they age, which is cheaper and by how much?
Honda step-gear automatic transmissions are unique in that they do not use planetary gears. The link below explains this and some of the problems associated with this design.

Honda Accord and Acura TL Transmission Service and Repair | Accord Transmission Gaithersburg | Accord Transmission Rockville

Conventional automatic transmissions with planetary gears have been manufactured for something like 60+ years. While somewhat complex, these transmissions are based upon well-proven technology and are very reliable.

As Honda moves to the ZF 9-speed automatic transmission for V6 applications, we may soon see the end of of the unique, Honda-designed automatic.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Since my Accord has been out of commission for a month I have driven a rental Chevy Sonic and a loaner Acura MDX. Both had regular automatic transmissions and I missed the smooth operation of the Accord's CVT. The Accord CVT is an amazing transmission that always chooses the correct ratio to keep the engine operating at an RPM that's in the optimum torque range for your driving conditions.
What happened to your Accord?

For the record I'll take a CVT anyday howver I'm fond of the DCT - best of both worlds - super fast shifts which are virtually imperceptible and the sporty feel of a real transmission when you stomp on it

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Honda step-gear automatic transmissions are unique in that they do not use planetary gears. The link below explains this and some of the problems associated with this design.

Honda Accord and Acura TL Transmission Service and Repair | Accord Transmission Gaithersburg | Accord Transmission Rockville

Conventional automatic transmissions with planetary gears have been manufactured for something like 60+ years. While somewhat complex, these transmissions are based upon well-proven technology and are very reliable.

As Honda moves to the ZF 9-speed automatic transmission for V6 applications, we may soon see the end of of the unique, Honda-designed automatic.
I did not know that Honda used their own transmission design for their step-up automatic transmission, which also explains their less-than-perfect reliability. As always I appreciate your input. Many thanks.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My 2013 EX-L is the first CVT I've owned. Prior to that, I had the two cars in my sig below (one a MT and the other an AT). I've also owned several other MT and AT cars in the past from Toyota, Mazda, and Ford.

It's really a tough call. On one hand, I really like the CVT. It gets great gas mileage (I average 29-31 MPG on 70% city/suburbs and 30% highway driving which is pretty amazing for a nearly 200 HP engine). I get 38-41 MPG in 100% highway driving. And the CVT is very smooth as long as you don't really stomp the gas. What I've found after almost two years of ownership is that the CVT does not like really hard acceleration. Sure, it will go forward when you accelerate, but it just seems to feel sluggish and confused when you really push it hard from a dead stop. The throttle response is just not there. I've actually changed how I accelerate for this very reason. I start off much more gently with this car than I did with my prior Accords. When I drive like that, it's very smooth and predictable. If you feather the acceleration lightly, it's as smooth as silk (although the people behind you with a lead foot might not be too happy).

But on the other hand, I sort of miss "winding up" the gears in my previous cars. Hitting the gas, feeling the revs go up to about 2,500 or so, then the shift...then wind up the next gear. I know the CVT is programmed to mimic an AT and, honestly, it does a pretty good job of that I have to admit. And I know you can drive in Sport mode but I think the 3,000 RPM shift point is way too high...they should've programmed it around 2,300-2,500.

Anyway, the more I drive it, the more I really seem to like it and I'm almost to the point where I don't miss my prior AT and MT cars. In fact, a few weeks ago, I had to rent a Kia Optima with an AT and I actually missed my CVT after 4 days in that car.

The CVT has a lot going for it but it's not perfect. And neither are AT's for that matter to be honest. I guess we'll just have to wait a few more years to see if people are getting 100K plus miles out of them. In that regard, I'm not really too worried. I have an 8 year/120K HondaCare warranty and also a lifetime powertrain warranty from my dealer. :grin
I've noticed the same thing as well. Even when you're on the highway and you want to push the car harder, the car will hesitate and hold back. Even disengaging the Econ mode will yield the same results albeit with a similar twist.

Personally, the CVT is an interesting type of tranny but, I'd rather have a regular automatic transmission that will respond once I push the car harder.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I cross shopped the Mazda 6 GT and the Accord Touring I4 CVT.. the mazda 6 was more fun to drive with a flawless quick shifting 6 speed auto.. the V6 Touring 6AT and the 6AT in my Venza were clunky shifted hard and didn't ever know which gear it wanted to be in.

Since I decided to buy another Honda I picked the I4 for the smoothness of the CVT during stop and go traffic and I'm just sick of the hard shiftting 5-speed auto I had in my TSX as it got old... I also cant stand the shift flares of a regular automatic.... makes me feel like its about to break on me.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts