Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pulling the trigger on a k24a2 from an 07 tsx. Gonna go with ktuner. Got the 2005 MT ECU in the mail and the engine will be here in 4 weeks.

Will not be looking to go past 300hp in final config, should I get aftermarket "performance" engine mounts or just new OEM ones?

Should I be getting a different throttle or will the dbc throttle from the '03 k24a4 be big enough?

Would going to a straight pipe with a resonator be a good move? Custom headers are not gonna be in the budget this year.

While I have the trans decoupled, I may as well do a new clutch and flywheel. OEM? Aftermarket? Car is now track only, but we are looking for an emphasis on not breaking down.

Read about the k20 oil pump mod. Sounds nice, looks nice, don't wanna risk opening the engine and removing the timing chain. Is this a "must do" mod? How about just popping in a baffle instead?

Should I be getting a bigger radiator?

More to come.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So the first thing to understand about k swapping an engine is that dudes in new Jersey who think they are slick will fight with every fiber of their being to sell you a K24a instead of a k24a2. I called 4 different suppliers who were happily going to sell me NOT an "06-08 k24a2 from a TSX" despite me asking for this as specifically as possible, over and over again. Get used to this:

"Hi I'm looking to buy an 06-08 k24a2 from an Acura TSX"
"yeah, I can get you a k24"
"Great, and it would be an 06-08 k24a2 from an Acura tsx?"
"yeah its an RBB"
"
You said RBB, but I know there are a lot of different configurations for these engines designated k24 and RBB, can I specifically buy a 06-08 k24a2 from an Acura tsx from you today?"
"let me look ... Yeah I can get you a K24a2"
"From an 06-08 tsx?"
"its an rbb3."
... This continues for another minute, I call another shop, ends up to be in Jersey, same thing happens. Call another shop, in NC, conversation starts up again but guy quickly admits he won't be able to get it, he would get one from an odyssey or an accord euro. Thank you to NC engine man for being honest.

Finally found a seller who was selling exactly what I was looking for. Called to confirm. Just heard "yes" this time to all my answers. Was thrilled, bought the engine. The tsx k24a2 from 06-08, the hot one with the slightly bigger valves.

Then this showed up.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Bumper

VIN # cut off

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim Tire

It might be that the engine is stamped RAA in some places on a k24a2

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Tread

RBB-2 is not the final revision, I was specifically trying to get an engine that says RBB-3 or RBB-4 here...

Gas Metal Fixture Rim Auto part

And it might say RBB in a couple other spots.

Automotive tire Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior Automotive design

But it doesn't mean it's a k24a2 from a TSX.

Make sure you get a picture of the vin stamp BEFORE the engine is shipped if you are trying to get a k24a2. And MAKE SURE you use a service that has "get what you bought" buyer protection. I still might get jabbed somehow on shipping.

Don't trust peoples shamelessly misleading sales pitches when buying an engine online, get a picture of the vin or an identifying mark as early as possible. Apparently K24a's are so cheap it's worth risking eating shipping both ways if you can sell one instead of an a2. Nice try jersey man.

· ziptie princess
2,436 Posts
Pulling the trigger on a k24a2 from an 07 tsx. Gonna go with ktuner. Got the 2005 MT ECU in the mail and the engine will be here in 4 weeks.

Will not be looking to go past 300hp in final config, should I get aftermarket "performance" engine mounts or just new OEM ones?

Should I be getting a different throttle or will the dbc throttle from the '03 k24a4 be big enough?

Would going to a straight pipe with a resonator be a good move? Custom headers are not gonna be in the budget this year.

While I have the trans decoupled, I may as well do a new clutch and flywheel. OEM? Aftermarket? Car is now track only, but we are looking for an emphasis on not breaking down.

Read about the k20 oil pump mod. Sounds nice, looks nice, don't wanna risk opening the engine and removing the timing chain. Is this a "must do" mod? How about just popping in a baffle instead?

Should I be getting a bigger radiator?

More to come.
there's a seller on ebay that has the 60a innovative joints for $330 but if oem is cheaper do that instead, you'd probably be fine

you'll want a bigger throttle body if you can find room for it in the budget- euro r is the easiest solution but it looks like some of the aftermarket ones should work too. you can use an rsx tps on an accord harness if you need to, that's what i did with my euro r.

does the track have db limits?

exedy clutches are my go-to for track abuse, particularly their puck clutches.

how are your coolant temps on track now?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice will look at exedy clutch.

I was looking during my sessions and coolant was sitting nicely at 186-188. The max said 192 but I didn't see it cross 190 while I was in the seat. This is with the k24a4, IDK what temps will be with the k24a2 once it's in.

We do have db limits but I'm told a single resonator on a straight pipe will typically cover it.

· ziptie princess
2,436 Posts
you use coolant and not water + water wetter? stock rad should be fine for the a2 i’d imagine, might be worth spending the money on an oil cooler instead

for resonators, longer is typically better- shoot for something like 18” minimum (you’ve got room in the tunnel) and you could stick a smaller one where the stock muffler goes without really losing anything power-wise too

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I meant "coolant temperature" on the OBD. We are running water and water wetter, we'd get peeled if we spilled glycol in our series.

I put antifreeze in the engine for the winter and will have to flush it again before our race in May for those who would have asked.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
you'll want a bigger throttle body if you can find room for it in the budget- euro r is the easiest solution but it looks like some of the aftermarket ones should work too. you can use an rsx tps on an accord harness if you need to, that's what i did with my euro r.
I am looking but finding different info, (68 tapered to 62, 65, 65.5 tapered to 62.5, 62...)

do you know the diameter of the euro R TB?

· ziptie princess
2,436 Posts
i can try to find time to take it apart to measure for you in the next day or so but fwiw i’m using a tsx inlet tube and tsx tb gasket so it should be the same size as the tsx

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i can try to find time to take it apart to measure for you in the next day or so but fwiw i’m using a tsx inlet tube and tsx tb gasket so it should be the same size as the tsx
Super nice of you to offer but please don't go to all that trouble, I know it's bigger than the accord TB and I need to upgrade. That's good enough for me.

I am looking at an aftermarket manifold and 70mm throttle kit. Does this look like it's gonna work or suck(in the bad way)?
Photograph White Product Font Machine

· ziptie princess
2,436 Posts
looks like a copy of an older skunk2 design- has the coolant passage integrated into the manifold (unlike the k20 manifolds) which is nice, since you shouldn’t need a separate adapter, but it does look like you’ll need to add a fitting for the hose. with those short runners you’ll probably lose some power under the curve but on a track car, and especially with an a2, i think you’ll be okay.

the stock a2 manifold flows pretty well, but the skunk2 style of manifold lends itself to easier packaging/intake design if nothing else- getting the throttle cable set up for the euro r throttle body with a tsx intake manifold in an accord was kind of a pain (i’m also using a billet rsx throttle cable bracket but i plan to make a custom one due to clearance issues)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts