Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey da. I'm going to change my spark plugs soon and I am wondering of it is mandatory to change out the ignition coils as well. The coils are fairly expensive so I don't want to change them if I don't need to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nope, you only replace those as they go bad, if that happens. You might be thinking of spark plug wires on older cars, which they do recommend replacing with the plugs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I priced them out on rockauto and for OE coils they were around $35 a piece. If I plan on keeping my car much longer than the recommended plug change interval I will consider replacing all my coils at the same time. From my experience when one does die,the others are usually not far behind. Rather than deal with the cycle of it kicking a coil every 6 months,I'll just change them all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I priced them out on rockauto and for OE coils they were around $35 a piece. If I plan on keeping my car much longer than the recommended plug change interval I will consider replacing all my coils at the same time. From my experience when one does die,the others are usually not far behind. Rather than deal with the cycle of it kicking a coil every 6 months,I'll just change them all.
35 dollars a piece sounds reasonable, but my accord is the PZEV model which uses a different kind of spark plugs than other accord. ive looked them up and the lowest ive seen is 20 per plug. im not sure im ready to spend that much yet. lol

·
Registered
131 Posts

These cars go much much longer than the spark plug interval time and no you don't have to replace the coils. When one goes bad you replace that one any you're good to go. I still have original coils on my pilot and it's at 186k, I ripped one of the rubber boots so replaced that one haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts