Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like some of the DIY show the tools and parts used.
Lets say I have almost none...not even a jack yet.
I'm going to Sears or I'd prefer online shopping.
please forgive me I'm not good with tool names yet.
Can anyone help get me started with:
Pads/Rotors/calipers install (clamp, should i buy an electric socket gun for wheel removal?)
Brake fluid (flushing and bleed tool?)
throttle plenum
routine inspections
spark plugs suggestion?
I see these big mechanics tool kits..that seems a bit much for one or 2 specific cars.
I see special tool#s in the honda manual. Do i need some of those?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
okay you will need a floor jack, jack stand, socket and wench set, breaker bar, tq wench, flare wench to do the brakes, and gloves.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Ramps
set of Box end wrenches
Screwdriver set

·
Registered
44 Posts
3/8" drive ratchet with both a long and short extension. Basic metric socket set to go along with it, both deepwell and normal depth sockets. I can't remember what size socket you'll need for the brake caliper bolts, but it'll likely be 12mm. If your socket set ranges from 8mm - 18mm you should pretty much cover all of your bases.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
Spark Plugs are iridium tipped and will last in excess of 100,000 miles. Denso or NGK would be the brands to look for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Buy a basic tool set that includes 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" sockets and ratchets, along with varity of wrenches and screwdrivers. I have a Craftsman catalog right next to me, 009-34260 is a nice basic kit. Jack and jack stands are nice. If you plan on doing your own brakes(rotors) you will need an impact driver to remove the screws. Also a decent c clamp for squeezing in the calipers. Feel free to ask about specific tools, I work on a lot of Hondas/Acuras.

·
1,927 Posts
Can't hurt to have a good oil filter wrench. The strap kinds work well, as do the ones that look like large sockets. The breaker bar and torque wrench are both excellent ideas that should be right behind your basic tool set on your shopping list.

One of my most used tools has been a 4 lb. lead shot filled soft face mallet. It proves one of my basic laws of auto/home repair:

Don't force it - get a larger hammer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stuff!

Buy a basic tool set that includes 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" sockets and ratchets, along with varity of wrenches and screwdrivers. I have a Craftsman catalog right next to me, 009-34260 is a nice basic kit. Jack and jack stands are nice. If you plan on doing your own brakes(rotors) you will need an impact driver to remove the screws. Also a decent c clamp for squeezing in the calipers. Feel free to ask about specific tools, I work on a lot of Hondas/Acuras.

Being that BLACK FRIDAY is just around the corner, show up at Sears for a lot of cool sales, a lot at half off. I got a floor jack for $25 and a sweet mutli meter for $10 last year.. and it's all craftsman, lifetime warrantee!

Their Mechanic's sets will have a good starter setup, get as many pieces as you can afford. Also a multi meter for electrical, a 4 way lug wrench. Ramps are a must! tire chalks (or a brick to use as one) A crawler to save your back.

You can also pick up some stuff at lowes or home depot in the under $10 bins for the holidays. I got 3 piecs crescent wrench set for that as well as a decent pack of screwdrivers. HomeDepot and Lowes tools are Craftsmen OEM.

I also keep one of those 8 n one screw drivers in my glove box, just in case.

Beer and rolling cooler or very hospitable wife or girlfriend. A Radio..

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts
Get a basic mechanics tool set. Something like this
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...21x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00933182000P

If you're going to be doing alot of wheel R&R get a torque wrench, you don't need a snap-on or craftsman for torquing wheels but if you'll be doing more precise stuff get a nicer one.
A multi-meter is a great tool to have, even if its a $4 one from harbor freight.
I use nut drivers often, for things such as removing batteries/hose clamps.
I guess it depends on how much wrenching you want to do, I do quite a bit and have a lot of tools, it's a sickness once you get started. You don't have to buy the nicest tools for things you do occasionally but for the stuff that you use a lot get higher quality lifetime guarantee tools.
If you're going to buy an impact gun don't forget to get impact sockets, impact guns can split chrome sockets pretty easily.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the advice. What about one of those brake bleed kits?
Would that make the job easier?
All the other fluids don't seem to be needed to changed often (coolant 120k right?) auto transmission..maybe i'll wait til 75k. The manual says 90,000 i think.

·
Registered
219 Posts
thanks for the advice. What about one of those brake bleed kits?
Would that make the job easier?
All the other fluids don't seem to be needed to changed often (coolant 120k right?) auto transmission..maybe i'll wait til 75k. The manual says 90,000 i think.
Easier, yes. Necessary, no. You should spend your money on the essentials, first. GOOD jack stands, a quality torque wrench and some good hand tools (wrenches/sockets/screwdrivers) would be the best bang for the buck.

SB

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree, don't waste your money on a brake bleeder unless you plan on changing the fluid a lot.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like some of the DIY show the tools and parts used.
Lets say I have almost none...not even a jack yet.
I'm going to Sears or I'd prefer online shopping.
please forgive me I'm not good with tool names yet.
Can anyone help get me started with:
Pads/Rotors/calipers install (clamp, should i buy an electric socket gun for wheel removal?)
Brake fluid (flushing and bleed tool?)
throttle plenum
routine inspections
spark plugs suggestion?
I see these big mechanics tool kits..that seems a bit much for one or 2 specific cars.
I see special tool#s in the honda manual. Do i need some of those?
I do recomend Craftsmen tools, they are good for the money. Get a mechanic tool kit from Sears, when they run a speical you can pick up a decent kit for like $150. Get a good jack & stands also.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The first tool is actually a reference, buy a repair manual. Go with the factory edition thru a dealer for the hard copy or go ebay for the electronic. The haynes is adequate but once you go factory you will not regret it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The first tool is actually a reference, buy a repair manual. Go with the factory edition thru a dealer for the hard copy or go ebay for the electronic. The haynes is adequate but once you go factory you will not regret it.

Good call! Don't even waste your money on a Haynes or Chilton, get an OE. www.helminc.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts