Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2010 LX-P sedan yesterday. I'm looking to do two main things to it. Add XM and add a compass/homelink mirror.

First question:
Can I swap a head unit with XM from an EX-L. I don't have dual climate control and don't really need it. Just wondering if I can swap the HU and get the XM...along with adding the fin up top of course. Is this possible without swapping out the whole HVAC control system?

Can I get something like this and just put the HU in my existing bezel and have it work? Obviously, I would install and run the XM antenna down... And do I need to get a matching display?

Second:
I haven't done any investigating yet, but is there a harness/plug in the headliner that I can tap into the necessary power/ground connections to add the mirror? I'm considering one with compass/homelink/temp...I understand I will have to add the temp sensor...

Thoughts?

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
In regard to the first question (XM), check out this thread. Should give you some insight on how to get the job done. As far as IF it can be done, I don't see why it couldn't, but I don't know for sure in your case, as the OP for that thread did it on an EX and not an LX. Hopefully someone else that knows better than I do on this matter comes through!

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 LX-P sedan yesterday. I'm looking to do two main things to it. Add XM and add a compass/homelink mirror.

First question:
Can I swap a head unit with XM from an EX-L. I don't have dual climate control and don't really need it. Just wondering if I can swap the HU and get the XM...along with adding the fin up top of course. Is this possible without swapping out the whole HVAC control system?

Can I get something like this and just put the HU in my existing bezel and have it work? Obviously, I would install and run the XM antenna down... And do I need to get a matching display?

Second:
I haven't done any investigating yet, but is there a harness/plug in the headliner that I can tap into the necessary power/ground connections to add the mirror? I'm considering one with compass/homelink/temp...I understand I will have to add the temp sensor...

Thoughts?
With enough money and time you can do anything. The radio connections for the LX and EX models are NOT directly interchangeable. There is a member who did it, but wasn't a job for the unitiated. suggest you just use an XM adapter for that. As to the home link, compass mirror deal, check out College Hills Honda.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My experience with vehicles has been mostly GM. Honda is a new game to me. GM builds a given model mostly all the same, especially radios, and most of the time, if you don't have the particular option you're looking for, you do have the wiring for it if you can just get the part you want and then just tap into it.

You're right, I found this thread later on after posting my question, but didn't notice that it was another EX that the OP did it on. I guess if the radios aren't interchangeable, it probably isn't worth the hassle.

Don't really want to go with a seperate XM tuner in the aux port. I want to keep it as clean as physically possible. It may be better to go with an aftermarket HU and integrate XM into that. Either way, I'll do the factory XM antenna since I think it's cleaner looking.

If I go with an aftermarket and the dash-adapter plate, what can I do with the display screen? Nothing? Anyone put anything else up there?

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Instead of going for the dash-adapter kit, you can always get a full aftermarket HU, in which you'll replace the upper screen with a bigger one that [I think] is touch screen. There are contrasting reviews on them, for the most part. These HUs in question are the x81ACRD units (S81ACRD, P81ACRD, N81ACRD, and probably others that I don't recall at the moment lol). Although I think going with the dash-adapter kit would be better since there are far more HU options to choose from, and – of course –*better software/hardware.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't really care about the screen one way or another. Biggest thing I want to get is XM and be able to play/charge my iPhone at the same time. I can live without the iPhone integration with the factory aux input, but XM is what I'm really after. Don't see that capability with the Ingenix...

Several years ago, I had a 2001 Chevy Impala that I swapped to an '03 model, XM-ready HU and then added an aftermarket XM tuner that integrated right to the factory radio. That car is long gone. :(

Did the same thing with my current 2003 Chevy Tahoe. I also have iPhone integration also that lets me listen and charge my iPhone at the same time.

Would like to do the same with the Accord, but it's looking bleak without going with an aftermarket system. My only drawback with an aftermarket system is what to do with that blank screen. I don't care if the screen is color or touch or monochrome. Just seems pointless to have it sit there without even another dash pocket to put there. Not opposed to it, I'd just like to have some sort of use for that part of the dash.

The car's drivability and reliability record is what drove me to buy it... Loved the how it drove and rode during the test drive. Even though it's a 2010, there's almost no miles on it (38k). Was looking at a NEW 2015 Hyundai Sonata and my lady and I picked the USED Accord over the NEW Hyundai. That says something. But like I said, Hondas are totally new to me in what upgrades you can do with them.

Are the LX and EX radios really that different? Even the EX models that didn't have XM? Is the wiring really that different between the different EX trim models depending on options? From the front, the EX and LX radios look the same. Guess I haven't seen the back. I can tell that the LX radio and the XM -ready EX radio have plugs in different locations, but the physical plugs look the same save for the extra port that connects to the XM tuner. But I have not seen one in person...just looking at photos I'm finding online :)

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
I would go with an aftermarket HU hands down. It adds on so many features to the car and really enhances the entire driving experience. I don't think I can drive another car without Bluetooth again (I love how my music automatically starts playing from my phone as soon as I enter my car + hands free calling!). Never thought I needed it but the addition of a backup cam has made guessing distance obsolete; perfect parking every time. I can even mirror my iPhone to the HU, which can be great for GPS or even watching videos.

While it sucks to have the top display go dead, the upside from all these additional features are well worth it in my case. If it really bothers you, like it did for me, you can put another unit up top. As teezy mentioned, the 81ACRD are plug and play right into the top slot, or you can go custom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been really looking hard at the Kenwood DPX501BT which would add Bluetooth (both phone connectivity and music playback), USB, 1/8" aux and is XM ready, which the XM tuner can be got for nothing once rebates are all said and done. Would just need to get an antenna adapter because I would definitely get the Honda XM fin antenna and drill the roof for it. I think that's a cleaner install and don't have to worry about cable entry.

Will be installing a VHF ham transceiver in the car also and I guess if the screen is dead, it would be a good spot to install the control head for the VHF transceiver. Just not sure how to make it a good custom fit. Maybe there is a company that could make something with some abs that would work with my control head?

My plan is to drill the roof in the center for my NMO antenna for the ham transceiver and then the satellite antenna will be installed in the factory location, about 3" forward of the top edge of the rear windshield. So the headliner will have to be dropped....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I'm actually going to pick up a Gentex mirror with compass/homelink and possibly temp as well and splice it all in. I like having the compass/temp display since I have it that way in my Tahoe. And since homelink is an option in those mirrors, might as well do it that way. The only problem I see is trying to swap out the camlock button for the wedge button. I'll either have to stick the wedge below it, or see if I can get the camlock button off by using a "little E" guitar string as a saw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts