Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front wheel drive and traction control rocks :) We got hit bad in Atlanta with an ice/snow mixture but my Accord never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Cool story.

Yeah, I agree, this car handles great in the Utah snow.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Got hit "bad" was not the case because most places only saw on inch or so down there. Its the fact that your area doesn't have snow removal/salting trucks because its unusual to see that kind of weather that made it so bad. The accord does pretty well for what it is, but no car/truck does well on ice without studded tires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Got hit "bad" was not the case because most places only saw on inch or so down there. Its the fact that your area doesn't have snow removal/salting trucks because its unusual to see that kind of weather that made it so bad. The accord does pretty well for what it is, but no car/truck does well on ice without studded tires.
Wrong there was way more than a inch. There is still a inch of ice outside and it's over 60 degrees. The problem was there wasn't much snow. It was all sleet and Ice. Overall my accord did better than the other cars I seen driving. I still didn't go to work cause I drive a hour and a half one way and I don't trust these a-holes that think just cause they got a truck that ice don't affect them. You would think that they would slow down when just about all of the vehicles in the ditches was trucks. I just put it in 4th gear and set the cruise on 30 and stayed between the lines.

·
Registered
462 Posts
come to the North where we actually get snow lol

You got that right! A bit of ice down south, ha! We call that spring time driving.

·
Quebec NorthPole
58 Posts
Come to Quebec :D I love my 13' Sport.. Its like a tank in the snow that we got up here. hehe. Im on Nokian Hakkapelitta 7 Studded, this is [my opinion] the best winter tires you can get.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Many years ago I used to think that cars with all-season tires did OK in the snow. Then I tried real winter tires and found out that no matter how well I thought an all-season equipped car did a winter tire equipped car did that much better. This is still true today.

I'm willing to bet that all those who say their all-season equipped Accord does well in snow/ice will find it does nowhere near as well as a winter tire equipped car, if they're honest.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Come to Quebec :D I love my 13' Sport.. Its like a tank in the snow that we got up here. hehe. Im on Nokian Hakkapelitta 7 Studded, this is [my opinion] the best winter tires you can get.
Hakkas are great tires. I was using them every winter in the 1980s before Bridgestone make winter tires popular with the introduction of the Blizzak. I've tried Blizzaks and I would choose Hakkas over them any day.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Many years ago I used to think that cars with all-season tires did OK in the snow. Then I tried real winter tires and found out that no matter how well I thought an all-season equipped car did a winter tire equipped car did that much better. This is still true today.

I'm willing to bet that all those who say their all-season equipped Accord does well in snow/ice will find it does nowhere near as well as a winter tire equipped car, if they're honest.
There is no doubt that you are correct. :yes:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Might do snows next year.

I wish that the Touring had come with paddles, in order to lock in 2nd-gear like I could on my previous Hondas.

Failing that, dropping the shifter into "S" and turning on "ECO" mode is close enough for jazz, though 2nd-gear is a bit lower on this Accord, enough that going much over 25mph or so takes the engine up to 3,000rpms, which is a little too fast. (After which time, I shift back to "D" and leave "ECO" on, since the dulled throttle response is an asset on snow.)

As far as tires, I drew the good card in the lottery and got the Michelin MXV4s, but I wish I could have had a 17" version of the MXM4s like those found on the Sport and Canuck Tourings, as I replaced my OEM MXV4s with a set of those on my 2006, and there was a bit of a difference in winter handling. Still, after a couple snow events in my Touring, I've gotten used to the feel, and it's secure enough to get through several inches without complaint! :thmsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts

For me the cost to go to a winter/summer tire setup vs all season was worth it. To have better all around traction all 4 seasons is definitely a mod worth doing. You lose some on gas mileage, tire cost will be higher, but you will stop, turn and accelerate much better. And last I checked accelerating, turning and braking were all a big part of driving a car. As much as I would like to do the touring drl-led upgrade to my sport, it just wasn't as important. Plus the winter tire upgrade let me buy new rims for my summer tread :thmsup:

·
2013 EX-L 2.4 sedan white
46 Posts
Hakkas are great tires. I was using them every winter in the 1980s before Bridgestone make winter tires popular with the introduction of the Blizzak. I've tried Blizzaks and I would choose Hakkas over them any day.
Now i use studded Hakka 7, super tires, no problem, Accord rides like a tank. In the past i used Bridgestone WT-17, ICE Cruiser 7000, Michelin X-ICE North, Gislaved Nord Frost. Hakka is the best, i think.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I agree 100%. Honda puts crappy tires on Accords at the factory. Mine are OEM and close to needing replacement. I can hardly wait to get a new set of "real" tires..........:lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My issue with tires is they are too wide for all season tires. You get a great deal of hydroplaning, and turning becomes less with snow and rain. Our 2000 Solara does better with the smaller narrower tires. Just the rules of physics that there is no perfect wheel or tire combination for all season.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I like my All-seasons so far, however there is no snow (as it has all been cleared off the streets) however in a snowfall winter tires are second to none. I wince at putting them on as I hate the look of the black steelies :( But oh well better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the low profile 40 series Goodyear LS2 18" tires that are dreadful in anything other than light snow. So on numerous snow days this winter in northwest NJ, I either work from home or drive my wife's CRV to work when she doesn't need it. I definitely need set of 4 winter tires/dedicated wheels. Had winters on my 2006 330ci and the car was great on snow covered roads, world of difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts