Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car a week....my girlfreind has put 600 miles on it and washed it 4 times...as yet I will not let her put a rag to it as I am concerned about swirl marks on the black finish...she washes it with a sprayer and blow drys it with my elect. leaf blower....any suggestions on detailing the exterior would be appreciated, and any way to mitigate these possible swirl marks that seem to be inherent on black paint.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
There's a HUGE plethora of things you can do to help prevent/reduce swirl marks and other damaging effects to your paint. I suggest the forum autogeekonline.com for specifics.

For basics I'd make sure to do a 2 bucket wash system.

>1 bucket = water
>1 bucket = soapy water

Use your wash mitt in soapy bucket, wash car, then rinse in clean bucket, THEN soap up again in soapy bucket then wash car, repeat. This way you get most of the dirt off the mitt before putting it back into your soapy water, thereby helping to prevent rubbing the dirt your removing from the paint surface into the paint hurting it more.

If you can get something called a grit guard. It goes in the bottom of the bucket and looks like a grilly fan thing. Basically what it does is lets dirt settle below it and holds it in place so that it doesn't swish around in the bucket. :)

Other than that, start from the top and go to the bottom. Use multiple mitts if possible to avoid contaminating different regions (one for top half, one for lower half, etc). You're on the right track though with blow drying it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...I bookmarked those sites, and printed some of the pages for my GF to read...have any of you ever used Protectall Products...I've been using it on my bike for years and found it works pretty well...I tried it on the Accord and it looked great...Wash, Blow Dry and Protectall with a Microfiber cloth
http://www.protectall.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=2

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's a HUGE plethora of things you can do to help prevent/reduce swirl marks and other damaging effects to your paint. I suggest the forum autogeekonline.com for specifics.

For basics I'd make sure to do a 2 bucket wash system.

>1 bucket = water
>1 bucket = soapy water

Use your wash mitt in soapy bucket, wash car, then rinse in clean bucket, THEN soap up again in soapy bucket then wash car, repeat. This way you get most of the dirt off the mitt before putting it back into your soapy water, thereby helping to prevent rubbing the dirt your removing from the paint surface into the paint hurting it more.

If you can get something called a grit guard. It goes in the bottom of the bucket and looks like a grilly fan thing. Basically what it does is lets dirt settle below it and holds it in place so that it doesn't swish around in the bucket. :)

Other than that, start from the top and go to the bottom. Use multiple mitts if possible to avoid contaminating different regions (one for top half, one for lower half, etc). You're on the right track though with blow drying it!
+1 This^^, two buckets, grit guards, use nice high quality wash mitts (I like genuine sheep skin), and I personally prefer waffle weave towels to dry off at the end since they are more absorbent (in my experience) than regular microfiber towels. Keep the car really wet and get your mitts really wet and you shouldn't have a problem with swirls as long as you don't apply too much pressure and use 2 buckets/grit guard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts