Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello DA members im in some what of a desperate need for some spare keys I've been putting it off for some time now but I can't any more can some one please point me in the right direction I've looked it up and keep coming up with more questions than answers please and thank you

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dealer?? That is probably where I'd start.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go to the dealer but they want 180 for a key and I know some people have bought, cut and programmed their keys for less than 1100 and that's what I'm after

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I order the key, I know a lock smith can cut it for me

but can a lock smith actually program the key? Or is that something id have to go to the dealer for?

·
Registered
53 Posts
check craigslist or kijiji
for anyone in toronto - http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162578

i searched and searched and finally found a guy that does it. i didnt get the key programmed though(got it programmed at the dealer beforehand since i bought my first one online), so i dont know if he does that.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can program the key functions on the remote, but doesnt the dealer have to program the actual transponder for it to work on your car?

I was under the assumption that anyone could get the key cut, and that anyone could get the doors programmed, but for the actual key to work youd need the dealer to program the transponder?

And im talking about getting a brand new key, no transferring of internals. Brand new key

·
Put that cookie down! NOW
592 Posts
Dealer , to get the immobilizer to recognize the system, as far as I know. Though you may have programmed the car to lock and unlock , but when the Immobilizer is not programmed recognize the new key , it will not start at all. This consists of the Honda Immobilizer code and yadidadida , Honda Immobiler software yadidadida.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheap Key replacement, Under $20

I bought an uncut key from ebay, (Seller was "YourKeylessRemote") for about $20.
The key came with programming instructions, Easy to do for lock/unlock function.
I called around the local dealers and found one 2 miles from my house that would cut the key for free. The catch is that they charged $80 for programming start function.(This has to be done at the dealership with the Honda interface PC)
After I waited around for 10 min in the garage with no help a service tech asked me what I needed, I politely complained that I had been standing waiting and he had a shop guy do the programming for free.

I asked around at other dealers, prices for cutting/programing my $20 key ranged from $110 - $200. If I bought their key price would go up $50.

Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I asked around at other dealers, prices for cutting/programing my $20 key ranged from $110 - $200. If I bought their key price would go up $50.

Good luck.
Well, in that case I will just use the key manually from now on. It goes well with all the warning lights on my dash whose problems I also can't afford to get fixed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: I went and ordered 2 keys from the link that mobiless2 posted above and after receiving them and calling all local blacksmiths and getting quoted 260 to just program and cut the keys I decided to just call my local honda dealer and they told me since I already had the keys that it would only be 95 dollars for the Labor so for 2 keys cut and programmed I only spent 157 total

Keys 25x2=50

Shipping 13 dollars

Cut and programing labor 94 dollars

How did I do ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts