Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys! So like the title says, I’m looking for a good wheel cleaner and can’t seem to find anything good. I had a friend that I have since lost touch with, but he worked at an Acura dealer detailing cars. He let me come in a couple times and did my car. He used this stuff (it was purple or pink, can’t remember) that when he sprayed on my dirty ass wheels, the dirt just flew off. I was amazed, no scrubbing nothing. I believe it was an Ardex product, which I think cannot be bought by the general public.

Anyway, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on this or something similar that would be fantastic. I have tried basically everything on the pep boys shelves and I am never satisfied. I end up just cleaning the wheels by hand afterward. Let me know if anybody has that “secret” product I have been looking for……thanks. :)

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
Here's my go to product:

http://www.poorboysworld.com/spray-rinse.htm

I usually cut it 50% with water, full strength on only the worst wheels. I've used it about five years or so. Sometimes you still need the wheel brush but not often.

Here's another which is actually more versatile as it can used on practically anything:

http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html?gclid=CJv--P-4oaQCFYlY2godJUhT6A

This should be cut with water by 50% or so. It will clean tires, wheels, engines, wheel wells, lawn furniture.......the list is endless. I use it quite a bit where the Poorboy's product is more of a specialty wheel cleaner only.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my go to product:

http://www.poorboysworld.com/spray-rinse.htm

I usually cut it 50% with water, full strength on only the worst wheels. I've used it about five years or so. Sometimes you still need the wheel brush but not often.

Here's another which is actually more versatile as it can used on practically anything:

http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html?gclid=CJv--P-4oaQCFYlY2godJUhT6A

This should be cut with water by 50% or so. It will clean tires, wheels, engines, wheel wells, lawn furniture.......the list is endless. I use it quite a bit where the Poorboy's product is more of a specialty wheel cleaner only.
Thanks TEX, I had a feeling you would chime in with something good :thmsup:

·
13,917 Posts
For strictly cleaning wheels it's hard to beat Poorboys. If you want something almost as good on wheels but way better on everything else get the Roll Off. Autogeek has both and they price match. :wave:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For strictly cleaning wheels it's hard to beat Poorboys. If you want something almost as good on wheels but way better on everything else get the Roll Off. Autogeek has both and they price match. :wave:
Thanks….just ordered a gallon of the Poorboy :yes:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So “if” I went without cutting down the poorboy, would I be causing damage to the wheel or just wasting my hard earned money?

·
13,917 Posts
No damage. Put a small amount in a spray bottle and try it diluted 50% with water. If it doesn't cut the mustard then go full strength. It is pretty strong stuff so follow the directions and don't spray down more than two wheels at a time. Give each wheel some time to soak then hose it off with a strong stream of water.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the poorboy delivered the other day. It didn’t say anything about diluting, but I will definitely take your work for it. Didn’t have a chance to try it out yet, but will next weekend and post my results.

·
13,917 Posts
Dilution is my personal choice to make the product go a bit farther. If the wheels are really cruddy then use it straight up, apply and rinse twice if necessary.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I always start off with P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel -- clings because of the gel attribute to all the nooks ... I dilute it for sure...works just as well.

Poorboys is very comparable from my experience (only w/ samples).

·
Shift_ STILL Not A Honda
318 Posts
It's probably not what you want to hear, but in my experience, no one wheel cleaner has ever done a perfect job of getting the break dust off the wheel and leaving it glassy smooth. If thats the kind of "clean" you're looking for, then nothing will ever beat good ol' fashioned elbow grease and soap. I have black rims. They how every bit of dust and dirt possible. When I use those spray gel/foam cleaners, all they do is make a mess. I run my finger over the wheel after i'm done and my finger is still turning black from all the dirt still on the wheel.

If you want my personal advice. Get some Wash/Wax car wash soap and just find some old wash cloth around the house and give your wheels a good scrub! You'll probably be surprised how really much CLEANER they actually look after a good scrubbing. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It's probably not what you want to hear, but in my experience, no one wheel cleaner has ever done a perfect job of getting the break dust off the wheel and leaving it glassy smooth. If thats the kind of "clean" you're looking for, then nothing will ever beat good ol' fashioned elbow grease and soap. I have black rims. They how every bit of dust and dirt possible. When I use those spray gel/foam cleaners, all they do is make a mess. I run my finger over the wheel after i'm done and my finger is still turning black from all the dirt still on the wheel.

If you want my personal advice. Get some Wash/Wax car wash soap and just find some old wash cloth around the house and give your wheels a good scrub! You'll probably be surprised how really much CLEANER they actually look after a good scrubbing. Best of luck.

I thought the same until I tried P21S and let it do it's work for 4-5 minutes... I still use a MF to wipe them after spraying the P21S off, but considerable amounts of brake dust and dirt have been removed...and I'm left using little to almost no 'elbow grease' to get them slick as new. It makes short work of multi spoke design cleaning. I'm sure the Poorboys RTexasF referred to works in similar fashion--it's unfortunate that most people get left with a bad impression of 'wheel cleaners' from what you usually find in B&M retail stores w/ Eagle Wheel Cleaner, etc etc...usually no more than a QD (quick detailer) imho

Brake dust is very abrasive, any help I can get with removal of it before scrubbing (with Optimum Car Wash or just soap & water) I can get, especially at the amount P21S helps out-- I'll definitely use it, before applying a sealant to the rims.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have had good luck with Eagle 1 wheel cleaners.

Try this, do it in the shade & when the wheels are cool:
Blast the wheels with water
Spray the cleaner, let it sit for like 30 seconds or so
Scrub with a soft brush
Hose off
Dry wheels when drying the car (I use a seperate micro fiber towel for the wheels)

·
13,917 Posts
No one ever said the Poorboys wheel cleaner was perfect, is there actually such a product? It works well for me and, as I stated, a brush may be necessary on occasion .

There is no true spray & rinse product for all fouled wheels but this one comes pretty close.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Am I to assume that you guys pull the wheels to get the brake dust that has etched itself to the interior of the wheel off?

I had both vehicles detailed by a pro about 2-3 years ago and he had some type cleaner that left the wheels as clean as they were brand new...and I know he pulled the wheels off to clean the backsides..

I may have to pick up some P21S in the near future to get my wheels whipped back into shape...

·
13,917 Posts
I don't pull the wheels at all. There are bendable brushes that will get the barrels clean. Back when I detailed I charged $25 per wheel to remove, clean, and seal them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner (product #D10101) diluted from 4:1 to 8:1, depending on use, is the only cleaner you will need. Works on leather, carpet, engine, and wheels. Sold by the gallon for $14.49, and with these dilutions, lasts for a long, long time.

·
Bat-mobile
540 Posts
I use goo gone on my tires and man does that work really great for its price. I have only used the liquid form and not the gel but it breaks down all the dirty and you just wipe it off, also leaves a good shine :)

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey TEX, I tip my hat to you. I finally got to try out the poorboys wheel cleaner and simply amazing! I hadn’t washed my car or wheels in exactly a month (very rare for me) today I apply the poorboys, let sit for 3 minutes and sprayed off. Almost everything came off, I just had a few spots I rubbed off with my finger. Very very good stuff! Just wish I found this stuff 15 years ago! Cut my car washing down by at least 20 minutes!!!!!! This is nothing like anything you will find on the pep-boys shelf period!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts