Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the market for accord sport. I test drove an ex coupe before, loved it, but i drive a 2 door SUV now and will not go through not having 4 doors this time around. i decided to go with sedan, and figured a sport was the best bang for my buck and has the sport look. I then went to test drive a sport, loved the way it rode and loved the look inside and out (still pissed the sport doesn't come with sunroof, keyless/push start, and led mirror turn lights).

My friend purchased a 2010 TSX back in august, and it is one hell of a car with only 22k miles and a price of 23500 OTD. I've been riding with him and it has that premium feel and handling.

I am not about prestige, this is more of getting a great all around car with good gas mileage and some "fun" factor in driving it (again, i am coming from a 2001 blazer).

I've seen a handful of tsx's on sale used with low mileage. I've seen a TON of sport trims in my area of all colors for the picking.

I am a bit torn, still leaning towards the sport as it seems financially better, but I wanted to know your opinions as some of you came from acura tsxs before.
thanks.
I just want what you all think about

·
6 Speeds of fun
2 Posts
i was in the same boat myself. i went with a 14 black sport and managed to get it out the door for 21500 well worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello,

I am in the market for accord sport. I test drove an ex coupe before, loved it, but i drive a 2 door SUV now and will not go through not having 4 doors this time around. i decided to go with sedan, and figured a sport was the best bang for my buck and has the sport look. I then went to test drive a sport, loved the way it rode and loved the look inside and out (still pissed the sport doesn't come with sunroof, keyless/push start, and led mirror turn lights).

My friend purchased a 2010 TSX back in august, and it is one hell of a car with only 22k miles and a price of 23500 OTD. I've been riding with him and it has that premium feel and handling.

I am not about prestige, this is more of getting a great all around car with good gas mileage and some "fun" factor in driving it (again, i am coming from a 2001 blazer).

I've seen a handful of tsx's on sale used with low mileage. I've seen a TON of sport trims in my area of all colors for the picking.

I am a bit torn, still leaning towards the sport as it seems financially better, but I wanted to know your opinions as some of you came from acura tsxs before.
thanks.
I've never owned a TSX but I did test drive one three weeks ago before I bought my Accord. I would give a slight edge to the TSX in terms of handling (I think because of the double wishbone front suspension it has vs. the Accord's Macpherson front struts) but, other than that, I saw a lot more in the Accord that I liked:

1. More fuel efficient
2. Doesn't require premium fuel
3. Better technology (LaneWatch system, rear view camera, Lane Departure Warning, Bluetooth, Pandora, etc).
4. Much roomier inside (more rear leg room and just a more wide open feeling in the cabin). To me, the TSX felt cramped inside.
5. Slightly better crash test scores (in the new frontal offset crash test that IIHS is now doing the Accord scored "Good" but the TSX scored "Acceptable").

If you buy the TSX and keep it a long time this probably won't matter but the TSX and TL are going to be replaced in 2015 by a single model called the TLX. So, if you're the kind of person who only keeps a car for 5 years or so, this may be an issue when you go to sell it. Yes, someone will buy it, but I suspect a lot of people might not be so interested or they may try to give you a really low offer.

You will probably get some TSX owners to reply but here's an Acura forum you might want to visit as well:

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Good luck! :thmsup:

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
I'd rather have the EX-L Accord. More room, better technology. Plus its new so you know it wont have anything wrong with it, doesn't need premium, more fuel efficient, has a warranty and a newer body style.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a '11 TSX with Nav so I'll chime in with a few comments:
TSX:
Like said above, much better handling but "rougher ride"
I dislike the vague steering.
Excellent sound system :)
FAST nav/audio system
I find the TSX has way too many buttons on the console.
Accord:
For less price, you do get much more safety features. The TSX just has the "basics".
Back seat is much more comfortable and easier to get in/out.
SLOW nav/audio system

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I traded a '10 non-tech TSX for my '13 Accord EX-L. The radio display in my TSX was awful as was the HandsfreeLink vs. the new one. Mine had electrical issues (went through a battery and 3 door lock motors in 31k miles). The power is close to the same in the Accord too, but the CVT is more maddening than the TSX's conventional automatic. The Accord has better crash protection (offset anyway), and is much roomier inside.

$23,500 for a 2010 model isn't bad, but I traded my 2010 with 32k miles and got $18k for the car this past April. The premium fuel blew too, and the TSX runs like poop on regular fuel. Also, I had to have all 4 rotors turned within 30k as well on the TSX. The steering feel was also terrible, very wobbly feeling on the highway vs. the Accord.

I personally would go with the Sport or the EX over a used TSX. Good luck!

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Yes, people should remember that you will likely save close to $5 on each tank by filling it with 87 instead of 91/93. That would be like $25 per month, and $300 per year, if you fill up 5 times a month.

Also, like someone said, you would likely have a much shorter warranty period with a 2010 TSX. Doesn't Acura have 4/50,000 warranty?

I also imagine that Acura dealers would charge more for the same service/repair than would Honda ones.

As for resale value, I would imagine TSX would have an edge because it is an Acura, and because much of its depreciation has already occurred in the first few years of ownership.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
For what it's worth...I like my '13 Sport more than my '04 TL. Granted it wasn't brand new or low mileage like the TSX's being mentioned, but Acura still has its flaws like every other brand. I'm not sure how different the '10 TSX is from the 3rd Gen TL's, but I'm sure they're not too far off seeing how the TL is the nicer car.

Pro's to purchasing a 9th Gen. Accord:
- Brand new/Longer Warranty (you know EVERYTHING that has been done or not done to the car)
- If you get a v6 TSX, you'll need to do the TB service ($1000+ at 100k if you plan to keep it that long; could hurt resale if you sell around then)
- Lower Fuel Costs at the pump
- Better mileage

I would comment on other things, but that could begin to play in to 'a new vs. an older car. Not really fair to compare certain things.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Both are great cars. Win Win situation. Personally I don't buy used though, but that is just me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to drive an '06 tsx and I honestly loved that car. The handling on the tsx is really smooth IMO and overall, I really like the way it drove. Only reason I swapped it for a '13 V6 accord was because some girl backed up into my TSX, trying to leave her parking spot. -____-

However, I really like my accord and just about everything about it. Gas (full tank of premium is no joke), resale value, and maintenance were other factors why I got rid of my TSX.

Quite frankly, I think you'll be happy with either car and I would recommend both the accord and the tsx. Just my two cents :)

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Not sure what Acura used in the TSX either, but they made some TERRIBLE choices in the 3rd Gen TL's. I told myself I wouldn't ever buy another Acura after what everyone was having to go through at the fault of Acura (AT tranny failure, horrible dash cracking, navigation failure, etc)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Having moved from an Acura TL to Honda Accord I can say that the Acura parts and labor cost more and the Acura is more expensive to maintain than the Accord.

I miss my 05 TL less and less each day as I put miles on my 13 Accord EX.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello,

thanks.
I traded an 09 TSX Tech Package 6speed for my 14 Accord EX sedan. I bought my TSX the last week of August 2012 and the next week Honda puts out the new Accord I was sick and started to trade my TSX in that next week. But I waited awhile and too see if my desire to have the new accord would change but it never did so 13 months later I got my baby and traded my TSX. The Tsx was nice power is the same as the accord I4 handling seems the same to me because I kept my 18 inch A Spec wheels 235/45/18 tires from my TSX and put them on my accord.I had several problems with my TSX 2 major which both would've cost 800 dollars each to fix. Both are TSB items honda fought me on the Sunroof Metal around the glass rusting even though it fell within the years of warranty so I had to pay 145 of the 800 when you open the sunroof retract it al the way back and look around all the rubber edges if you see the rust get them to replace it before you buy it . The other major problem is the Vtech Actuator knocking during start up of your car when the outside temperature drop below 32 degrees. Honda wouldn't pay even though they had a TSB on that one. My car warranty with the dealer where I bought my car paid for it. So if you do buy a TSX make sure that it's still under the factory warranty and that those 2 TSB items ar addressed because if they aren't it could cost you 1600 dollars which almost soured me on my car purchase of the TSX Also take into consideration that honda will no longer make the TSX after 2014 which will kill your trade in value.Take your time and choose wisely if you have any other questions about the TSX hit me up. I forgot also that theTSX is smaller and my 09 didn't have rear AC/Heating vents like my EX does I guess I like the accord because its the same size as my 04 acura TL minus the leather I hate leather but I love my 04 NAVI TL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I HATED my 04 navi TL lol.
I probably would hate my TL NAVI if I would have had the transmission problems that it seems about 50 percent of the owners had. I never any problems with mine had I have 106k on mines and it stills pulls great with no slipping ever. And I just drove it out of state last weekend. :)

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Don't jinx yourself lol. Mine went at 108,xxx I believe. Needed a complete rebuild. Not cheap. Especially when you hear how mine went. I'm on my phone so I'll type it up later lol

Then dash decided to crack.. And continued cracking horribly. Then all my motor mounts were completely busted at 112k. Navigation failed due to Acura putting the housing in the trunk and not secure enough so it scratches the disc. At $100+ for a disc... Not cool. The list goes on and on. I can understand some smaller things that happen on a high mileage car, but Acura is at fault for the AT tranny's, dash cracking, nav failure and a few others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought about my cars tranny dying because I'm well into the mileage failure range. That why it was hard for me to decide whether or not to trade my TSX and get me an accord. Or keep my TSX and trade my TL and get an MDX. I think that I will keep it even if my tranny dies I've checked around and it will be about 2500 to get a rebuilt one put in. I've never had the scratched Navi disc problem and I have a 1500 watt 12inch sub in my trunk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts