Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my 15 year old blazer is about to die and I have been entertaining car shopping the past 2 years but nothing has really wowed me. Knowing that, I know that there is always going to be compromise...

My current choices are Honda Accord Ex-l sedan, Honda Accord ex coupe, Acura TSX, or the new Chevy Malibu (unfortunately not due until Q4 this year, really want a new ride for summer).

My top two are the accord ex-l sedan and acura tsx. Both will be used because that falls into my price range. I have driven both (a long time ago) and already forge the handling. I did enjoy the smaller build of the tsx and all the features despite the lack of and dated tech.

I am leaning towards the ex-l because its practical, nice tech, regular fuel, and I feel it will be enough power for me (I am driving a chevy blazer now that has 190 hp v6). I just need some peppy riding thats all so won't be considering an accord v6. It does scream family sedan but I feel if I can find some sport wheels to put on it will help the look a little bit.

The accord coupe is great, but the side profile bothers me, it looks bulbous with that sloping back roof line. Other than that the coupe is a great choice (I dont have kids and dont plan on having any for the next 5 years), but do like having some storage and practicality.

The new malibu is beautiful, but will be costly as its new and I don't really feel like waiting.

I know this is an odd cross shop, but what do you all think?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Do you mean Acura TLX? The TSX and TL were replaced with the TLX. The TSX is no longer on sale as a new car. Even if it were, I think I'd still lean towards the Accord. Don't think I'd even give the Malibu a look. I know GM has improved their cars tremendously in recent years, but I like the prospect of the long-term experience and it's still hard to beat Honda there. But you really need to go do some driving and decide what you like best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually did mean the tsx, not the tlx. tlx would be put of my price range. I love everything about the car minus the dated tech. I can see myself not missing it but if I plan to keep this car for 5+ years then it might be a stretch for my tastes. The ex-l sedan would offer everything, but its a bigger car and might not be as fun to drive as the tsx is.

·
Registered
583 Posts
As far as a coupe goes, do you really want 'that space back there' that getting into requires shoving a passenger seat forward and crawling into and out of? Do you want the longer side doors of a coupe which make getting in and out of the car a little harder? How about the lower to the ground seats which also make getting in and out a little tougher?
You want want a firmer ride and last time I looked, narrower seat cushions in the bucket seats?
Did I mention smaller back seats of coupe also?

Smart entry on Accord EX / L is very nice to have, especially on the trunk. Without that, minor drag to have to reach into the pocket, fumble for the key and the fob button to pop the trunk instead of just reaching for the sensor, pop goes the trunk in Smart entry. Push button start too. Lane Watch is Very useful also.

Not sure, but I don't think Smart entry and push button start could be had on the now gone TSX.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
Some folks like the coupes and don't mind. Yes, a sedan is preferable if you've got 4 adults frequently getting into and out of the car and carrying a bunch of stuff. I tend to avoid those situations like the plague, so having a coupe doesn't bother me at all. Smart entry is a new thing.... have never in my life been able to open a trunk or a door without using the key fob or (OMG the horror!) actually putting a key in a lock. I suppose it would be nice to have, but not necessary... and for someone who's being budget conscious and looking at the used market, not likely to be found.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Without having driven a TSX (those never did anything for me quite honestly - the styling is more bland than the Accord) I would lean towards the EX-L. Your cost to maintain will be cheaper and I doubt the TSX is *that* much more fun to drive. Plus the EX-L should have better tech given the age of the design of the TSX.

·
No PRND
749 Posts
Acura messed up with the 2nd gen TSX, the Accord is the better car.

The TSX will handle better but some simple sway bar upgrades and/or tires on the Accord will do the trick. The extra fuel costs on the TSX with Premium fuel and the dated tech (like you mentioned) are also downers. Also, be aware that a used Accord may not be your best option. You can get such a good deal on a new one (especially with mid model refresh about to be released) that it may be worth the little bit of extra money to get a new one.

If you are considering other cars, it would probably be a good idea to test drive the Mazda 6. And the Camry if the thought of a reliable Oldsmobile gets your juices flowing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Acuras are just blah anymore. They're nice but there isn't really anything that exciting about them to justify the cost. I still don't understand the ILX. Who would pay that for a glorified civic?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought the ILX was the new TSX. I'd pony up for a new Lexus instead.
The ILX replaces the CSX that we had here in Canada. Basically, the CSX was just a fancier Civic. The ILX is now very different from the Civic, so they brought it to the US market. The TLX replaces both the TL and the TSX.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not sure where you got that number, but according to the Acura website, it has 201 hp.
Touché. Went and looked up the 2014 ILX, which is what I remember reading. That's listed at 150 per edmunds. Obviously a bit off of 115 but even that's dumb for a $27k car, especially when a base accord has 185.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Touché. Went and looked up the 2014 ILX, which is what I remember reading. That's listed at 150 per edmunds. Obviously a bit off of 115 but even that's dumb for a $27k car, especially when a base accord has 185.
Agreed, but with current HP numbers I would get the 2015 base ILX over the 2015 base Accord.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Agreed, but with current HP numbers I would get the 2015 base ILX over the 2015 base Accord.
Isn't it smaller than the accord, though? I can't see spending $5k more for a smaller car. Obviously, once you go up a trim level or two to match features more closely the price difference isn't much but it's still a smaller car. No sense in that to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Isn't it smaller than the accord, though? I can't see spending $5k more for a smaller car. Obviously, once you go up a trim level or two to match features more closely the price difference isn't much but it's still a smaller car. No sense in that to me.
My mistake. I was looking at the price for the base Hybrid Accord. I'm right there with you. For the money the base 4-cyl Accord is the way to go over the base ILX.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you for all the replies. As for the acura ilx argument, 13-15 models are glorified civics. The 2016 one did catch my eye with better hp and more tech, but I cannot afford one.

The TSX is the best looking out of all my choices (accord sedan/coupe and malibu). It is just dated, premium fuel, ect. Accord sedan is my best option, but it is so BLAND. I can add a deck/roof spoiler and maybe find some used sport wheels to help the look but that pisses me off I have to do that.

The accord coupe is my other best option, but the side profile kind of bothers me. I don't need a sedan (no kids, barely have passengers in car) but the practicality is nice.

In the end there is no perfect car, but I need to figure out the right compromises to make. Someone mentioned mazda but I am not sure about the reliability. Girlfriend has the new camry and it is nice but not for me. Did not like Hyundai or Kia sedans either.

I suck at making decisions, but thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
thank you for all the replies. As for the acura ilx argument, 13-15 models are glorified civics. The 2016 one did catch my eye with better hp and more tech, but I cannot afford one.

The TSX is the best looking out of all my choices (accord sedan/coupe and malibu). It is just dated, premium fuel, ect. Accord sedan is my best option, but it is so BLAND. I can add a deck/roof spoiler and maybe find some used sport wheels to help the look but that pisses me off I have to do that.

The accord coupe is my other best option, but the side profile kind of bothers me. I don't need a sedan (no kids, barely have passengers in car) but the practicality is nice.

In the end there is no perfect car, but I need to figure out the right compromises to make. Someone mentioned mazda but I am not sure about the reliability. Girlfriend has the new camry and it is nice but not for me. Did not like Hyundai or Kia sedans either.

I suck at making decisions, but thank you all for the input.
Mazda is a whole 'nother ballgame of a company: Much smaller dealers spaced far apart. Go in to find one, maybe two service advisors.

A Mazda will also Very Likely give you much more headaches getting to 200k miles. I've never heard a mechanic say, oh yeah, Mazda's are bulletproof and last really long. I do not think Mazda design and parts are close to Honda and Toyota quality for non-luxury cars, but if you want the car that DRIVES much better (than Toyota), go Honda any day. I luckily got about 300 miles in a '14 EX-L sedan rental and Car and Driver's reviews ring true. Accord is a very nice to drive family car.

I hear you about the EX wheels. I find the evenly spaced 10 spokers a little bit bland. I prefer split 5 pattern. The Accord Hybrid wheels are pretty frisky. Sports are nice wheels, but I'd prefer 17's on Accord.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
So if the choices are Acura TSX 2nd Gen and probably a 8th Gen EX-l or maybe a 9th gen, I would choose the 2nd Gen TSX. I am a little biased as I own a first gen TSX and a 2013 EX-l. The TSX is only a 4dr or possibly a wagon. The seats are more comfortable, comes standard with HID's, better sound system, Home link included, a nicer interior and smaller inside and outside than the Accord. The Accord EX-l is rated higher mileage than the TSX, and the Accord is cheaper to insure and cheaper to buy, maintenance will be the same . Get the Acura TSX, either as a Base model or with the tech package. You can pick up a 2011 with 40k miles with a tech package for slightly under 20k. A base model TSX is obviously cheaper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts