Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you doing to safe guard your car?

Just this past Friday caught this kid on camera doing the walk pass pull the door handle crap to my car!
I should've called the cops and gave a description of the knuckleheads but me assuming because it's a Friday night they have better things to do and it would've been awhile before someone came out.

Should've just called anyway. Once I got dressed I rode around myself but didn't see them.

Went to the police station the next day showed them the video. All they did was say next time call us and we'll come out.

Wish it was something to put on the door handles to make them never want to try that crap again! If they do get in some kind of bear spray is dispensed. Or via an app if the car is stolen you can remotely shut it down!

These kids think because they're wearing a hoodie and a mask they can get away with anything! With cameras all over the place eventually you will be caught!!

It's out of hand and beyond ridiculous!!

· Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
194 Posts
Most thieves work on the principle of least effort. They check if you're a mark, and move on if you're not.

If you avoid the obvious things, like parking in dark and sketchy places, leaving valuables in plain sight, etc. that's a good start. Adding a flood light, outdoor camera, etc. at home is another step up. If you have a catalytic converter theft problem in your neighborhood, put on an anti-theft shield.

But here the kid just grabbed your door handle, so relax. Even if you caught him, what do you want to do, charge him with touching and sentence him to sit in the corner of his room?

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Registered
20 Posts
The truth is police won’t do anything even if the thief is shown in plain sight wearing nothing but undies. Always lock your doors (and glovebox!) and never leave any valuables in there.

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes auto door locking.
Kid and his buddy was looking to steal it not just break in, the clown actually had white gloves on!
By reporting it possibly getting them caught and preventing someone else car being broken into or stolen.

· Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
194 Posts
You're way too wound up... And you haven't explained how you know he was going to steal it. Did he have the sophisticated electronics needed to get past the immobilizer in plain sight?

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Don't the 2020's have walk-away locking?
I think only the models with the full keyless access have walk away auto locking. LX and Sport 1.5t models don't have it. The original poster says that they have a 2020 Touring, which does have that feature though.

Often thieves don't necessarily want to steal the car. They go from car-to-car looking for unlocked vehicles. When they find one, they spend a few minutes digging around to try and find anything of value. They are gone before most people even realize they are there... and certainly before the police have a chance to arrive.

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,195 Posts
I can hear all the thieves reading this thread knowing exactly what security measures they're up against... :)

· More cars, more problems
484 Posts
What are you doing to safe guard your car?
Car thefts are rare where I'm at (thankfully) but I usually park it up against the garage with the Fiesta behind it so there's no way out. Other than that, there's nothing stopping anyone determined enough to get inside it.

The truth is police won’t do anything even if the thief is shown in plain sight wearing nothing but undies.
Yeah, contacting the police is worthless unless you have to get a report to make a claim on insurance.

· Registered
62 Posts
Most thieves work on the principle of least effort.
^^This, though in my case it's not necessarily thieves.

I live on a dead end road. The farm is 250 acres and we're surrounded three sides by a lake. We are essentially, on a peninsula. There is some public land around us (TVA....Tennessee Valley Authority) actually owns the "beachfront" so that strip of land between the water and our border is public (used to belong to the farm by the way, prior to TVA taking it decades ago)

None the less....this public strip of land is in some areas, 50' wide and maybe in others, 500 feet (wild guess). They allow public hunting on TVA land (as opposed to hunting of the public HA!)

We get trespassers here, poachers...some moron shot two of my dogs on Christmas eve a number of years ago and that was it. Time for me to fight back.

The road is roughly 12' wide and is a 2-way road. Used to be gravel, then chip/tar, now paved. SMALL road. These morons park anywhere/everywhere. One year, I could literally, barely drive my Miata between the trucks down OUR driveway, just to get to the road to work. There were about 12 trucks parked at our dock.

Enough... Spoke with TWRA, TVA, Sheriff blah blah..... I got permission to lay some large bolders in some problem areas (I own a full sized backhoe/loader).

I dropped a rock. They moved it. I put it back...moved again. I put it back, added another rock....they moved them both. I put them back, ticked off and put FIVE more rocks there.

Problem solved. There is WAY more to the story but the bottom line is they're very lazy and literally want to drive to their blind to hunt (TVA doesn't want them driving on their property so they constipate the small road)

Now that they have to move several rocks instead of 1,2,3.... it's too much work for them. Guess what? They FINALLY now go down the road and use the public parking lot that was specifically put into place for them to use (by TVA). Some still crybaby that they don't want to walk the 1/2 mile to get to their hunting spot.

I have little concern/patience/sympathy for them. You should see the boulders I put by the "driveway" where someone shot my dogs. Nobody is ever driving in there again until I'm dead/gone and someone with big equipment moves them.

So these/your thieves would be similar.... they want the easy target. Make it difficult for them and you improve your situation!

· Registered
3,106 Posts
There's even more to this kind of story... Read "Hackers vs Auto Industry" (posted 1-3-23)

During investigations they found these vulnerabilities for Kia, Honda, Infiniti, Nissan, Acura that are accessible through each company's mobile app:
  • Fully remote lock, unlock, engine start, engine stop, precision locate, flash headlights, and honk vehicles using only the VIN number
  • Fully remote account takeover and PII disclosure via VIN number (name, phone number, email address, physical address)
  • Ability to lock users out of remotely managing their vehicle, change ownership
  • For Kia’s specifically, we could remotely access the 360-view camera and view live images from the car
Lots of issues for many other car manufacturers are also discussed at that link. For many of them, all hackers need to access your car via the app is its VIN, which is visible on the dash through the windshield.

Wonder if it's legal to tape over the VIN, at least until these companies fix their security problems..??

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're way too wound up... And you haven't explained how you know he was going to steal it. Did he have the sophisticated electronics needed to get past the immobilizer in plain sight?
I work hard for what I have and don't like knuckleheads disturbing my peace!

Here in Philly kids/teens/adults are stealing cars to commit other crimes like drive by's etc!
1200 thefts & carjackings in 2022!! Now that is totally out of control!

Where I park no vehicles are in front of me so their thinking is that they can just jump in and take off.
But yea some of these kids are so dumb they don't know about bypassing the electronics!

It was a video over the summer these teens tried to steal a Malibu but didn't know how to put it in gear being that it wasn't a conventional gear shifter.

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
106 Posts
There's even more to this kind of story... Read "Hackers vs Auto Industry" (posted 1-3-23)

During investigations they found these vulnerabilities for Kia, Honda, Infiniti, Nissan, Acura that are accessible through each company's mobile app:
  • Fully remote lock, unlock, engine start, engine stop, precision locate, flash headlights, and honk vehicles using only the VIN number
  • Fully remote account takeover and PII disclosure via VIN number (name, phone number, email address, physical address)
  • Ability to lock users out of remotely managing their vehicle, change ownership
  • For Kia’s specifically, we could remotely access the 360-view camera and view live images from the car
Lots of issues for many other car manufacturers are also discussed at that link. For many of them, all hackers need to access your car via the app is its VIN, which is visible on the dash through the windshield.

Wonder if it's legal to tape over the VIN, at least until these companies fix their security problems..??
Which Honda App?

· Registered
37 Posts
I live in a NYC suburb and we have had problems with thieves going around in the middle of the night and trying to open cars. Some cars got stolen, some had their Catalytic converters stolen. We even had someone get their car stolen while at a gas station. The majority of these incidents are people trying to open cars.

If you park your car outside and near your home, I'd recommend getting an RFID blocking case to put your key fob in. There are stories of thieves using devices to amplify the fob signal to unlock the car and possibly start it.

Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do unless you have access to a locked garage.

Camera's are nice but unless you are notified immediately, its not going to help much. In my area, people frequently post their camera video's showing thieves going through their cars. The faces are never that clear because its at night. Even if the photo is crystal clear, don't expect the police to go on a manhunt.

If you are lucky the camera would get the plate number of the thieves car (and the car actually belongs to the thief).

· VCM DELETE
1,160 Posts
This is why I love having a big 500Sq. Ft. Garage. You put the door down and dont worry about anything, cars are nice and safe.. Nothing can beat the saftey of a garage. Its even better if attached to house. I got so many cameras and Police response time here is fast. Firearms are always a last resort, but I make sure there ready if needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts