Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2018 Accord Touring 2.0T but am irritated by not having the posted speed limit show in the navigation display. The traffic sign recognition capability is helpful but is useless during snow or other poor visibility events.

The navigation manual has a picture with the speed limit displayed in the lower left side. My understanding is that this is a map layer which displays the info if it is available.

Just made a 2,000 mile trip and it never displayed. The tech at the Honda dealer says it is a Garmin software problem; Garmin tech says it is a Honda hardware problem.

Do others have this issue? Any thoughts? Could there be a traffic sign recognition override?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 2018 Accord Touring 2.0T but am irritated by not having the posted speed limit show in the navigation display. The traffic sign recognition capability is helpful but is useless during snow or other poor visibility events.

The navigation manual has a picture with the speed limit displayed in the lower left side. My understanding is that this is a map layer which displays the info if it is available.

Just made a 2,000 mile trip and it never displayed. The tech at the Honda dealer says it is a Garmin software problem; Garmin tech says it is a Honda hardware problem.

Do others have this issue? Any thoughts? Could there be a traffic sign recognition override?

That's funny you mentioned this. We have the same Accord that we purchased on December 30th. Last weekend, we test drove one of the '17 Pilot Elites they had discounted on their lot and noticed it displayed the speed on the map like you're talking about and we went on and on about how we wished our Accord would do that.

So, it sounds like Honda and Garmin are telling you it should, but it's the other's problem? I'd love to see a fix to this for the very reasons you're stating! I'll have to ask our service manager tomorrow if he knows anything about this or who might.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I posted about it. I contacted Honda, they were unaware of the issue. I'll contact them again. Yesterday mine displayed the speed limit was 100mph! It was 65.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One advantage no one seems to have mentioned about the traffic sign recognition is its usefulness in construction zones. Live traffic seems to not register new speed limits in those zones. However, TSR can.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am confused on where you are not seeing it displayed. HUD? Cluster screen? Main infotainment screen?
Mine is working just fine on the HUD and cluster. .pics are blurry because I had a finger smudge on my phone lense so sorry about that, but the sign recognition is working fine with NAV.
Is there a setting that you should have enabled?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am confused on where you are not seeing it displayed. HUD? Cluster screen? Main infotainment screen?
Mine is working just fine on the HUD and cluster. .pics are blurry because I had a finger smudge on my phone lense so sorry about that, but the sign recognition is working fine with NAV.
Is there a setting that you should have enabled?

They're talking about on the Infotainment screen on the navigation/map. When driving the Pilot, it posts the speed limit on the map not from recognition, but from Garmin giving that information. Maybe we don't get that because we get recognition, but I understand the want for it for weather reasons as others have pointed out, or because sometimes mine "recognizes" the speed as something completely different and at one point on my drive home every day, it seems to think it sees a sign for 75MPH when 1- there isn't a speed limit sign there at all, and 2- the speed limit is 45 (but again, there's no sign where it "sees" a 75MPH sign. Anyway, back to the question- they're talking about on the Infotainment screen when you have the Map open.

·
Registered
239 Posts
They're talking about on the Infotainment screen on the navigation/map. When driving the Pilot, it posts the speed limit on the map not from recognition, but from Garmin giving that information. Maybe we don't get that because we get recognition, but I understand the want for it for weather reasons as others have pointed out, or because sometimes mine "recognizes" the speed as something completely different and at one point on my drive home every day, it seems to think it sees a sign for 75MPH when 1- there isn't a speed limit sign there at all, and 2- the speed limit is 45 (but again, there's no sign where it "sees" a 75MPH sign. Anyway, back to the question- they're talking about on the Infotainment screen when you have the Map open.
Thank you makes sense then.

·
2018 Accord EX MSM
46 Posts
Picked our 2018 Accord EX up Saturday. Son has his learner's permit right now. I've had him driving it for the practice.
He likes the sign showing up in the HUD area as he usually is asking me "What's the speed limit here? How about here?" Since we go from 55 1/4 mile from our house to 40mph to 35mph to 25mph to 60mph and all around....all within 5-10 minutes, depending on which streets/exits.

We're in a 35MPH zone on Sunday, going back to the dealer so he can give my son the car's rundown, and my son laughs and says "Hey dad! It's 100MPH on this road! LOL".
I'm thinking he is trying to be funny and just glare at my young driver.

He says "look at the display". It DID have a speed sign with 100MPH in it!!! WTH?!?!?!?!

Big fail! I'm sure a cop would accept that if pulled over (before it saw another sign and changed).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Picked our 2018 Accord EX up Saturday. Son has his learner's permit right now. I've had him driving it for the practice.
He likes the sign showing up in the HUD area as he usually is asking me "What's the speed limit here? How about here?" Since we go from 55 1/4 mile from our house to 40mph to 35mph to 25mph to 60mph and all around....all within 5-10 minutes, depending on which streets/exits.

We're in a 35MPH zone on Sunday, going back to the dealer so he can give my son the car's rundown, and my son laughs and says "Hey dad! It's 100MPH on this road! LOL".
I'm thinking he is trying to be funny and just glare at my young driver.

He says "look at the display". It DID have a speed sign with 100MPH in it!!! WTH?!?!?!?!

Big fail! I'm sure a cop would accept that if pulled over (before it saw another sign and changed).
EX doesnt have HUD. are you sure you got EX and not the touring?

·
2018 Accord EX MSM
46 Posts
EX doesnt have HUD. are you sure you got EX and not the touring?
Ok, not "HUD" per se, but the area in front of the steering wheel....what would you call that (I honestly don't know...the Accord is more his than mine and I drive my RL)

The sign shows up in the center of that area....to the right is speed and fuel. To the left is whatever you set with the scrolly wheel (yeah, I am "technical" on this new car :devil )

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok, not "HUD" per se, but the area in front of the steering wheel....what would you call that (I honestly don't know...the Accord is more his than mine and I drive my RL)

The sign shows up in the center of that area....to the right is speed and fuel. To the left is whatever you set with the scrolly wheel (yeah, I am "technical" on this new car :devil )
ohk that makes sense. i thought you are talking about Heads Up Display which only comes in touring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update that a speed limit sign did briefly (~10 seconds) appear on my navigation display today after stopping at a gas station. It disappeared after I passed a speed limit sign and the TSR worked. Related?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Speed Limit Sign Detection Fun - HUD displays 100 mph

The other day I looked at the HUD and it said I had plenty of headroom before the speed limit. I had just merged onto the freeway, where the limit was 65mph, and the HUD said I was doing 68 with a limit of 100! I thought about really opening it up, but didn't. Not sure how or why it mistook 65 to be 100.

Any other good mistakes folks have run into?

Glenn

1 - 20 of 92 Posts