Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still on the fence if I should invest in the CAI or Short Ram for my EX-L V6. I'm not seeing very much in the way of gains in the posts I've read. The Short Ram seems like it wouldn't improve performance at all (sucking in warm arm), but the CAI may be worth it but I was wondering if it really 'feels' faster or people are just getting it for the more aggressive sounds it makes.

·
PLATINUM PLAYER
82 Posts
Mostly sound and a little better throttle response...if you have a manual

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is Auto w/ paddle shifters. Seems like a large V6 would be starving for air, but I don't know about these modern cars if they are already so efficient it doesn't make a difference anymore (unlike the Hondas of the 90s).

·
Registered
101 Posts
If there is any car an aftermarket intake can make a difference, its the V6 accord. The intake path starts behind the radiator support, than goes down through a resonator under the bumper, than back up through the air box and into the throttle body. Along the way there are who knows how many air mufflers and other path inefficiencies. Removing all of these and getting air into the intake more efficiently should make a major improvement. I bet the path is over 6 feet long from the opening of the intake to the throttle body.

I installed the Takeda SRI and it screams! The noise comes from more air moving. More air moving theoretically has to mean more power. Can one actually feel 10-15 hp? Not sure, but I would say I think I can, especially at the upper RPM's.

For instance, on a 350Z, there is an opening to the air box in the radiator support, the airbox holds the filters straight up and down, then goes to a relatively straight tube into the throttle body. Its a pretty effecient design as it is. No intake mufflers or other pathway obstructions.

Remember, engines are giant air pumps esentially. Making them more effecient at moving air in and out produces more power.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Takeda short ram. SRI throttle response > CAI top end power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But does the Takeda really make "to 17HP and 15lbs.lb ft"? That sounds really high and unreal; anyone verify this? The CAI claims juust about 6 hp increase.

·
Enjoying Life!!!
55 Posts
I highly doubt the claims of the Takeda since as posted it sucks warm air. You'll always want cold air over warm. That's why I went with the Injen CAI.

·
Registered
101 Posts
But does the Takeda really make "to 17HP and 15lbs.lb ft"? That sounds really high and unreal; anyone verify this? The CAI claims juust about 6 hp increase.
I would not doubt it. The intake for the Accord is extremely restrictive. Like I mentioned, consider the path the air has to take before it even reaches the throttle body.

On other cars with this similar engine in other Honda and Acura products, gains of 10+ are not abnormal with intakes.

I did some 1/8m runs before I installed the intake. When I get a chance, I will go back to see if there has been any improvement in my times at the same track.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
The sri does suck in hotter air, but the pathway is more direct, the cai is quite restrictive due to all the bends in the piping. Many people have dynoed the sri, the results are actually fairly true to claims.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, is there a heat shield that comes with the Takeda?

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
17 sounds a few HP too high, but they did not specify that it was wheel horsepower. A few members have dyno'd intakes for +10hp. Figure in a 20% drivetrain loss (which is pretty high I believe) you have 13.6HP. Given the right conditions like a nice cold night, it may be possible. Of course they are going to try and sell you on any little inflated number that they can.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts

Yes, that's mine. Yes, it sounds delicious. Yes, it's faster. And yes, the throttle response, especially in sport mode, has to be good for a tenth or two just by itself.

Bear in mind in this video that my 20-80 time matches that of a V6 Mustang, and that was rolling from SECOND gear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fax8tto9Vmo

Yes, that's mine. Yes, it sounds delicious. Yes, it's faster. And yes, the throttle response, especially in sport mode, has to be good for a tenth or two just by itself.

Bear in mind in this video that my 20-80 time matches that of a V6 Mustang, and that was rolling from SECOND gear.
V6 Mustangs are sloths. On my last trip to the 1/8 strip, there were two 2013 mustangs there, one with an auto (which is a super slush box) and one with a manual. Both had at least intake and exhausts (maybe more, thats what I could see). My BONE STOCK auto accord was even with them or maybe even 1/10 of a second quicker. I went up against the Auto and beat him. Those two guys went at each other multiple times and were dead even.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scarlet is your car manual? How does the Accord V6 compare with a V6 Mustang BTW? Its seems like they are pretty similar being that are cars get 0-60 in the 5s and a 1/4 mile in the 13s (can't believe an accord is putting out these numbers).

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
It's a sedan (auto). Used the Mustang as reference only. Next year I'm going to do a quarter mile and dyno

·
Registered
113 Posts
Performance wise I've only done the Takeda SRI and the Takeda Axle back, and as far as the butt dyno goes, there is a definite improvement.

Also, obviously, it sounds much much better.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
I was on the fence about which one to get, but after that video I love the sound of your car!!!:banana:
Well my friend your vid convinced me I want that exhaust

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well my friend your vid convinced me I want that exhaust
Do it! The v6 accord sounds so awesome. Both induction and exhaust notes. Wish I'd just manned up and got the coupe 6-6 :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts