Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I prefer short ram for the flood rains here. I would hate to have a cold air and drive through a road and have my intake auck water in engine.
exactly ^^

short ram does have a slight throatier sound, and costs less

·
Registered
419 Posts
Short rams tend to have heat soak and make less HP.

·
Rocco
266 Posts
Backwards, true cai's def have a better sound then short rams...and way less heat soak.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Backwards, true cai's def have a better sound then short rams...and way less heat soak.

Usually a short ram intake would be louder, since the pipe is shorter in length and closer to the throttle body. A cold air intake isn't much quieter, but might sound a little less deep due to the air traveling a farther distance in the pipe and the pipe almost acting as a resonator.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Short rams tend to have heat soak and make less HP.
For i4, if short ram was avail., would it be better if the front air scoop is left on and the duct that goes to the stock intake box be left on but remove the top part to put short ram intake? So some cold air travel to the short ram?

·
Rocco
266 Posts

Usually a short ram intake would be louder, since the pipe is shorter in length and closer to the throttle body. A cold air intake isn't much quieter, but might sound a little less deep due to the air traveling a farther distance in the pipe and the pipe almost acting as a resonator.
Sounds right on paper...don't quote me but I think the louder sound is actually due to the longer mental pipe, allowing more of an "echo" effect.

My g35 coupe initially had a short ram, which sounded good for sure, but when I switched to a true I ken CAI it sounded like a god damn lion was under my hood...and I got back that loss of torque I would feel if the car got to hot...

·
Registered
419 Posts
For i4, if short ram was avail., would it be better if the front air scoop is left on and the duct that goes to the stock intake box be left on but remove the top part to put short ram intake? So some cold air travel to the short ram?
Agree, for the I4 it would be nice to pair up a SRI with a scoop. Not sure if the V6 crowd has the luxury of doing that.

True, they are in the engine bay as opposed to the cold air version; however, this "extra" horsepower is doubtfully anything you will actually feel.
:yes:

·
9th Gen Coupe
961 Posts
The V6 could utilize the scoop, but would need the filter to lay behind the headlight housing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts