Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I heard the new injen intakes have annoying resonance at around 4500 rpm. Any that currently have this installed find a similar problem? Anyone recommend waiting for the K&N?
absolutely not true. the only time you hear the thing at all is when you hammer down on the gas, and even better, when VTEC kicks in after 5K RPM. you will not regret buying this. trust me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Banned
532 Posts

For those of you perennially undecided about whether to go with a cold-air intake or a ram/hot air intake. Here is you answer quoting directly from the article:

It's a well known fact that cooler, denser air contains more oxygen, and more oxygen in your engine's air intake charge means better combustion and more power. Hot air contains fewer oxygen molecules, and if your engine is fed hot air there will be less oxygen and therefore less power. Yet that's exactly what your engine gets with the factory air intake system! The solution to this problem is to install an Injen SP Series Cold Air Intake System.

Injen starts the power improvement process by positioning an Injen EA Nanofiber dry air filter behind the front bumper. Here, this free-flowing filter can take in the coolest air possible and funnel it through smooth, mandrel-bent 6061 aluminum alloy tubing.

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

· '13 Accord
57 Posts
I heard the new injen intakes have annoying resonance at around 4500 rpm. Any that currently have this installed find a similar problem? Anyone recommend waiting for the K&N?
It gets pretty loud at 4500... I love it but sometimes I wonder if I'll get annoyed in the long run. I went with black and it looks great under the hood.

· Registered
180 Posts
For those of you perennially undecided about whether to go with a cold-air intake or a ram/hot air intake. Here is you answer quoting directly from the article:

It's a well known fact that cooler, denser air contains more oxygen, and more oxygen in your engine's air intake charge means better combustion and more power. Hot air contains fewer oxygen molecules, and if your engine is fed hot air there will be less oxygen and therefore less power. Yet that's exactly what your engine gets with the factory air intake system! The solution to this problem is to install an Injen SP Series Cold Air Intake System.

Injen starts the power improvement process by positioning an Injen EA Nanofiber dry air filter behind the front bumper. Here, this free-flowing filter can take in the coolest air possible and funnel it through smooth, mandrel-bent 6061 aluminum alloy tubing.
I thought the V6 factory intake system was a cold-air style. Am I wrong here?

· Registered
10 Posts
I've been running an Injen Pro Series CAI for about 2 years now and I love it. I get a lot of compliments from the guys at work about how my car sounds when I hammer on the throttle and I love hearing VTEC kick in. There's a noticeable improvement in mid range power and throttle response. Nothing that will blow you away, but it's there. I'm going to try wrapping the aluminium tube in ceramic fiber header tape to see if that offers any improvement, since that big aluminium tube acts like a giant heat sink. I would definitely recommend it. Install is super easy. Yes, you have to remove the front bumper cover. It's not that hard. I'm impressed with the little plastic body clips that Honda is using now. They're a lot easier not to destroy. I actually had a lot harder time installing Injen's Pro Series on my '08 civic, but that was still reasonably simple.

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
An intake to me is an awesome noise maker. Yes, it might make less/more power, but is sounds too damn good to leave off, especially on the V6.

If you're buying the intake for more power, I'd look at other mods first.

· Registered
352 Posts
I thought the V6 factory intake system was a cold-air style. Am I wrong here?
Glad you brought this up - I was looking at this the other day and that's what it seemed to me (that it was bringing-in fresh air)

Attachments

· Registered
133 Posts
I know many say that CAI doesn't do anything over a OE intake butt... My ass says differently. Before, cruising in 1st I could break traction at any time by getting on the throttle. Now cruising in 1st, I can break traction much easier and the tires spin much faster, almost like a rollin burnout. Redline shift to 2nd and the tires break traction easier and longer, before regaining traction. Redline shift to 3rd the tires spin for a half sec whereas before they would just chirp 3rd. That's the reason I always go CAI on all my cars.

· Registered
333 Posts
Glad you brought this up - I was looking at this the other day and that's what it seemed to me (that it was bringing-in fresh air)
Yep it is CAI style so I basically fed the SRI into the CAI box and with a heat shield and the higher flow of the Takeda Filter I think you get the best performance you can. I really think the CAI is a waste of your time on the v6 when it is already designed this way.

· Registered
352 Posts
Yep it is CAI style so I basically fed the SRI into the CAI box and with a heat shield and the higher flow of the Takeda Filter I think you get the best performance you can. I really think the CAI is a waste of your time on the v6 when it is already designed this way.
Agree - a SRI, and hi-flo air filter should do a good job unless you are going all-out

· Registered
107 Posts
CAI to do or not to do?

Yep it is CAI style so I basically fed the SRI into the CAI box and with a heat shield and the higher flow of the Takeda Filter I think you get the best performance you can. I really think the CAI is a waste of your time on the V-6 when it is already designed this way.
I spent thousands of dollars on my pristine 3 Series super charged BMW by the time I sold it and bought my 2015 Accord EX-L Coupe.
In the humble beginnings I started out with an expensive Dinan CAI. I actually spent the money to do a baseline dyno on my car even before the Dinan CAI.
For what they cost and the single-digit HP gains that you will make with one I find them more of a noise maker than anything else. This is my own opinion, but I feel the money would be better spent on Pre-Cat deletes, a KTuner, J-pipe, even an aftermarket Cat Back exhaust system.
I don't know about the 3.5L Honda V-6 but all I know is on my in-line BMW six the CAI added 5 whp and cost over $400. But I think what was worse was the God awful intake sound that the engine made at WOT. I was more than happy to give up the 5 whp for a significant reduction in intake tract noise.
Please don't beat me up too hard.....
Thanks!!!

Attachments

· Registered
333 Posts
Yeah I don't think i'd put one on a BMW they just don't sound good on them. The hondas have been done a little better IMO. That being said I completely agree with you on the gains vs the price. I would never spend 400 on a SRI or CAI. That's why I bought the Takeda online from a guy for 150 and I've now got a slightly better sound IMO and a washable higher flow filter. Even if it's 3hp gain [good chance] it's not terrible for such a small investment. I woulda been buying a quality k&n washable anyways at probably 50 so why not.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.