Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Isn't the stock V6 air filter assembly essentially a cold air intake? The air inlet duct on my car appears to be in front of the engine atop the plastic inner cowl assembly. I know coming from a 2006 Acura TL most of the people that modified their air intake systems modified the stock air box for best results and no worries about water lock.

· Auto Mechanic
35 Posts
I installed the Injen Hydroshield Pre-filter with CAI. It's supposed to help prevent water from entering the intake.

I did have a slight problem with the by-pass pipe touching the fuel line. I originally put some foam tape in between but now wrapped it with rubber hose to prevent it from rubbing through.

Anyone else have this problem?

Also the Injen badge was placed too far back. Injen customer service sent me a new badge but I haven't installed it yet

Attachments

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
I installed the Injen Hydroshield Pre-filter with CAI. It's supposed to help prevent water from entering the intake.
There is constantly water entering your engine, it's called humidity. That's all that will enter until it gets submerged far enough, and then you'll have liquid water destroying your connecting rods, regardless of if you have a hydroshield or not. I run one because I got it for free, I think it does a better job of keeping the pleats clean than it does preventing water from entering.

I did have a slight problem with the by-pass pipe touching the fuel line. I originally put some foam tape in between but now wrapped it with rubber hose to prevent it from rubbing through.

Anyone else have this problem?
I didn't have this issue which is interesting. Your sig said you have a '14? I know those lines get really hot, I wonder if it says the max temperature that plastic line can withstand on it? Maybe there was an incorrect cut of line placed onto your car for some reason. I'll take a picture of mine if I can remember.

· Premium Member
1,959 Posts
For anyone concerned with hydrolock while using the Injen CAI, I refer you to the top photo in post #42. That entire air filter would have to be submerged to suck up water enough for hydrolock to occur. That would be sustained driving through water that is over a foot deep. If you plan to drive through water that deep, you have bigger issues to be concerned about than hydrolock.

· Registered
107 Posts
I agree that there is nothing wrong with the washable types, like the K&N replacement for the stock V-6 filter. But most of the CAI that are available and are the short-ram type. They do usually use some form of plastic enclosure around the filter element along with a rubber gasket to seal on the underside of the hood.
Like was previously mentioned I do know that my V-6 has the air intake directly in the front of the car right where air from the outside can be directed through the filter box then to the valve body.
I will admit that there are some measurable gains to be made from an after-market CAI. In my case the air comes from outside the engine compartment and while the car is in motion this only increases the amount of cold air into the intake system.
Back to the short-ram types and they get their air from directly under the hood, where temperatures can reach considerably higher than whatever the outside ambient temperature is. The only way around this would be an after-cooler but that is something you would never find on a naturally aspirated engine only a forced induction one.
Just my $.02

· Registered
8 Posts
I agree that there is nothing wrong with the washable types, like the K&N replacement for the stock V-6 filter. But most of the CAI that are available and are the short-ram type. They do usually use some form of plastic enclosure around the filter element along with a rubber gasket to seal on the underside of the hood.
Like was previously mentioned I do know that my V-6 has the air intake directly in the front of the car right where air from the outside can be directed through the filter box then to the valve body.
I will admit that there are some measurable gains to be made from an after-market CAI. In my case the air comes from outside the engine compartment and while the car is in motion this only increases the amount of cold air into the intake system.
Back to the short-ram types and they get their air from directly under the hood, where temperatures can reach considerably higher than whatever the outside ambient temperature is. The only way around this would be an after-cooler but that is something you would never find on a naturally aspirated engine only a forced induction one.
Just my $.02
Seems like the stock air intake is pretty good. I haven't found any dyno sheets that prove an aftermarket makes substantial gains over stock.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.