Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted a little more sound from my engine and bought the Injen CAI for my 2014 V6. I went with the Injen because I have read that it's the only intake that doesn't mess with the factory tune. I was curious about what changes I might see in intake temps and also what effect changing the intake might have on fuel trim corrections. I happen to have a OBD2 monitor which I hooked up a week or so before installing the intake. My IATs prior to installing the intake would usually hang around 8 degrees above ambient while underway (much higher at idle). STFT corrections would generally stay between +2 and -5 under all conditions. LTFT would generally be between -3 and -5 at all times. So normal fuel trim corrections as far as I understand.

After installing the CAI, I cleared the ecu memory to reset LTFT.

My impressions: I didn't expect to notice any performance gains, and indeed I did not, I was really just in it for the sound. Cruising around, the intake sound was no different from stock. Under full throttle, I was pleased by the nice growl because it was subtle, but definitely noticeable. However, once Vtec engaged, OMG! It sounded like my exhaust had fallen off. OK, maybe not quite that dramatic, but a bit louder than I had bargained for. I can't believe so much extra noise comes from a different cam profile. Anyhow, I must be getting old because it was a little too loud for my taste.

Now onto the effect on IAT and fuel trims. The intake temps dropped to between 3 and 4 degrees above ambient while cruising and would come down much quicker after idling. The STFT and LTFT corrections did change a bit as well. STFT was usually around -10 or so with light throttle cruising and might come down to -4 or so under moderate or heavy throttle. LTFT was anywhere between -9 and -12 at all times. So it would appear that, despite Injen's claim, the intake did make the engine run rich.

I decided to put the stock air box back on for now because I found the CAI a little too loud under Vtec, and I wasn't totally comfortable with the extra fuel trim correction without a tune. Without the intake resonator in place my IATs are now about 10 degrees above ambient, so I'm going to try running a hose from the stock air box to the fog light area for cooler air supply.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
With the stock air box the issue isn't where the system is getting the air (it is getting cold air from above the grill and under the leading edge of the hood), the issue is the size of the system that is a huge heat bank.

And I'd give a strong guess that if you'd have driven the car for a little while with the Injen in place the fuel trims would have evened out. The trims on my car have always been great but I never checked them the very day I installed the Injen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Now onto the effect on IAT and fuel trims. The intake temps dropped to between 3 and 4 degrees above ambient while cruising and would come down much quicker after idling. The STFT and LTFT corrections did change a bit as well. STFT was usually around -10 or so with light throttle cruising and might come down to -4 or so under moderate or heavy throttle. LTFT was anywhere between -9 and -12 at all times. So it would appear that, despite Injen's claim, the intake did make the engine run rich.
This is a good thing. The ecu is making a correction to add more fuel because you're adding more air. If nothing changed, it would mean you are basically the same as stock. STFT -10 is the limit before you should look to retune.

·
cvt - NOT
1,286 Posts
The other issue the OP had was the intake sound under hard acceleration. The OP realized the intake sound with the Injen was a bit much for his taste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts