Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently noticed an oil leak from the PCV valve:

The PCV valve was replaced 4 years ago, with Beck/Arnley 045-0358. It was exactly the same as OEM. So, I ordered another Beck/Arnley. No longer "Made in Japan". When I was installing it, it came apart (due to insufficient glue?). This is the internal structure of PCV valve:

I ended up removing the O-rings from the broken PCV valve, and switched to the old one. Then the broken was returned. The oil leak is stopped.

Tool Line Gas Household hardware Auto part

The PCV valve seems very simple: 2 springs and 1 plastic piece. I think as long as we clean the valve with carb-cleaner once in a while, it should never cause a problem.

BTW, unlike other PCV valves, the V6 PCV valve doesn't make obvious "click" noise, we can tell from the internal structure. I think the proper testing procedure should be: blow into the middle hole (covering the other side). Air should come out from the bottom end; blow into the bottom end, air should not come out.

·
Elvira
3,841 Posts
I gracefully disagree with the statement that the V6 PCV doesn't click. Maybe the BeckArnely doesn't but the OEM (still made in Japan) from Honda definitely does.

Cleaning the old valve is a viable option until the spring eventually relaxes to a point where it doesn't operate correctly.

Not sure HOW to tell when the spring goes bad but maybe changing it every 5? years maybe ?

PS don't put the used PCV near your mouth even if cleaned @visionguru, that oil or carb cleaner is nasty bad for us.

Agree with @markbasin nice writeup.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Beck Arnley use to buy a lot of oem parts & then rebranded them. Some years ago their model switched & more of the parts they sold were made in China.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
983 Posts
You have to be careful with the V6 PCV valve. They tend to break pretty easily during removal, then you have to figure out how to get it out.

Reactions: TX Accord

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
626 Posts
I snapped my PCV recently, and had to chisel it out. Part of it is still in the valve cover, but it fell into the oil separator, and it big enough I don't think it'll hurt anything. I replaced it with a PCV I picked up at the junkyard. Both rattled when shaken, but don't make any apparent noise when I pinched the vacuum hose. The junkyard one also let water flow through both ways, so the spring in it might be dead. I guess I'll order a new one then.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Both my old OEM one and the Standard Motor V384 replacement from RockAuto click, while shaking it.
I snapped my PCV recently, and had to chisel it out. Part of it is still in the valve cover, but it fell into the oil separator, and it big enough I don't think it'll hurt anything. I replaced it with a PCV I picked up at the junkyard. Both rattled when shaken, but don't make any apparent noise when I pinched the vacuum hose. The junkyard one also let water flow through both ways, so the spring in it might be dead. I guess I'll order a new one then.
I gracefully disagree with the statement that the V6 PCV doesn't click. Maybe the BeckArnely doesn't but the OEM (still made in Japan) from Honda definitely does.

Cleaning the old valve is a viable option until the spring eventually relaxes to a point where it doesn't operate correctly.

Not sure HOW to tell when the spring goes bad but maybe changing it every 5? years maybe ?

PS don't put the used PCV near your mouth even if cleaned @visionguru, that oil or carb cleaner is nasty bad for us.

Agree with @markbasin nice writeup.
:unsure: This is the 3rd time for me to replace PCV valves on 7th gen V6 (1x on 05Hybrid, 2x on 07V6). I've examined 2 new OEMs, 3 used OEMs (at about 150K miles, and 20K miles), and 1 Beck/Arnley non-OEM. I didn't find any difference in its behavior : a muted rattle that can only be heard when placed close to the ear.

The plastic plunger is restrained by two springs on both side. Which ever the direction the plunger moves, there is always spring tension against it. I think that's why the "click" is muted.

Speaking of "click", my 3rd gen PCV valve can be heard from across the street, big difference.

@Miker, springs won't go bad that easily. I know that 150K miles later the PCV value is still good. Most failures are probably caused by gunk building up, which can be cleaned by carb-cleaner.
BTW, I wrapped the pcv valve inside a nitrile glove, and poked a hole to blow inside, so that air leak will show up like a balloon. No direct contact with the PCV valve.

Reactions: Miker

·
Registered
7 Posts
P
You have to be careful with the V6 PCV valve. They tend to break pretty easily during removal, then you have to figure out how to get it out
How come no one makes a metal one just like it would it be difficult also is there an alternative to the inferior plastic one just had another one break on me today I just simply removed the elongated pieces and stuck the cap or top back on just be able to drive it to work until I can order a replacement it makes the idle slightly higher according to the RPM needle I noticed my fuel trims are slightly higher too I would like know is there an alternative to the plastic crap and the headache it cause’s before I order thanks

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
P
How come no one makes a metal one just like it would it be difficult also is there an alternative to the inferior plastic one just had another one break on me today I just simply removed the elongated pieces and stuck the cap or top back on just be able to drive it to work until I can order a replacement it makes the idle slightly higher according to the RPM needle I noticed my fuel trims are slightly higher too I would like know is there an alternative to the plastic crap and the headache it cause’s before I order thanks
Buy OEM, that is made of quality materials and make sure that engine gets appropriate cooling, do not run it hot and should be fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda took a great V6 engine and messed it up I would like to say the F word but I’ll hold my peace for now because my J30 V6 on my 2000 accord EX-V6 with 247610K miles on it runs better than my 2010 EXL V6 Coupe J35 with just 110356K miles as of this post thanks but no thanks Honda for that stupid VCM ECO system that I recently ordered a device from EBay that disables it thank god and allows me to have full V6 power I hope Honda will soon realize some things are just better left alone

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Honda took a great V6 engine and messed it up I would like to say the F word but I’ll hold my peace for now because my J30 V6 on my 2000 accord EX-V6 with 247610K miles on it runs better than my 2010 EXL V6 Coupe J35 with just 110356K miles as of this post thanks but no thanks Honda for that stupid VCM ECO system that I recently ordered a device from EBay that disables it thank god and allows me to have full V6 power I hope Honda will soon realize some things are just better left alone
Why haven't you installed vcm muzzler much earlier?
In case you missed the news, v6 is pretty much dead in the water. Look around you everything is going 4 banger with a whimpy turbsky bolted right up to it. Recently Honda released a statement that they are going all electric by 2040. They closed a plant in Japan.
We're all going green whether we want it or not, it's all about mandates and crap.
All you can do is take care of the last breed and enjoy as long as you can keep that thing on the road. There is way too many unnecessary nannies implemented in the new vehicle, to allow dumb people spend more time facebookin and tiktokin 2hike driving. Crap, take drive through your street and watch those who walk their dogs, they're more focused on the phone screen than that poor animal dangling on the other side of the leash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to be careful with the V6 PCV valve. They tend to break pretty easily during removal, then you have to figure out how to get it out.
Your right about this style of PCV another dumb honda move I've had 2 break on me already including the original and one from ebay made by standard motor products I recently purchased one probably the last of the last that are made in Japan bought from advanced auto carquest brand for $29.00 bucks to my surprise still made in Japan with a June 2020 MFG date I was shocked was expecting China I ran with it grinning I considered myself very lucky the sales girl said it was the last one and had been on the shelf since last year I could tell the little carton that it comes in was quite dusty could've gotten it off ebay for $16.00 but I needed it very badly didn't have time to have it shipped the local honda stealership wanted now get this $85 bucks wow !!! then told me I have standby for 2 days just an unbelievable Ripoff these really are a dumb design honda did I wish somebody would get the balls to make these out of metal they would be much better than these stupid plastic ones that the engine heat and oil makes brittle overtime it was stupid for honda to do this for the great j series 3.5 V6 that honda goofed with that stupid VCM system that will actually damage your plugs and torque converter they got sued too

If your lucky and want one still made in Japan check out carquest or advanced auto first don't overpay at the stealership

Why haven't you installed vcm muzzler much earlier?
In case you missed the news, v6 is pretty much dead in the water. Look around you everything is going 4 banger with a whimpy turbsky bolted right up to it. Recently Honda released a statement that they are going all electric by 2040. They closed a plant in Japan.
We're all going green whether we want it or not, it's all about mandates and crap.
All you can do is take care of the last breed and enjoy as long as you can keep that thing on the road. There is way too many unnecessary nannies implemented in the new vehicle, to allow dumb people spend more time facebookin and tiktokin 2hike driving. Crap, take drive through your street and watch those who walk their dogs, they're more focused on the phone screen than that poor animal dangling on the other side of the leash.
Didn't realize these had an issue with cylinder management or VCM until purchased my 2010 coupe second hand from Texas and just so happened to be surfing the internet and came across a thread about how honda took the great J series v6 and FK them up with that stupid VCM tech my 2000 honda accord is the original J30 series with coil packs Non VCM just straight V6 power to bad it has a crappie tranny which i just bought a rebuild kit from eBay I plan to restore the car to its former glory new paint axles and all it currently sitting in my front yard for a year now tranny coughed out at 247,810 K miles first it stopped reversing then stopped going forward then both and if it decided to go forth it only went iabout 3 feet before comng to a complete then I would wait for 5 or 6 minutes it go forth but not reverse and vice versa would flash the D light the tranny CEL I knew it was over lol 😉

1 - 15 of 15 Posts