Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crystal Black Pearle Accord Touring
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to clean the inside of my rims on my ex l accord. I am thinking I could use bar keepers friend to get the brake dust and stuff off. Does anyone have a suggestion to help keep the brake dust and stuff off the inside of the rim? I guess I could clean inside the rim when I rotate the tires.

Oh, while the rims are off the car, I want to clean the wheel wells. I guess just use car wash soap and water to clean? Do you all use armor all in there or something else?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any good polymer sealant - nu finish at the grocery store , Rejex or blackfire wet diamond

the hands down best is opti coat 2.0 - google it..it is a permanent coating...
Nu finish, rejex, opti coat 2.0 or blackfire wet diamond, one of those is what I need to use to seal the inside of the rims and wheel wells? You seem to know what you are talking about; so using bar keepers should be safe to use on the inside of my rims?

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,293 Posts
Nu finish, rejex, opti coat 2.0 or blackfire wet diamond, one of those is what I need to use to seal the inside of the rims and wheel wells? You seem to know what you are talking about; so using bar keepers should be safe to use on the inside of my rims?
you can use bar keepers - I'd use dawn diswashing detergent...or do it right and go to autogeek.net and use sonax wheel cleaner -

then use all of the stuff I listed all over the wheel to protect it - 2 coats 12 hours apart...

·
Registered
16 Posts
A wheel cleaner from meguiars and such will do the job, with some agitation and then finish with a sealant and wax

Check autopia.org, autogeek.net

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
any good polymer sealant - nu finish at the grocery store , Rejex or blackfire wet diamond

the hands down best is opti coat 2.0 - google it..it is a permanent coating...
Do you use the OC 2.0 on your cars exterior or are you still using the BF products as outlined in your PDF?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
glen, im getting new wheels soon (powder coated). would you recommend putting two coats of opti coat? i plan to do it 2 days apart. then a day after that, finish it off and put the sonax netshield for even more protection and so dust/dirt/water can repel off even more. so basically i want to put 2 coats of OC 2.0 and 1 coat of sonax netshield.

tnx

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
also, how long do u recommend i leave the OC on the wheels before i buff it off? 5 minutes or 15?

sry to threadjack btw. figures this helps the OP too lol

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Personally, from the BF line I would use the All Metal Sealant vs. the Wet Diamond as it has more heat resistance (so they say). I use this on my wheels and tailpipe finishers. If you don't want to spend that kind of dough, then try Collinite 845. Best of course would be a coating as Glen mentions. Either way, you still want to keep your barrels clean between sealants/coatings, so you need to get a Daytona Speedmaster. Dilute some carwash soap in a 32 oz. spray bottle, maybe 1 oz. soap to 32 oz. of water. Spray the rims and barrels and let dwell for a couple minutes then hit the barrels with the speedmaster. You don't want to use APC or a harsh soap like Dawn if you use a sealant as you will lessen the life of the sealant. Something like Megs Gold Class or Duragloss 901 would be good.

Also, I'm with Glen on the Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner too, especially if you are going to take the wheels off the car and give them a good cleaning. Best to spray this on a dry wheel and let it do its thing for a 3-5 minutes. Not a bad idea to clay after the Sonax too. If you have any chunks of tar, remove those with something like TarX before you clay and after the Sonax (just make sure you stay away from the adhesive on the wheel weights if they are the stick-on kind).

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,293 Posts
also, how long do u recommend i leave the OC on the wheels before i buff it off? 5 minutes or 15?

sry to threadjack btw. figures this helps the OP too lol
read the directions on a site for OC, there is no buffing....try autogeek.net - don't add your thinking to this...you need one coat of OC, nothing more...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of great suggestion here, thank you. I ended up using bar keepers. Now my question is for the clumps of asphalt inside the rim, how to get ride of that safely? And inside the creases, will wheel cleaner clean that off?

Duho, i just read WDMAccord's post and see where he answers this exact question. Thanks WDMAccord!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts