Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been quite a while since I bought my Inspire fogs (and they've been patiently waiting in my garage for their time to shine), but I finally mustered up the confidence to install them after finally getting myself an OEM switch and a new Dremel ...

Part of my hesitation stemmed from running automotive electrical (I've never really been a fan, don't really know why but it's never been my cup of tea), and part from not finding enough pics of just what I'd be getting myself into once I had the front bumper off the car, as far as cutting the OEM fog housing. You really do end up removing a lot, definitely not for the faint of heart.

So, I unboxed my fogs, and laid everything I'd need out on the workbench; including heat shrink, soldering iron, OEM fog switch, and all wiring.

Following Ben's excellent advice and write up, http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82024 (which I referred to several time's when splicing in the OEM switch), I soldered and heat shrank some wiring to an OEM switch I picked up last weekend from a local dealership;

After I had the front bumper removed (there's a few really good video's online for doing this so I didn't bother with any pics) and up on the table I got out the Dremel, my trusty safety glasses, and the housing so I could keep "dry fitting" the housing without taking too much material off the original fog housing;

After the first round of cutting;

Final cuts done, I ended up with this left over - because I wanted to keep the Inspire housings (this step took a crazy amount of time removing a small amount of housing - then test fitting the Inspire housing - removing a little more - test fitting) ;

With some heavy duty 3M double sided tape, and a very healthy amount of rubber cement I've got the lights sitting flush, exactly where I want them;

Rinse and repeat to the other side, and once things where all said and done;

*on a side note, when pulling the wire from the interior into the engine bay I used a spare length of wire to pull through the bundle ... with my big paws, I had to perform some circus tricks to get my hand down to the grommet just to the right of the brake booster;

Edit - I will add these two pics of the stock bumper housing once I was done removing material ... note that the rounded corners are gone, and I had to take the sides down all the way to the very first "step in" of the mould (it steps in a few times, you'll understand this once you're looking at it.

Overall, I'm VERY HAPPY with the outcome. The Inspire's give Betty's smile an extra little glamour ... I did however underestimate how much time I'd be spending, first with the soldering, then with the cutting and mounting of the fogs themselves, and then lastly with actually removing the interior panels and switch wiring. In total, I spent the better part of 6 hours spread over the last two days getting this finished.

Being patient and purposeful lead to a clean finish, and one I can proudly say I diy'd !!

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Excellent write up and information provided. I will certainly be using this for my install.

One questions: did you pull through and existing grommet that has wires running through it or somewhere else? I remember installing off road lights on my old Pathfinder you either removed the plug where the clutch pedal would be (on an AT) or drilled your own new hole (MT). Being as I have an MT and also have bear paws for hands (and a 6'4" frame that doesn't fit well under the steering wheel), I need to mentally prepare myself for the torture I will endure while installing these.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent write up and information provided. I will certainly be using this for my install.

One questions: did you pull through and existing grommet that has wires running through it or somewhere else? I remember installing off road lights on my old Pathfinder you either removed the plug where the clutch pedal would be (on an AT) or drilled your own new hole (MT). Being as I have an MT and also have bear paws for hands (and a 6'4" frame that doesn't fit well under the steering wheel), I need to mentally prepare myself for the torture I will endure while installing these.
I'm 6'-0" myself, and my left shoulder is hurting today (being a leftie didn't help this situation at all) from contorting under the steering wheel last night ... not that I'm whining, just agreeing it's a PITA.

Once you've got the bottom cover off the dash (the one under the steering wheel, and right above the pedals) look up and to the left from the pedals and you'll see the main grommet and harness going through the fire wall. I used some kitchen scissors to poke a hole is the extra meat of the grommet around the harness (there's a good 3/4" of grommet around the 1" harness here), and then a long flathead to push through the "pull wire" I showed above.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I'm 6'-0" myself, and my left shoulder is hurting today (being a leftie didn't help this situation at all) from contorting under the steering wheel last night ... not that I'm whining, just agreeing it's a PITA.

Once you've got the bottom cover off the dash (the one under the steering wheel, and right above the pedals) look up and to the left from the pedals and you'll see the main grommet and harness going through the fire wall. I used some kitchen scissors to poke a hole is the extra meat of the grommet around the harness (there's a good 3/4" of grommet around the 1" harness here), and then a long flathead to push through the "pull wire" I showed above.
Thanks for the info. And I'm a lefty too. Excellent.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Very nice writeup and clean install. I applaud you for using solder and heat-shrink tubing.

The results look good! Good work.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Glad to help, buddy, and lights look good! :thmsup:

·
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D
229 Posts
Possible silly question here, but only because I havent actually done the install yet . . .

How difficult is it to replace one of the bulbs in the inspire fogs once the install is complete?

I'm considering upgrading the h11s to h9s for higher lumen output when I do my install this weekend. I'd like to see how the h11s I already own look first, but if it's going to take me an hour to change the bulbs later, I may just spend the money now.

·
Ken
308 Posts
Joe, my suggestion would be to change the bulbs out now. Although I have a coupe, it's still no walk in the park once everything is installed, unless you're triple-jointed or something. I mean it's not terrible but access is very limited under there.

·
I detail my car, a lot.
651 Posts
Possible silly question here, but only because I havent actually done the install yet . . .

How difficult is it to replace one of the bulbs in the inspire fogs once the install is complete?

I'm considering upgrading the h11s to h9s for higher lumen output when I do my install this weekend. I'd like to see how the h11s I already own look first, but if it's going to take me an hour to change the bulbs later, I may just spend the money now.
I don't think it's that bad at all, I mean it's a pain to change just about any bulb in out front bumper but the fogs aren't any different. I have gone through the wheel well for both sides and it works fine. It's not the best but it works, you can also open the hood and remove the clips for the radiator cover and the grill insert and set them aside and reach the bulbs fairly easily.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it's that bad at all, I mean it's a pain to change just about any bulb in out front bumper but the fogs aren't any different. I have gone through the wheel well for both sides and it works fine. It's not the best but it works, you can also open the hood and remove the clips for the radiator cover and the grill insert and set them aside and reach the bulbs fairly easily.
^ this ..... definitely the easiest way; as long as your arms are long enough to reach them !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts