Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife took her 2013 Honda Acord EX-L to Audio One in Newport News, VA. For the first iteration, she had the following components installed (completely bypassing the factory amp):

Front: Polk db5251
Rear: Polk db651s
Subwoofer LoD: Audio Control LC2i
Mono Amp: Kicker ZX500.1
Subwoofer: Kicker S12L34

She got the car back and loved the bass, but there was not enough output from the surrounds. As a 2nd step, she had the following components installed in addition to what was previously installed:

Surround LoD: Kicker ZXSUM8 (Summing Interface)
4-channel amp: Kicker IX500.4

Her friend drove the car back and did not really test the system. When she tested it today, there were several issues. Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong? She is calling the install shop tomorrow to chew them out, but I would like to give her some possible issues. Thanks much!

1) The subwoofer cuts in and out
2) There is a constant feedback noise in the surround speakers
3) If you power off the deck and cut the interior speakers by the Kicker remote, the tweeters continue still producing a static sound. The only way to kill the static is to turn off the engine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did they use speaker level inputs for the 4 channel? If so, sounds like my problem. I'm told I need to use a LOC. Have it on order, so we'll see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they use speaker level inputs for the 4 channel? If so, sounds like my problem. I'm told I need to use a LOC. Have it on order, so we'll see.
Actually they installed the Kicker ZXSUM8 between the stock head unit and the 4-channel amp.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Actually they installed the Kicker ZXSUM8 between the stock head unit and the 4-channel amp.
I'm not familiar with that, but if you have engine noise through the speakers, then it's either a bad ground, EMI from a power wire or signal interference from the factory head unit.

·
Chocolate Lady
269 Posts

Which of his issues does this comment pertain to?
I am really curious because I'm having some aftermarket audio issues but I've been to lazy to start a thread. So I'm curious about his issues.

This might sound like a dumb question but what is the difference between speaker level inputs and an LOC??
(it is hard to understand some of the audio install jargon; i know nothing about the installation of this stuff).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Which of his issues does this comment pertain to?
I am really curious because I'm having some aftermarket audio issues but I've been to lazy to start a thread. So I'm curious about his issues.

This might sound like a dumb question but what is the difference between speaker level inputs and an LOC??
(it is hard to understand some of the audio install jargon; i know nothing about the installation of this stuff).
Speaker level inputs are when you run the factory speaker signals right into the amp. Certain amps have that feature. A Line Output Converter (LOC) converts speaker signals into RCA outputs, which are the standard input connection on an amp.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most 4-channel amplifiers have speaker level inputs and RCA inputs. Most 2-channel or mono amplifiers only have RCA inputs. A Line Output Device converts the speaker level inputs into a RCA output. Some devices, such as the Audio Control LC7i, have other features like automatically corrects for the bass roll-off, adjustable output levels per channel, and even automatic summing for combining multiple channels into one.

·
Chocolate Lady
269 Posts
Speaker level inputs are when you run the factory speaker signals right into the amp. Certain amps have that feature. A Line Output Converter (LOC) converts speaker signals into RCA outputs, which are the standard input connection on an amp.

Most 4-channel amplifiers have speaker level inputs and RCA inputs. Most 2-channel or mono amplifiers only have RCA inputs. A Line Output Device converts the speaker level inputs into a RCA output. Some devices, such as the Audio Control LC7i, have other features like automatically corrects for the bass roll-off, adjustable output levels per channel, and even automatic summing for combining multiple channels into one.
Helpful info. Thank you both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did they put in new speaker wires as well?

I would also check to see if the speaker wires or RCAs are on the same side as the power wire.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did they put in new speaker wires as well?

I would also check to see if the speaker wires or RCAs are on the same side as the power wire.
I ran my speaker wire for the left and right front channels on opposite sides of the car, and I have engine noise in all 4 speaker locations. I'm guessing it's not EMI. Probably a bad ground or speaker line input noise from the factory head unit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Make sure anc is disabled.
Theman is correct.

If it is not ground loop hum, then it is most definitely ANC. Active noise Correction will create this sound you are describing in aftermarket -> OEM integrations. Disable the ANC and your noise will be gone

·
MSM EX-L
181 Posts
Yea i would look at disconnecting the ANC module too. Do a search on the 9th gen forms or on here, the audio forms. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, let the audio shop know about it. And as far as the sub cutting out, it could be that they have the gains on the amp set wrong and the amp is cuting out to protect itself. I would just take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts