Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
For the latest revision of my install, I decided to change the trunk, completely. But first, a little overview of what’s gone on over the last three years.

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L
OEM Premium H/U
Harness
Helix DSP Pro
Helix Director
Phoenix Gold Ti21600.5
Phoenix Gold Ti21000.4
Phoenix Gold DD5
Phoenix Gold Power and Ground Distribution Blocks
Hertz Mille ML280
Hertz Mille ML700
Hertz Mille ML1600
Image Dynamics IDQ12V3D4
All of the equipment is staying the same, with a second Ti21600.5 replacing the Ti21000.4, and a pair of Dynaudio MD140/2’s for rear speakers, and a pair of JL 12TW3’s in place of the IDQ.

The mids and tweeters are in custom pillars that I made last year (with more pics in revision 2 of my install log). The midbass drivers are mounted in the OEM locations using custom rings in the doors which have been heavily dampened using Raammat and ensolite. The original install used a single 12” Image Dynamics sub in a spare tire well enclosure. it was very handy, very hidden, and sounded great, just not loud enough! Over the years I’ve been planning on using a pair of subs in side panel enclosures but I knew the depth of my current sub wouldn’t work well with the “slim” idea of side panel enclosures. Having used JL amps and subs in the past lead me to look toward the newer TW3 subs. This new setup also gave me the ability to try something else I’ve always wanted, twin five channel amps, one per side. Some will say it’s the ultimate in stereo separation, other like it due to the ease of a symmetrical layout. Either way, I think I’ve found the best combination of power and flexibility, plus it never hurts to have 3000 watts RMS in your daily driver! My biggest hurdle is the huge battery in the trunk due to the Hybrid drive train so my enclosures ended up being deeper than I wanted, but it’s worth it! As a random side note, the overall frequency response between the original layout and the new one is quite similar, for those that care.

Enough of the talking, lets get to the pics. I started with a piece of 3/4” MDF as the base on both sides. I taped off the OEM side panels and went to town with some resin and mat. I eventually trimmed down a piece of 3/4” MDF to get a shape I was happy with and began the process of mating the front panel to the back half. Once they were mated together, a little EAS Matter and some sanding led to a sealed box that’s approximately 0.8 cu ft per side. Both enclosures have been deadened and secured into the car with some 3/8” bolts. The subs are secured to the enclosure using some 8-32” barbed nuts, and stainless button head machine screws. The enclosures were wrapped in a piece of charcoal carpet, and a grill was made using expanded metal and wrapped in the same carpet.

Hybrid install V3 by Mike Lashlee, on Flickr
Hybrid install V3 by Mike Lashlee, on Flickr
New trunk install by Mike Lashlee, on Flickr
Untitled by Mike Lashlee, on Flickr

Like I eluded to earlier, the new side panels allowed me to swap up amps, which required me to make a new amp rack. The old amp rack under the rear deck worked great, except that the old layout wouldn’t hold both five channel amps. Since the spare tire well was now empty, it was a prime location for the major pieces to make a new home. I had enough room to fit the two amps, the DD5 as well as the DSP Pro. I also added some edge lit plexi under all four pieces for a little extra flair. The amps were mounted to a tig welded steel rack made from 1/2” x 1” box tubing, and bolted to a panel that’s bolted to the trunk floor pan with some 1/4-20 rivnuts. The amps were mounted on a 45 degree angle for space, and all components were mounted with 8-32 stainless button head machine screws.

Just like the last version of the trunk, I still want it to be useable so a new cover is next on the list. Since I also needed it to be vented due to all of the heat creating equipment I decided to use a template I made years ago, like twenty years! It was for a trim panel for a Soundstream 405 that was powering a set of 12W6’s, but I never got around to using it. Anyways, I used the cutout of the JL logo to make some openings, trimmed in black vinyl, with some edge lit plexi and a metal mesh grill that has been bent in a press for strength, plus it looks cool! The upper panel fills the hole while still maintaining the venting for cooling. So far the amps have kept their cool, staying below 116 degrees F.

Thanks for looking, and let me know what you think. I’m pumped with how it turned out, and now it’s time to get into tuning. Feel free to ask any questions, and I will be taking some pics of the old enclosure and trim panel to put up in the classifieds.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Looks fantastic and I am sure it sounds great too! Nice job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks great. I wish I had fiberglass skills like that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
First prize winner! Attention to detail is awesome. All of us agree.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is probably one of the best customized installs I've seen here on the site. Great job and lots of heart put into the customization!!

Just had a curious question to ask. How are you supplying power to turn on the LED lights? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is probably one of the best customized installs I've seen here on the site. Great job and lots of heart put into the customization!!

Just had a curious question to ask. How are you supplying power to turn on the LED lights? Thanks!!
Thanks! I really enjoy the work, and appreciate it when others appreciate it! I just wished there was a way for everyone to hear it!

I tapped onto the trunk light. I used a male/female plug to not cut into the OEM light. That way it's only on once the trunk is open. I've also got a three way switch to toggle between the OEM light and the LED's in the install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts