Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you start driving a car that is almost 10 years younger than yours with a lot of the newer creature comforts, you realize just what you are missing in your own car once you start driving it regularly again. In my case those cars are my 2008 Accord EX-L V6 (no nav) and my wife's 2017 CR-V EX-L.

I have a new job that has me going into the office daily now (ugh). That 2017 has all the new stuff that you get in a topped out Honda in 2017. The sound system, though itself not super impressive, does boast CarPlay/Android Auto, Navigation, Backup camera, etc. It made my stock Accord head unit seem, well whimpey.

So that changed yesterday. I had been planning this for a while and assembled the pieces, this is the final result (well almost).

Vehicle Plant Car Motor vehicle Steering part

The head unit is a Kenwood DMX1037S. Total overkill and believe it or not, the only reason I got it was because it has the volume knob (a very hard thing to find today). Otherwise I would have "settled" for the DMX957XR fully in dash. I might still return this and do that if I just decide this is too much.

I'm only running this through the factory amp, which might be temporary. I did that more for ease of use than real application, remember I got this for the features, not the sound quality. But this was also done because interfacing this amp is really easy if ...

... you have a good car interface. And I do. I am using the iDatalink Maestro RR. This goes above and beyond just adapting the plugs from the head unit to the car and actually puts some control there. So things this gets me:
  • All inputs/outputs from the Kenwood to the car are adapted, so preamp outs, etc, all wired in and plug into the factory harness
  • Steering wheel controls work. I know there are other ways to do this, but I now have the Mode / Vol Up-Down / Ch Up-Down all doing their regular features + a long press feature too.
  • Restores the normal display. The function isn't 100% right, I see it get stuck occasionally, but I am glad that isn't blank like I was expecting.
    Vehicle Font Personal luxury car Auto part Electric blue
  • Automatically wired in for backup and e-brake, no need to manually tap into lines for this
  • The Aux port is supposed to be wired in - I still need to test that
  • Gives me all the features that can be read off the OBD2 port. I am still playing with this, but i can display my guages on the kenwood.
All in all, highly recommended.

A few extra features, because I could.

Since the CarPlay is wireless for this head unit, I don't plug in my phone anymore. But I still want to charge it, so I installed a Scosche HAQ01 MagicMount wireless charging base. It's designed to fit right into the lower cubby hole just above the power port. Though you do have to drill which is kind of dumb.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive design

Because I wanted the USB and HDMI ports to come to a clean install I put them in the power port by the seat warmer switches. Pulling the power plug out was kind of a pain, though once you figure out the trip (the metal cylinder is held in my retaining clips on the sides), it comes out pretty easy. So now those are under the dash hidden away.

Hand Vehicle Automotive design Sleeve Steering part

Finally, I am adding a backup camera because after the CR-V that is just a must. Plus this car does have a freakishly long and tall trunk. since I had to install the wires behind and under the dash it's fully wired in now. I also ran the cable to the trunk. But I still need to mount the camera. That's a future project. But I also only need to get the camera cabled to the trunk instead of the whole way to the front.

Overall the install was relatively straight forward and I am pretty happy with the results. Let me know if you have any questions.

A few notes on this:
1. The AUX jack works!!! That's a big PLUS for me. Not that I plan on using it much now, but I didn't lose functionality - great!
2. That USB extender ... Not sure that is 100 good to go. I can't perform a firmware update on this system. I am going to take the dash apart and see if I can use the rear USB port and if I can - then this cable is meh (haven't tested the HDMI yet).

·
8th Gen Believer
4,241 Posts
Wow! Good job guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the USB in the cigarette lighter probably is working, BUT ...

I had an hour or so to kill so I took the lower dash apart to run some tests - I can't update the FW from USB at all, via the USB cable on the head unit. So that's an issue. This weekend with a little more time I am planning on taking the HU out and seeing if that will clear up the issue or if this is just a bad unit (which would be a bummer).

·
Registered
2012 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L
26 Posts
I have a DNX997XR, which does not have a protruding screen.

However, I am able to press an eject button to insert DVDs, CDs, etc. In that area, there is also a SD card slot. Perhaps you can update that way to avoid taking everything apart again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine doesn’t have an SD slot. This one doesn’t have built in nav, so there isn’t an SD slot for that. I’m contacting Kenwood about this because I think this FW is a touch flakey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts